The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 22, 2012, 07:36 PM   #26
MTT TL

Quote:
I absolute believe this to be true. The facade of being 'safe' (and being able to make your world safe via legislation) was destroyed for a lot of folk on 9/11. Unlike local crime, the terrorist threat could not be addressed by the usual social engineering platitudes and remedies. I know of many folk that suddenly came to grok things in ways that they had never done before.
If that were true than why does NYC now have the most oppressive gun laws in the country?
Old June 22, 2012, 08:49 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Tom, just for the record, the reason that Y2K was a non-event was that there was all the IT staff plus consulting companies across the country working very had to make it a non-event.
I remember vividly. I happened to remember enough COBOL to do quite well for myself

Now, as to the actual "awakening" we've seen, I think it would be disingenuous to attribute it to any one source. It's also easy to look at history selectively. The AWB was not the only reason for the change in ranks in Congress in 1994. Nor was 9/11 a sudden watershed of sympathy and understanding for the 2nd Amendment.

Many of these events are significant mileposts, but I submit that our current situation is a culmination of a number of factors.