The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Prof

S&W 686 Question

I recently shot my 686 and, after cleaning it, reassembled the cylinder/crane. Oddly, I couldn't get the cylinder to fit back into the frame. After fiddling with it for awhile, it did go back in. However, now, even though the cylinder will rotate when I dry fire the revolver, it is difficult to open/close the cylinder. The back for the ejection rod seems to be scoring the frame by the firing pin. Is this common? I don't think I did anything to damage the revolver when firing it (factory ammo, etc.).
Old July 25, 2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Dave Sample

Your ejector is coming out and needs to be screwed back in. I can't tell you if it is a right hand or left hand thread so be careful. Also make sure you got the right crane screw back in. It is different.
Old July 25, 2005, 09:23 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Remove the cylinder from the gun...

Clamp the ejector rod in a padded vise. Place three spent cartridges into the chamber. Turn the cylinder until it's snug. Be sure that you don't push down on the cylinder when your turning since that'll allow the ejector star to pop up and you don't want to tweak it the ejector star/ejector rod.
Old July 25, 2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Prof

Thank you, both!
Old July 25, 2005, 09:56 PM   #5
gunsmither

686 left hand thread

It should be a left hand thread.
Old July 25, 2005, 11:44 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

screw I bet

I bet you used the wrong screw in the front hole which locks the crane in place. Take all three screws out and make sure you use the shortest screw in the front hole. If you put the longer screw in, this will prevent the crane from lining up correctly.
Old July 26, 2005, 08:29 AM   #7
Prof

cntryboy1289: Actually, I always just take out the center screw to remove the crane/cylinder. I didn't know that I was supposed to take them all out. I did try tightening the ejector rod but it was tight and wouldn't turn in either direction.
Old July 26, 2005, 09:44 AM   #8
JoeHatley

Try backing the yoke screw off about 1/8th turn.

Joe
Old July 26, 2005, 11:11 AM   #9
cntryboy1289

it's the front screw

If you only remove the middle screw, this is why it was hard to get the crane back in. You need to remove the yolk screw which is the front screw. Remove the yolk screw and the slide the crane back in and then tighten it just enough to secure the crane so it won't back out. I would double check all three screws just to make sure you have the screws in the right order. The two long screws go in the rear and middle hole in the frame nd the short screw goes in the front. This front screw should never be overtightened and has a specific spot on the crane where the screw should be tightened against. Chances are the crane isn't all the way in and this is why it scored the frame when you closed it because it is misaligned and not entering the slot correctly.