The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 25, 2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Kjb123

Help with forward assist plug install

I am currently building my first ar -15 and have ran into a problem. I bought a foward assist plug instead of a forawrd assist since in my opinion i have no need for it but when looking for a video on how to install the plug there is litterally not one single video on youtube showing you how to install it. I have been looking at videos of installing a foward assist since both are probably pretty similar. But i can not figure this out to save my life. The forward assist plug came with a roll pin and the actual forward assist plug but there is not any hole on the forward assist plug to insert the roll pin in to keep it from moving. I can see a hole in my upper but what does the roll pin go into after it goes through the hole in my upper?
If anyone could give me instructions or give me a link to some instructions or a video i will forever be in your debt lol i have been trying to do this for atleast a hour and im about ready to explode.

Last edited by Kjb123; April 25, 2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old April 25, 2016, 06:05 PM   #2
rickyrick

Probably a groove for the pin to hold it in... Can you post a picture of the plug?
Old April 25, 2016, 06:11 PM   #3
stagpanther

please do not blow yourself up--there's enough of that going on these days. ; )

Take a look at this: http://www.brownells.com/GunTech/Ass....htm?lid=11008

I'm going to take a wild guess that the plug is a variation of the regular assist minus the actual pawl that engages the serration on the bolt carrier--so again I'm guessing the roll pin probably engages the plug somehow to hold it in place--though since there is no pawl to engage the carrier I assume there's no spring either.
Old April 25, 2016, 06:12 PM   #4
fourbore

I used the forward assist today. IMHO - nice to have.

Seems like a waste of time to do away with something that is easier to just install in the hole provided. I bet there is no cost savings either.
Old April 25, 2016, 06:23 PM   #5
Kjb123

Forward assist plug

Old April 25, 2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Kjb123

I cant seem to figure out how to post a photo so heres a link to the picture of it
http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/s...ds/image_1.jpg
Old April 25, 2016, 06:44 PM   #7
fourbore

Here are pics of the plug, the link above does not work for me:

https://www.google.com/search?q=forw...HfIcDwUQsAQIKg

The roll pin is off center and will hold the plug, where you see the minimum diameter. My WAG. Well, almost a certainty.

Last edited by fourbore; April 25, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old April 25, 2016, 06:54 PM   #8
Kjb123

The reason i wanted to do away with the forward assist is because from what i have read it does not seem like a good odea to force a cartridge that doesnt easily slide into battery,into battery (forgive the poor wording of that sentance grammar is definitely not one of my strong suits) because the cartridge obviously has something wrong with it and if you force it in and it does not extract then you have to whip out something to ram down the barrel to get the fired cartridge out. I just dont see a benefit unless maybe you habitually ride the charging handle.
Old April 25, 2016, 06:56 PM   #9
fourbore

You see my 2nd post. The roll pin will hold the plug where it is turned to the min diameter. The roll pin is off center.

And yea, i had a miss feed, rode the handle and gave the assist a tap. Good or bad, I dont know. Maybe I was supposed to dump the round on the ground. This seemed like kindest gentle way to get past the issue.
Old April 25, 2016, 07:00 PM   #10
Kjb123

http://s590.photobucket.com/user/Nit...g.html?filters[user]=93514718&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

Heres the link to the photo of the plug mine definately looks different than the ones on the link you posted. And how would i go about installing it? do i try to push the pin through the hole in the upper reciever and then insert the plug and then finish pushing the roll pin through?
Old April 25, 2016, 07:07 PM   #11
fourbore

Link still not working, can you post a link to where you purchased? Assuming they had a pic.

Or a mfg name and part number than can be googled?
Old April 25, 2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Kjb123

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0176...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for all the help btw
Old April 25, 2016, 08:00 PM   #13
fourbore

This is how I see the roll pin capturing the plug.

This is my first attempt posting a photo. I have a limited quote, this is 10%. I will probably delete this later.

You must push the plug in until flush. You can then use a small diameter rod, nail or punch and verify with a push you got it captured. Then drive in the roll pin. I guess?

Last edited by fourbore; May 3, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old April 25, 2016, 08:02 PM   #14
rickyrick

Great work fourbore

I was contemplating on how to explain it

Pictures worth a thousand words
Old April 25, 2016, 08:13 PM   #15
Mobuck

It's not rocket science-there's a groove in the plug which the retaining pin catches. I put a couple of "vented" FA plugs in two AR's destined for suppressor use but not sure it was worthwhile.
Old April 25, 2016, 08:37 PM   #16
Kjb123

Finally got it! Thanks for the help!
Old April 28, 2016, 08:22 AM   #17
tirod

Glad it worked. Now retract bolt, hold open, load mag, push bolt button and let it slam home every time. That was Stoner's original concept and he designed it for .308's to boot.

For the most part hunters and range shooters don't need an FA, it's about as necessary as a bayonet lug. Your choice to include it or delete it.
Old April 28, 2016, 08:26 AM   #18
Skans

Quote:
I just dont see a benefit unless maybe you habitually ride the charging handle.
When the chamber gets dirty, there are times you may need to "tap" the bolt shut. In that regard, it's no different than having a fixed/reciprocating charging handle on the bolt carrier. Unless you carry a bore snake and a can of Break Free everywhere you go, you my need to smack that FA on occasion. I shoot lots of Wolf Ammo - yes, I've had to use the FA button on occasion.

IMHO, if my AR is damaged because of my use of the forward assist, then it's not a gun worth having.
Old April 28, 2016, 09:22 AM   #19
stagpanther

I wish my Glock had one. LOL
Old April 28, 2016, 11:07 AM   #20
rickyrick

There is a whole other side of the receiver.... Someone should come up with dual foward assists.

Tags
ar-15 , build problems , forward assist