The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 25, 2013, 12:02 AM   #1
jgcoastie

Need info on a Model 70...

Alright folks, I've been out of touch lately, but I need to call in a favor.

I'm wanting to make my Dad a nice sling for Christmas, but I don't know what length....

It's for his Winchester Model 70, .30/06. If anyone could measure the distance between sling swivel studs on their long action Model 70, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for the help folks.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 25, 2013, 10:44 AM   #2
PetahW

IIRC, the measurement will come in @ somewhere around 33", but if you make the sling adjustable for length, the distance between the loops won't make much difference - as long as the sling's made with enough length ( I would make the length about 48", +/-, straightened out).

I've made slings both from a cloth camera-strap material/style and ones woven from small ( & long) leather strips, w/o a gun measurement, and they all fit nicely - but they were carrying straps, and not a shooting sling that the shooter uses to steady the rifle for shooting.

Old September 25, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Louca

My Model 70 XTR Sporter 30-06 measures 25 and 7/8 inches from the front strap mount hole to the rear strap mount hole.

Lou
Old September 25, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
jgcoastie

This will be a double-cobra stitch with paracord. And by double, I mean two intertwined cobra stitches side by side, to make it just shy of 2" wide so he can comfortably carry it on his shoulder.

Roughly 26" then, sounds good. Thanks Louca!
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 25, 2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Cowboy_mo

Make it longer!

If you make it just long enough to go between the swivel studs, it won't be long enough to carry over the shoulder.

I would echo Petah's suggestion for about 48".
Old September 26, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Vividia

What a great idea for a gift - I am sure he will love it.

In the FWIW department, the distance center to center on my circa 1950 Model 70 in 30-06 is 27.5"
Old September 27, 2013, 09:16 AM   #7
5thShock

JG, how about a picture and a little how to when you're done?
Old September 30, 2013, 12:18 AM   #8
jgcoastie

Now that I know the distance between the studs, I can play around with a length of string on a stick to figure out the right overall length for the sling.

I'll definitely post some pics when I'm done.
Old October 1, 2013, 12:26 AM   #9
nitroholmes

jgcoastie, I'm actually making myself a paracord sling for my model 70. From what I've seen of the cobra weave, I do not believe it is a quick deploy weave. If you are making this with the idea that the cord could be used in an emergency, consider a quick deploy weave (30 seconds vs. many minutes to pick apart a cobra). There is a guy on YouTube that has a video showing what he calls a blaze bar. It can be modified to allow more width. The only down side is that it requires special sling swivels. Since mine won't be adjustable, I'm planning to make it around 30 to 32 inches, but I need to mock it up to be sure.