The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Krieger9

Examining Brass

How much time do you spend examining your brass per case and in your opinion, how relatively fast do you think you are at it?

I think I go pretty slow at about 5 seconds per. It is the most annoying and unproductive stage of reloading and I'm including trimming.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Foxbat

Depends on what you do. For benchresting this is part of process.

For a pistol shooter it is a total waste of time, I never do it. Dump several hundred cases in the tumbler, then dump them in the case feeder. I don't specifically look for them, but sometimes you notice on in the pile. I doubt I see one defective case in 1,000. Usually it gets spotted during bullet installation.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:35 AM   #3
champ198

On my handguns i just look at them some...dont get the microscope out but jsut look them over to make sure there isnt no splits or anything....rifle is a little diffrent...i look them over pretty good....lots more pressure there
Old October 29, 2009, 08:38 AM   #4
margiesex

I agree...sort of....

Certainly, if you're into punching one hole at 100+ yards - each and every case I go over thoroughly - both before I tumble and after, not to mention when I hand prime.

Hangun? Well, I've learned to look more closely as the years go by. I'm a guy who uses a progressive press pretty much as single stage.

That said, I decap and resize (all my handgun calibers are carbide dies) - and expand and THEN I tumble. That gives me look one - where you can pick out steel cases, find bulges and cracks.

Then, I hand prime each case. That gives me look two where I can find distorted primer pockets, out of size primer holes, and even crimping. Not to mention the Fed NT cases and Win. NT cases that require not only a crimp in some cases, but even can require a different size primer (usually a small pistol instead of large pistol in .45 ACP). Plus any cracks, etc. I may have missed before.

After I seat the bullets, I pack them in boxes, so what's that - look 4?

It only takes me a little time, and I have yet to not get a compliment on my loaded rounds from people at the range, and those who shoot them all testify to their consistency and accuracy, so it's worth it to me.

Oh, and I bought a set of plastic sorting pans from Midway that I just dump in raw cases and the size I'm looking for stay in the pan, the others fall through - that helps with all those range pick ups.

God bless - enjoy the hobby!

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both and soon!
Old October 29, 2009, 01:36 PM   #5
bcl32

I run my pistol through the tumbler and check them as I look for stuck media, second I hand prime them while watching tv and check again. Then run them through my Piggy Back. Rifle is the same except the get the Rock Chucker after 3-5 fireings I run them through the length gauge.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:26 PM   #6
chris in va

I just started reloading and as such am pretty stringent about inspecting my 9mm brass.

Good thing too.

The first 1000 I inspected had 3 split cases, two Berdan primered, 20 380ACP's, 10 9mm Mak and one with a crack that I just didn't feel right about.

Every step of reloading I give another look at the case...sizing, belling, charging etc.

This is range scrounge though.
Old October 30, 2009, 06:14 AM   #7
TheNatureBoy

I inspect cases throughout the reloading process for split neck, dents, crushed shoulders, scratches, or anything else that renders the case unsafe to use. I recently purchased two bags of 7mm rem mag cases from Midway and in the first bag I found two cases with split necks.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:42 PM   #8
PCJim

Pistol gets a cursury inspection just after tumbling. I am not shooting high pressure pistol rounds.

All my rifle cases get inspected more closely after tumbling, mainly because there is much more pressure involved. 223 gets a good once-over under bright light when laid out on the lube tray; 243 gets individual attention.