The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 16, 2013, 05:35 PM   #1
glassguy

Solvent trap oil filter adapter

EBay has these solvent trap oil filter adapters listed. They are threaded to fit the muzzle of either an ar15 or ak47. This allows you to fasten an oil filter to be used a suppressor. Are these legal? Safe to use? Do they work? Presumably you would fire the first round through the end of the oil filter.
Old September 16, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They are an extremely grey area in the law.

Unless you pay the tax stamp and the device is registered as a silencer, it would absolutely never be legal to use it as a silencer under any circumstances.

Owning the device and having an oil filter even in the proximity is dangerously close to being in "constructive possession" of an unregistered silencer. Having the device installed on your gun with an oil filter screwed on and having a hole in the end of the oil filter puts you absolutely positively in possession of an illegal silencer.

Frankly, I think the company makes them with the absolute intention of calling it *wink, wink* a "solvent trap" all the while knowing full well that most buyers will use it as an unregistered silencer. So long as no one actually says that's what they're doing *wink, wink*, they can claim ignorance.

It's silly. There's absolutely no reason to spend the money on an automotive oil filter for use as a "solvent trap", say nothing of the $75 device to attach the unnecessary "solvent trap" to your firearm.

I wouldn't consider owning one under any circumstances.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; September 17, 2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammar
Old September 16, 2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

We've covered this before. This thread is good reading on the subject.

That said, Brian's correct. These aren't illegal on the face. However, when one attaches the oil filter and uses it to suppress the report, he is manufacturing an NFA item. It doesn't matter whether or not we agree; it's the law.

The people selling these cannot be ignorant as to how they'll be used, nor can they be unaware of the potential consequences to their customers.

For this to be legal, you'd actually have to serialize and register the oil filter you plan on using. Just that one. When it wears out, you'll have to serialize and register a new one. Racking up the $200 tax that many times outbalances the cost benefit of using cheap media.
Old September 17, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4
glassguy

This weekend is the first I had heard of such a thing. I should have done a search here first before posting my question. It certainly SEEMED to be too easy. Thanks for the input. G
Old September 17, 2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Skans

I had never heard of these things. So, I decided to look them up on Ebay. All I can say is WOW! I can't believe there are so many vendors selling these things. This is destined to be the DIAS of the early '80's. I think I'll just grab some popcorn and see how this story ends - should be interesting.
Old September 17, 2013, 07:33 PM   #6
tgreening

Newbie I may be, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thought rigggght when the whole "solvent trap" explanation was given to me. Those folks are playing with fire. All it would take is for an ATF agent to develop an "interest" in that item and I can guarantee it would all be down hill from there.
Old September 17, 2013, 07:57 PM   #7
jake99

If you have a non-removable gas tube, like the Ultimak, they make cleaning it easier and much less messy.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Solvent trap oil filter adapter

So does this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147...ing-patch-trap

For $10

Or this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457...polymer-orange

For $11.99

Or this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/974...p-plastic-blue

For $14

Yeah... Spending $75 on one that just happens to also be designed and marketed as a silencer makes PERFECT sense.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:37 PM   #9
spacecoast

In their defense, the manufacturers of these devices, at least the most popular ones (others may have sprung up recently), do explain the NFA requirements for using them as a suppressor and have a process for shipping the device back to them for a legal refresh of the filter when it wears out. I wouldn't think that takes very long for a filter trying to suppress 7.62x39. They probably last quite a while for .22LR.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 17, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old September 17, 2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassguy
I should have done a search here first before posting my question. It certainly SEEMED to be too easy.
Maybe so. But it's not like you're asking a .45ACP vs. 9mm debate here. Topics such as yours is warranted to bring up again, IMO.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 18, 2013, 05:50 AM   #11
jake99

The oil filter can sit right on the floor, it can take the weight of the AK. If you have a gas tube that doesn't come off, it's an advantage.
Old September 18, 2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Skans

I was looking for videos to hear how effective the oil can suppressor is. Seems to work good with .22LR. I couldn't find anything in 9mm or .45. I did see someone shooting a lower-power rifle cartridge (7.62x25) - it didn't suppress that very well. So, I'm kind of skeptical as to whether it would work well on 9mm or .45.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Topher127

I've seen hickok45 do a video about this type of device shooting a 22, IIRC.
Old September 18, 2013, 11:29 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The oil filter can sit right on the floor, it can take the weight of the AK. If you have a gas tube that doesn't come off, it's an advantage.
1. I can't tell if you're playing devils advocate or if you really believe that there's no cheaper way to get the same effect and that it's necessary to spend $75 to keep from making a mess.

