The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 4, 2018, 07:56 PM   #1
reinert

Recoil pads again

Went to shoot one of my ‘06s yesterday, and I generally like to use my Rand Elite recoil pad when shooting that caliber. Turns out the pad got left at home, but I had my Walmart, el cheapo, knee pads in my vehicle so I grabbed one, put the butt plate in the knee cup area and mounted the rifle to my shoulder. Took a shot and found that the knee pad works as well as anything else I’ve ever used for a recoil pad when at the bench at the range. And all you need is one pad. Got my hunting sighters varified, and the knee pad worked great throughout my session.

FWIW, for a little under 5 bucks (that’s what mine cost) a person can get a set of knee pads, and two recoil pads to use when you forget your high $$ recoil pad at home. The ones I got at Wally World are high density foam, and have the brand name “Tommyco” on them. BTW, one of those pads are almost exactly the same thickness as my Rand pad, so that was a great surprise bonus, too. One pad was all I needed.
Old September 4, 2018, 08:51 PM   #2
jmr40

Flip Flops work too. I was working on a lightweight rig on a budget a few years ago and ordered a High Tech Specialties stock. They are of the same quality as a McMillan or other high end stock, but about 2/3 the cost. The downside is that they come unfinished and without recoil pads. Just the stock right out of the mold.

If someone is willing, and able to do the final fitting, bedding, add a recoil pad and paint it they aren't a bad stock. I bought a $5 pair of Flip Flops from Walmart, cut both to fit and epoxied 2 layers together before grinding them down to fit.

The flip flops are significantly lighter than most commercial recoil pads too. If I ever do another, or have to replace a pad I'll look at the knee pads too. If nothing else using it only at the range is a great idea for load development and zeroing. Good idea.

Winston Churchill