The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 19, 2017, 08:49 PM   #51
Joe_Pike

Quote:
If you have a gun, and it runs about every load in the world BUT ONE, the problem isn't the GUN.
Well, out of the two types of ammo I tried, both had issues. I suppose time will tell. I hope it was just a glitch with the ball ammo and I'll have to use the Hornady Custom in a different gun and try something else in the Sig.
Old October 20, 2017, 02:58 PM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

A friend of mine has had three different Walthers (all 9mm) choke on Cor-Bon ammo. They run everything else just fine, and the same ammo they choke on run in his other guns, just fine.

Anything is possible.

I've been running my handloads in my SIG P220 (its actually a Browning BDA 45) since 1980, and the few times it has malfunctioned were entirely my fault.

I am a bit confused by the way the problem was described, just can't figure out how a bullet could be too wide to fit in the magazine. The case does, right? The bullet can't be wider than the case. Too LONG, I can understand, but not too wide. Can it be explained a different way??
Old October 20, 2017, 08:32 PM   #53
Joe_Pike

I think OAL of the cartridge could very well be the problem. At first I described it the projectile itself being too wide but what would probably be more accurate is that it is probably just a bullet profile that just doesn't work well with these magazines and that coupled with the OAL causes problems. Someone said that the magazine are a little different than they used to be, so, maybe that has something to do with it.
Old October 23, 2017, 10:10 AM   #54
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
A friend of mine has had three different Walthers (all 9mm) choke on Cor-Bon ammo. They run everything else just fine, and the same ammo they choke on run in his other guns, just fine.

Anything is possible.

I've been running my handloads in my SIG P220 (its actually a Browning BDA 45) since 1980, and the few times it has malfunctioned were entirely my fault.

I am a bit confused by the way the problem was described, just can't figure out how a bullet could be too wide to fit in the magazine. The case does, right? The bullet can't be wider than the case. Too LONG, I can understand, but not too wide. Can it be explained a different way??
I guess that Corbon doesn't work in all handguns. Maybe it is the shorter OAL?
Old October 23, 2017, 02:35 PM   #55
Longhorn1986

I finally shot a P220 yesterday. Few disclaimers: It was a range rental and in .45acp whereas I'm considering a 10mm and no one around rents one in 10. My impression of the pistol is that it's decent, but I shot my personal 3" 1911 much better. Admittedly, I am much more familiar with the 1911, but the P220 left me feeling "meh". I was leaning towards the P220 before this, but now I'm decidedly leaning towards the 1911. I do realize that 50 rounds is hardly enough to get an accurate feel for a pistol, but nothing jumped out at me to say "this is it!"
Old October 23, 2017, 03:05 PM   #56
Joe_Pike

Quote:
but the P220 left me feeling "meh"
Unfortunately, that's kind of where I'm at. Now, I have a gun I'm stuck with because I'm not willing to take a bath on it.
Old October 23, 2017, 05:21 PM   #57
SA1911

The Sig P220 .45 ACP has to be considered one of the best self-defense handguns available.