2. Have you ever heard of "constructive possession" and have you considered how that concept would apply to having such a device along with a firearm to which it can be attached?
Old September 19, 2013, 12:46 AM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Have you ever heard of "constructive possession" and have you considered how that concept would apply to having such a device along with a firearm to which it can be attached?
That's what worries me. Maybe I've got some gun parts in the garage, and maybe a couple of oil filters. That coincidence is innocuous enough.

Add in an adapter that's specifically made to adapt one of those oil cans to one of those guns, and we're in different territory.
Old September 19, 2013, 07:40 AM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Beyond designed to adapt an oil filter to a gun, as if that weren't enough, also actively marketed as a silencer.

I'd bet $10 to a donut that the majority of purchasers are using these things as illegal silencers. (Before one of those purchasers gets all up in arms that I'm accusing them individually and specifically, if you're offended I'm not talking about you. You're in the other group.)

I simply can not conceive of spending $75 for a "solvent trap " when there are so many other suitable and far less expensive options available. It's not as if they're $5 or $10 cheaper either, we're talking $50-$65 cheaper, besides the fact that the vast majority of gun owners don't use a "solvent trap" at all.
Old September 19, 2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Skans

Quote:
.... besides the fact that the vast majority of gun owners don't use a "solvent trap" at all.
I've been cleaning my guns for over 25 years, and this thread is the first I've heard about a "solvent trap".
Old September 19, 2013, 09:07 AM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I simply can not conceive of spending $75 for a "solvent trap " when there are so many other suitable and far less expensive options available.
<drags his rocking chair loudly across the porch> In my day, rubber bands and a Ziploc bag were good enough for the purpose.
Old September 19, 2013, 10:07 AM   #19
spacecoast

I love wiping up the splatter after I clean, it makes my desk smell like Hoppes.
Old September 19, 2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
In my day, rubber bands and a Ziploc bag were good enough for the purpose.
I guess I pretty much stayed cave man on the issue. I always put an old rag on the table under the muzzle.
Old September 20, 2013, 06:18 PM   #21
jake99

"I can't tell if you're playing devils advocate or if you really believe that there's no cheaper way to get the same effect and that it's necessary to spend $75 to keep from making a mess."

I'm just saying it works. Plastic bucket does too tho, that's what I usually use.
Old September 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #22
publius

Staff, I would recommend that this thread be closed. It has been clearly explained as to the purpose of this device and I think it makes the forum look bad to the opposition who undoubtedly read the forum.
Old September 21, 2013, 05:43 PM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's going to look just as bad when it's closed, unless it's deleted, and there's no reason to do that. The thing exists and there no sense pretending it doesn't. It's not hurting anything to talk about it, particularly since it's clear that most of us see the problems, don't encourage skirting the law and honestly discuss the issues.
Old August 2, 2014, 12:21 AM   #24
stbrnrd

Asides from the "novelty issue"....

Moderator Edit: As demonstrated in the posts following this one, most of the "information" presented in this post is false. In particular, it is absolutely illegal for a home user to replace the oil filter fitted to these types of silencers. /End Edit

On a serious note (ladies and gents) has anyone taken into account ... That not all "traps" are made equal??? By this i mean that there are design features on the inside of the filters (like metal bracing that is welded in place to route the oil into certain places and to hold the integrity of the walls in place)???? "Baffle-strikes" would be a joke in comparison when hitting these items in the hopes and attempt to get a hole in the middle of the filter so the subsequent ones would follow suit... Heat deformation of the dissimilar metals with inside the can..I can make a list, but I'm not going to. Please take a look at an used filter and ponder for a second what would happen if.... Lol!!!
Now, as far as the issue of the oil filter being the item in question.... I had contacted a BATFE rep at a local gunshow, and it was the most informative piece of information I had received from someone whose functions are to mainly guide and advice people to stay in the "good side of the law" because a visit from them would be costly no matter what.... But the "consumables" of the suppressor (wadding, screens, wipes to name a few ) are not considered part of the silencer since they are manufactured for a completely different purpose they do not fall under the scrutiny of the law (unless in this case, it is attached to an unregistered adapter). The adapter in itself is what would be considered a grey area object, since it has a "wink-wink" purpose and also could be used as a silencer part. The form 4 that would be filled out for this item (for it to be legal) and owned, the serial number on the adapter itself is what would be written down, not the filter attached to it because it would be considered a consumable that deteriorates after so many shots (wouldn't want to have a looooong paper trail tied to it every time you sent it back for another filter to be screwed onto it). So take it as you may.

As long as you don't change the shape, length (+\- .25") and the serialized info you are not required to mess with the ATF again for that suppressor.

Btw...there is a patent out for that, y'all should look it up ... Interesting read.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old August 2, 2014, 01:30 AM   #25
Bill DeShivs

And I believe you are completely wrong about the "consumables" part.
Plus, who wants a huge oil filter on the end of your gun. The sights would be unuseable.