The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2017, 04:37 AM   #1
U.S.SFC_RET

Why a pistol for home defense?

I am sure this has been hashed out before and I posted this very subject before. Flame Suit on.

Why would you use a pistol for home defense? I have my own reasons why I will never depend on a pistol.
1. A pistol to defend your person.
2. A shotgun to defend your home.
3. A rifle to defend your property.

When I was deployed in the Army I always felt sorry for those who carried a pistol vs a rifle. I would have felt vulnerable if I carried one then. Even when I shoot in pistol competitions I will never trust a pistol and yes I have won a pistol competition or two.
Pistols are anemic for the most part and if you never had the training are liable to miss, especially if your life depends on it. I keep a Remington 870 Police Magnum for home defense, you cannot beat a shotgun for what it can do.
I conducted a simple experiment over ten years ago. I filled up a sand bag to about 1/2 to 3/4 full and hung it on a wire and shot 7 rounds of 45 ACP into it. The sand bag might of rocked back an inch. 3 of the 7 rounds remained in the sand bag and 4 went through. So why would you trust your life to a pistol?
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old September 30, 2017, 05:34 AM   #2
krimmie

Because when I leave the house, I want all firearms, except for the one I carry, to be locked up in case of a break in while I'm not at home. I'm not disciplined enough to lock the shotgun/rifle in the safe "every time" I leave, and my handgun goes with me everywhere.
Old September 30, 2017, 06:08 AM   #3
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Why would you use a pistol for home defense? I have my own reasons why I will never depend on a pistol.
1. A pistol to defend your person.
2. A shotgun to defend your home.
3. A rifle to defend your property.
A long arm may well be more effective than a handgun for defense. The issue is whether the defender can access it instantly from wherever he or she may happen to be \in the event of a sudden violent and forcible entry.

The idea of using deadly force to defend "property" is not a good one. It is unlawful in a all states but one, and is generally not a sound strategy in th one that does allow it under very limited circumstances.

Quote:
Pistols are anemic for the most part and if you never had the training are liable to miss, especially if your life depends on it.
The shotgun is not superior from that standpoint at household distances.

Quote:
I conducted a simple experiment over ten years ago. I filled up a sand bag to about 1/2 to 3/4 full and hung it on a wire and shot 7 rounds of 45 ACP into it. The sand bag might of rocked back an inch. 3 of the 7 rounds remained in the sand bag and 4 went through. So why would you trust your life to a pistol?
The results of that "simple experinent" tell us very little that is useful.
Old September 30, 2017, 06:53 AM   #4
lamarw

Different situation warrant different measures. I prefer and do have a shotgun for my primary home defense. I also have pistols and or revolvers located in different parts of my home for quick access. I also have three large dogs that sound very vicious and alert us to any and all visitors.

My situation is I am in a rural area without nearby full time residents. The homes are separated by significant distance with woods as a buffer. It is a large home. There are no children living in my home. There are two out building on my property. There is 7,000 acres of forest on one side of my property and 40,000 acres of lake on the other side.

Access to my property is either by a rural road or by boat. We have a small County Sheriff Office having to cover over 600 miles. In case of an emergency, their arrival time is dependent upon how close the nearest patrol car might be to our vicinity.

Snakes are our most common treat.

One size does not fit all.
Old September 30, 2017, 07:32 AM   #5
Kvon2

I think it's a convenience factor for me in two ways.

1. Like someone mentioned above I'm not disciplined enough to lock my shotgun or rifle away each morning and take it out each night. It's a lot easier to have the pistol safe in my room.

2. My next option would be a shotgun but I don't have much ability to train with one. My range has one bench dedicated to shotgun patterning and the board sits at 40 yards. Any indoor ranges near here will only let you use slugs. Sure I could probably train effectively at the 40 yard board but it gets kind of boring.

In my opinion the two factors that make the best home defense weapon are what you feel the most comfortable using and what you have the most interest in training with. For a lot of people it's a handgun.
Old September 30, 2017, 07:35 AM   #6
9x19

Simply because somebody on the internet listed their reasons why a pistol was best.
Old September 30, 2017, 08:14 AM   #7
turtlehead

Because it's faster to deploy. Smaller and more maneuverable. I can use it with one hand. It has a laser on it so I don't even have to line up the sights. Mag change is fast. And if those first 31 rounds of rapid fire shock and awe don't get their attention, I can pick up the AR.
Old September 30, 2017, 08:30 AM   #8
adamBomb

Different strokes for different folks. Most likely any gun will work for home defense and a good security system, dogs, motion lights, etc will probably scare off a would be bad guy before you have a chance to use it.

