The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 15, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
breakingcontact

What's some good/cheap ammo for the AR15?

I've never messed with steel cased stuff and don't know where to begin.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Metal god

Steel is fine . you should not have a problem shooting the ammo . There is some talk out there that cus steel case ammo does not seal the chamber as well as brass .You can get some blow back in to the chamber of carbon and case finishes . This can build up in your chamber and cause extraction issues . This seems to be more relevant with semi auto's then bolts cus they tend to get hotter do to the higher rate of fire .It also seems to be more of an issue if you switch quickly from steel to brass . Make sure you clean your chamber really well after shooting

BTW I would buy any ammo you see that's in your price range . The panic buying has already started . Next week when the senate takes to the floor talking about gun control . 223 and 5.56 ammo is going to dry up amung other things . There is no dought in my mind there is new gun control on the horizon . I just hope there are some grandfathering included .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:16 PM   #3
breakingcontact

Found some Federal XM193 at Academy. $400 for 1000 rounds. Seems pretty high but its there and in stock which is getting rare. S420 for 1000 rounds of the M855 (or is it M885). The green tip stuff.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
taylorce1

$400 for 1K rounds is pretty common these days, for cheap non-steel cased ammunition. Have you thought about reloading? You can get set up and reload for far cheaper in the long run. You can load FMJ ammunition for as low as $170 per 1K rounds.

You can get a Lee Turret Press Kit and .223 Dies from Graf & Sons for less than $250 delivered. Powder Valley will have all your brass and bullet needs as well as powders and primers. However unless you are going to buy in serious bulk quantities powder and primers are best purchased locally to save Hazmat fees.

Just google reloading calculators and start plugging cost of components into it. You'll see how cheaply you can manufacture your own ammunition. If you aren't going to shoot that 1K up very fast then maybe reloading isn't for you. However if you shoot your AR like my Wife, 1K rounds might last three range sessions. If you want to shoot more rounds for your money reloading is the best option available.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:05 PM   #5
breakingcontact

I'm just not set up for reloading. Appreciate the enthusiasm of those who reload though. What I need is a friend/neighbor who reloads.
Old December 17, 2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Stealth01

Quote:
What's some good/cheap ammo
... Now that's an oxymoron! Watch Cheaper Than Dirt for bulk sales...
Old December 17, 2012, 01:44 PM   #7
taylorce1

Quote:
I'm just not set up for reloading. Appreciate the enthusiasm of those who reload though. What I need is a friend/neighbor who reloads.
I don't/won't reload for people. I'm not going to spend my time feeding someone else's shooting habit. I'll let them borrow my equipment after I teach them to use it, until the get there own or go back to buying factory ammunition.

Right now I don't own a progressive press, so to load up 1K of .223 takes an average of 20 hours on a single stage press about 10 hours on the Lee turret press. You would have to pay me at lest $400 per 1k rounds to do this. However, since I don't have a manufacturing license to charge for this service would be illegal.

I just figure my time is worth $10-15 an hour when I sit at the bench by the money I save. Buddies and neighbors usually want it for free. That's why I still have buddies and good neighbors because I offer up my equipment and a little time to mentor but politely say no when they ask me to do it for them.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:28 PM   #8
breakingcontact

That sounds perfectly kind and generous.