The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2009, 01:32 AM   #1
roach4047

Help me choose a deer hunting shotgun...

As some of you already know I'm in the market for a good used Deer hunting shotgun. I know only a little bit about the topic of shotguns and even less about which ones would make good deer hunting guns. I'm going to be going to a gun show at the end of the month in search of a shot gun that's sole purpose will be to hunt deer with and nothing else. My price range is $300-400. I already have a 3-9 powered bushnell scope that I intend to mount on it. Since I'm going to mount the scope I am looking for a rifled barrel with a cantalever scope mount. I figure I'd be happy with either a Remington 870 with these features or an Ithica Deerslayer 2/3. I'm sure I wouldn't locate a Deerslayer3 in that price range so I figure that's out. I don't know a thing about any other brand of shotguns that would be worth having. I was hoping that you guys could list some viable options that fit the bill for me so that I can take a list with me to the gun show and keep an eye out for a good deer gun. I live in Ohio so rifles are not an option. I'm not interested in muzzle loaders at this time. Please limit your suggestions to good quality used shotguns.

Criteria:
-$300-400 price range.. (bit more or less is ok)
-Pump or Semi auto
-12 guage
-Rifled barrel
-Cantalever scope mount equipt barrel (I'll be mounting a 3-9 bushnell scope)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Roach
Old January 20, 2009, 02:13 AM   #2
vranasaurus

I am not sure about the cantelever scope mount but a rem 870, mossberg 500, or mossberg 835 will all do just fine. In that price range you will almost certainly be looking at a pump gun. For that money you can probably get a new one. I know someone who just before this past hunting season purchased a mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel brand new for around $300. A remington 870 will probbaly be a bit more. I'm not sure how much extra the cantelever mount will cost you. My dad purchased 2 used mosberg 835's for about $250 each and then bought a rifled barrel for one for about $140. When looking for rifled barrels I did see some with cantelever mount and I don't believe they were much more than standard barrels but I can't be certain.

I hunt with a group of about 15 guys. I would say our groups consists of roughly 5 mossbergs (all pump), 5 Rem 870's, 4 Benelli's (2 M2 and 2 SBE), and 1 Browning Auto.

The only malfunction I have seen in any of these guns is this past year when one guy fell into a shallow stream and got water in his tube. The water froze and when he fired and missed he pumped but the ice prevented the next shell from being released from the tube, and a nice buck walked away. It was completely operator error.

So I would say that absent operator error either a rem 870 or mosberg 500 would serve you well.

Hope this helps.
Old January 20, 2009, 04:42 AM   #3
troy_mclure

killed quite a few deer with my mossy 500, and smooth bore deer slayer bbl.

i prefer the 500 over the 870 because i like the safety placement.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 20, 2009, 07:55 AM   #4
protectedbyglock

You may still be able to find a nice Ithaca 37 Deer Slayer for cheap.
They are out there. At a gunshow last year in PA I saw one for $275. It was in good shape.
Old January 20, 2009, 08:40 AM   #5
12GaugeShuggoth

My vote would be for a Mossy 535 Combo. I have one that came with a 28" smooth bore and a 24" rifled barrel. Got it for $300 NIB. I took one deer this year with the smooth barrel (about 45 yards) and one with the rifled barrel (about 100 yards). Can't help with the scope mounts as I don't use one, though the gun came drilled n tapped so adding one wouldn't be hard if you're so inclined.

My only complaint with the gun is that the forestock checkering is fairly rough and makes a scratchy sound against some of my gloves.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 20, 2009, 09:47 AM   #6
roach4047

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm getting really excited to get to the gun show. The truth is that it's difficult for me to hold off that long even though it's just a the end of next week. I find myself wanting to run out and purchase the 870 combo that I know is for sale at the local gun shop but I'm going to resist that temptation and concentrate on doing some more research.

In order my choice of guns I think at this point would be.

1. Current model Ithica Deerslayer.
2. Remington 870.
3. Remington 1187
4. Mossberg.

I really haven't given much thought to the Mossberg other than it's been highly recommended as a consideration. If I am able to locate a Remington 1187 with a rifled barrel in my price range then I'll probably go with that. Something about the Rem 870 is very appealing. I think it's the fact that it is so well recieved by the masses. I would absolutely love to get ahold of an Ithica Deerslayer III but I realize that's not very realistic in my given price range.

Roach
Old January 20, 2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Scattergun Bob

roach4047

I have owned all of your choices at one time or another. You will not go wrong with any of these choices.

Good luck hunting, and Stay Safe
Old January 20, 2009, 02:59 PM   #8
AJG

Roach,

Just dont forget, If your getting a rifled slug barral, thats what its for, slugs / sabot slugs at that , not buckshot. Kinda limits what you can do like still hunting in the creekbed in the thick stuff where 00 buck would be better. Even sitting in a blind on the edge of a power line where the deer is across in 5 seconds when the dogs are on em, wouldnt you think it would be better to have 9-15 pellets of 00 buck in those situations? Now dont get me wrong... I've got a 24 inch rifled cantilever barrel for my M500. Simply love to have that on when I'm sitting on the edge of the finger with 150 yards of open field in front of me.! But I've also go a 18 1/2" cylinder bore and a 28" accu choke that I can change to when I know the situation is going to change.
Good luck.
Alex
Old January 20, 2009, 04:01 PM   #9
vranasaurus

Whether or not he can use buckshot would depend on state law I know buckshot is not allowed in Iowa, where I hunt, but I am not sure about OH.
Old January 20, 2009, 04:07 PM   #10
troy_mclure

buck shot is not allowed in ohio.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 20, 2009, 06:48 PM   #11
TheManHimself