Having said that a handgun is going to be the best all around option for most people. Its small, its reliable, it can be concealed in cases where you are answering the door, it can have a 15+ capacity, etc. I am not really sure what the disadvantage is compared to the other guns in a home situation. Sure a shotgun spreads but that spread goes through walls and capacity is usually lower. Rifles are great but again just aren't as small. For inside the home I really just think the pistol is best...unless your house is like 10k feet then maybe that distance would justify a rifle. But again, any gun is going to work just fine as long as you practice with it.
Old September 30, 2017, 08:33 AM   #9
JMag1

The pistol is handy/small enough to grab before reaching my shotgun...or black rifle. How's that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old September 30, 2017, 08:35 AM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

The FedEx guy always gets nervous when I answer the door with my shotgun.
Old September 30, 2017, 08:57 AM   #11
ritepath

Now I must ask why trust a silly gun when it doesn't have night vision, keen hearing, 42 teeth and protective instincts built in, like our 96# German Shepherd.

I do keep a Shotgun beside the bed, but it's mostly for bears on the back porch.

I also keep an AR, but it is set up with a night vision scope for coyotes out back.

I feel 100% comfortable with my CZ p-01 it's 19+1 rounds and a rail mounted light source as my primary HD pistol.

My only problem with the dog is once it gets dark he doesn't let anyone visit. Once we bring him inside for the night he doesn't allow people to enter after lights out. My 13 son made the mistake of trying to come in at 2am, from spending the night without getting the dogs attention first several weeks ago. Good news is he was able to get back out the door quick.
Old September 30, 2017, 09:17 AM   #12
K_Mac

I have quick access to both shotgun and a rifle, but I will almost always have a handgun on me. When in bed it is on the night stand within easy reach. Home defense includes defense while on my property, in the garage, mowing grass, playing with the grandkids walking my dog, etc. Carrying a shotgun or rifle while doing these things isn't possible. Maneuvering around inside my house is more easily done (for me) with a handgun.

One of the biggest reasons though is I am much better trained and skilled to use a handgun in a defensive situation. I practice regularly to maintain and improve my skills with a handgun because I carry one daily. Rifles and shotguns get exercised once or twice a year.

If it comes down to an armed standoff I'll likely have a long gun in my hands, but you can bet I'll have a handgun on me.
Old September 30, 2017, 09:49 AM   #13
arquebus357

I don't like the idea of searching the house with a long gun. It's hanging out there waiting for someone to grab it.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:18 AM   #14
SGW Gunsmith

A .40 caliber hole in wallboard is much easier to patch than an 8-inch diameter blast through, from #4 buckshot.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:24 AM   #15
lamarw

A .40 caliber hole in wallboard is much easier to patch than an 8-inch blast through, from #4 buckshot.

Same is true of the hole in a big burly home invader.______
Old September 30, 2017, 10:26 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Why would you use a pistol for home defense?
Because a cop is too heavy to carry around??

Somone (Cooper, I think, but can no longer remember with certainty) once said,

The purpose of a defensive handgun is to be constantly available to be used against sudden unexpected attack.

There are two important points here.
#1 Constantly available means worn, or within easy reach.
#2 sudden unexpected attack.
If you are expecting attack, you use a rifle.

If you are going out looking for trouble, you use a rifle, with all the buddies you can get using their rifles, and having automatic weapons, artillery, and air strikes for fire support.

Quote:
And if those first 31 rounds of rapid fire shock and awe don't get their attention, I can pick up the AR.
This actually kind of scares me...unless it is meant tongue in cheek. The idea of dumping 30+ rounds "rapid fire shock and awe" can also be described as 30+ rounds "spray and pray", and it is a VERY, VERY poor idea. While there are a few points of congruence, self defense IS NOT INFANTRY COMBAT.

Unless you live miles from anyone, dumping a bunch of rounds (especially 30+ ) could put you in the same kind of position as the guy who just got 8 years for manslaughter, because one of the rounds he fired at the guy who stole his jeep hit a neighbor's house, and killed a sleeping grandmother!

EVERY round you fire is going to land, somewhere, and YOU ARE LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE for where each one goes, and what each bullet does when it gets there.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:27 AM   #17
TunnelRat

Handguns are significantly less powerful, you're right. For me it's a function of the fact that my house is very tight for maneuvering. I did get tax stamps back recently on a SBS and SBR but I can still collapse a pistol closer to my body. Kind of like the handheld versus weapon mounted light argument I like to remind folks that it doesn't have to be one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; September 30, 2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:40 AM   #18
FAS1

Handgun is easier to securely store and have quick access to when sleeping. My rifle and shotgun are located in an area where my wife would retreat to and hunker down while calling 911. I will join her there if needed.

Also, if you need to round up kids a free hand could be a benefit of using a handgun.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:56 AM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
The FedEx guy always gets nervous when I answer the door with my shotgun.
Works for VP Biden and wife Dr. Biden!

Anyway, practical issues:

1. You may need to manipulate things like the phone, guide the kids to safety, support the significant other, use a light, etc. Easier with a handgun.

2. I can sit around the house with a handgun on me. I'm not going to sling and carry a long arm when making dinner or vacuuming the rug. Having to run to long arm takes time.

3. The long arm is available if we do have time to hunker down in the 'safe room'.

4. If I have to hold someone at gunpoint - not my suggested strategy - but if - try holding a long arm in such a position for a long period of time.

As far as shotgun vs. Carbine battle of cliches - it's a yawn.

Folks say use your handgun to fight to your rifle. Wait for it. Someone please say that!!

I've heard it from friends. That implies you are unable to hit the target with your handgun and you are running (fat chance for a FOG) while you spray and pray. Also, your opponent can't hit your running body at house room distances.
Old September 30, 2017, 11:20 AM   #20
Targa

Like already mentioned, I don't feel like walking around the house with a shotgun slung on my shoulder. Now if I am woken up in the middle of the night to something in the house, yeh, I am grabbing my shotgun.
Old September 30, 2017, 11:41 AM   #21
kenny53

Anemic handguns have been stopping threats for many many years. Many times with one shot. I have been known to carry my anemic hand guns and feel totally protected.
Old September 30, 2017, 12:52 PM   #22
JC57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman View Post
A long arm may well be more effective than a handgun for defense. The issue is whether the defender can access it instantly from wherever he or she may happen to be \in the event of a sudden violent and forcible entry.

The idea of using deadly force to defend "property" is not a good one. It is unlawful in a all states but one, and is generally not a sound strategy in th one that does allow it under very limited circumstances.

The shotgun is not superior from that standpoint at household distances.

The results of that "simple experinent" tell us very little that is useful.
The boldfaced text above is a key issue.

I actually experienced a "sudden violent and forcible entry" when someone started kicking our kitchen door down about 20-ish years ago. At the time, I happened to be awake and sitting in a chair about 20 feet from the door being kicked down.

My shotgun was in a bedroom closet at the other end of the house. I had to run to that end of the house to get to the shotgun, and then run back. By the time I got back, the door had given way.

At this point I didn't know if there was now someone in the house, because I was not able to see the door while I was running to get the shotgun. This was about 1:00 AM in a very obviously occupied home with lights on and 2 cars in the carport. Generally burglars looking for property don't break into occupied houses, so I was rightfully very fearful of our safety.

As luck would have it, it actually WAS a property crime - a smash-and-grab purse snatch of my wife's purse that had been sitting on the kitchen table, and the burglar had grabbed it and ran to his waiting getaway car and sped off.

But if it had been something else, I would would have been in a race with a bad guy behind me to get to that shotgun.

I still have that shotgun in the same closet, but ever since then, I have made sure that I will never have to take more than a few steps to be armed. It is much easier to wear a handgun on you, or have it stored nearby, than it is to carry a shotgun around.
Old September 30, 2017, 02:33 PM   #23
SIGSHR

I wonder if we haven't gone overboard on this "stopping power" fixation. If a particular caliber neutralizes the threat, it's good. As noted, anemic handguns have-and continue to stop threats, even in this drug using time.
For me-handgun, usually a revolver. A .357, 4 or 6 " barrel. Apartment dweller, perhaps 12 feet max.
Old September 30, 2017, 04:02 PM   #24
Pond, James Pond

All of the above and the fact that a revolver is very, very pleasant to look at.
Old September 30, 2017, 04:11 PM   #25
jmr40

Inside a home a weapon that can be used with one hand is a huge advantage. You need the other hand for other things. A handgun can be unseen, yet readily accessible. Not so much for long guns. My AR is close by but would require a few seconds more to get in my hands. A handgun is almost always within reach inside my home.

Shotguns are highly over rated, especially at closer ranges where the shot pattern has not had time to get bigger than 2-3". Might as well use a rifle with 1/6th the recoil and 6X more ammo available and every bit as effective.

Quote:
. I filled up a sand bag to about 1/2 to 3/4 full and hung it on a wire and shot 7 rounds of 45 ACP into it. The sand bag might of rocked back an inch. 3 of the 7 rounds remained in the sand bag and 4 went through. So why would you trust your life to a pistol?
When your home is invaded by sand bags this might be relevant. Any of the common handgun rounds loaded with the best available ammo will stop a human threat 85-95% of the time with a good hit. Long guns will provide more accuracy for longer ranges encountered outside the home. But offer only slightly better odds of stopping a threat.

The downsides such as having an intruder being able to grab a long gun away from you simply don't outweigh the advantages.

Winston Churchill