Mossberg sells several pump action slug guns in your price range, including a combo with a .50cal muzzleloader barrel so you can use the same gun for muzzleloader season too. I find the safety placement on the Mossberg 500 to be ergonomically superior to the Remington 870, YMMV.
Old January 20, 2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Boone

You want a cantilevered rifled slug gun with a variable scope. I like a 1.5x 4 or 2x7. Sabots will do as good a job dropping a deer as OO buck at close range, plus you can reach out 200 YDS + and touch one with a well placed shot should you need to. I have a Browning Gold, I used to use a Rem 1100, I also like Ithica.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:01 PM   #13
globemaster3

I own 2 Mossberg 500s with the cantilever scope mounts: one for me in 12 ga, the other in 20 for the kiddos. I took some feral pigs with the 12 ga and it prints 2-2 1/2" groups for me @ 100 yards using the ferderal supreme 400 gr 2-3/4 sabots. The cantilever barrel is ported as well which helps some with the muzzle rise. The 20 I need to dial in some more.

If you are going for a dedicated deer gun, after the initial purchase is complete and you have time to save up some $, you might consider some trigger work. My experience pulling triggers on the 500, 870, and the 1100 is they are fine for bird work, but are a little rough for single-projectile work. Not saying they're terrible, but definitely not optimum.

Good luck at the gun show and I hope you find a suitable match. All the models you mentioned would be great. Just remember to shoulder each one and look for the one that fits you vs taking the first good deal you come across. A good fitting shotgun is worth a couple extra $s IMHO.
Old January 20, 2009, 11:34 PM   #14
roach4047

I would love to come across a good priced Ithica deerslayer storm. That would no doubt be my first choice from what I know of them but I won't be holding my breath in search of one though.

No here in Ohio we aren't permitted to hunt with buckshot... slugs only... thus my reason for purchasing a deer dedicated rifled shotgun.

I was out tonight and came across a .50 cal Knight Disc extreme ML brand spankin new that is extremely tempting priced @ $384.00 for the blued composite and another in SS/composite for $450.00 It's said by many to be the most accurate inline muzzle loader in exhistance. Some claim sub 3" groups and even clover leaves @ 200 yrds with one of these things using sabots.

Roach
Old January 21, 2009, 01:11 AM   #15
Sam Harrison

My 20ga. Mossberg 500 is surprisingly accurate with cheap $3 remington Slugger slugs and Winchester Super-X ones. The odd thing is that even with a regular smoothbore barrel, it still shoots about a 3" group at 60-70 yards. I put a red dot scope on it and it does fine for the short ranges I shoot it at.

Thought about getting a rifled barrel once, but I mostly use it for squirrel hunting and keep a few slugs on me when deer season is in case I see something. Wouldn't shoot it past 60 or so yards like it is, though.

The thing that interested me about Mossberg's 12 gauge shotguns is that they make muzzleloader conversion barrels for them, among other things. Don't own a 12 gauge, but Mossberg's seems like a versatile gun.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:17 AM   #16
troy_mclure

i dropped my 500 for a knight wolverine for deer. at 100m with .44 300gr bullets im super accurate!
Old January 21, 2009, 09:31 PM   #17
Rmart30

ive got or had every brand you mention and all have done well. You did leave out the winchester 1300 though. I have picked up 2 of those, one with rifled barrel which I scoped, and another smooth bore rifle sighted barrel. Each were under $150.
Of the mossbergs ive had ive got no complaints and I prefer the safety location over anything else.
Old January 24, 2009, 10:24 AM   #18
roach4047

Troy,

I just purchased a 50 cal Knight Disc Extreme 26" barrel with a 3x9 variable scope mounted on it. It should be here next week. I think that will do the trick for this next years deer season.

I'm still on the look out for an Ithica Storm...

Roach
Old January 24, 2009, 11:02 AM   #19
PaddyWhacked

Mossberg 500 (or it's cheaper counterpart the Maverick 88 - different safety position though and it bothers some people) gets my vote. Lifetime warranty and exceptional reliability - just don't go trying to take the mag tube off ><

Honestly if you could afford the out of state tags I'd tell you to jump across the river and come hunt in KY. I don't understand OH's logic on not allowing modern rifles. There are a ton of suitable places for modern rifle hunting up there. It's not like every square mile is like OTR.

Last edited by PaddyWhacked; January 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old January 24, 2009, 12:23 PM   #20
butwhat

Slug barrel selection depends on the distance you will be shooting. For close range shots you still can't beat the Remington sluggers. When the shots get further out you need the new sabot slugs.
I like the 870's & the H&R single shots. I also have a Savage bolt action 3" slug gun that I like.
Old January 24, 2009, 07:09 PM   #21
L_Killkenny

Any gun of the brands mentioned will be fine and it comes down to personal tastes and feel. But for gods sake get the idea of a 3-9x outta your head. Get a good 1.5-4X with a good bit of eye relief. If you don't, you'll soon find out why.

Get a smoothbore unless you like to shoot expensive ammo that isn't anymore effective for 99% of deer hunting. Smoothbores also cost less.

Semi's recoil less than pumps. Heavy guns get heavy in the woods, lighter guns hurt more. You have something against a 20 ga? A 20 is plenty big enough.

My pick would be a smoothbore semi-auto 12 or 20 ga with a barrel no long than 22". 20" is even better. That being said, I shoot a 12 ga. 870 because it cost me $175 and I'm too cheap to upgrade.