The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 12, 2000, 05:48 PM   #1
BUCKSHOT

I just picked up a Mossberg M9200A1 Jungle Gun, but I have yet to fire it. Does anyone have any feedback on their experiences with it?
Old February 12, 2000, 05:58 PM   #2
ddt4free

No, But Man it sure sounds scary! What is it? Peace-
Old February 12, 2000, 06:13 PM   #3
DesertRat

ddt4free,

The "Gungle Gun" is this really nasty 12 Guage shotgun made by Mossberg. It is all black with synthetic stocks, black parkerized finish and it has been known to prowl in the darkness of the worlds Gungles looking for its next meal.

There have been stories of the amazing stealth, cunning and ferocity of this beast. Many of these stories center around Gungle Guns which have been found with a large "bulge" their barrels which upon cutting open the barrel was found to be a small adult or worse yet a child!!! :*

So beware when visiting the Gungles of the world. You never know when this deadly killer may strike. BOOO!

Buckshot,

Seriously though, I was on the verge of buying one of these until I heard continual stories of unrealiability of this SG. I'm still undecided. Keep me posted on your experiences.

DR

Old February 12, 2000, 10:38 PM   #4
VictorLouis

I posted on this a month ago, w/no response from an OWNER. How much did you pay, if I may ask? I will be eager to hear your range results.
My dealer has a part-time salesman that teaches a defensive SG course. He says he has had over 2K rounds through one w/o a hitch. His beef w/it is that he can't seem to find a reliable mag extention for it. He says the ones built for the "sporting" edition of the 9200 don't seem to work. Also, no factory GR sight option as of yet, and no sidesaddle. Personally, neither of those bother me. Mr. Vang stocks them (on his website), and their reponse to me was that it was an excellent gun.
Old February 12, 2000, 11:01 PM   #5
BUCKSHOT

I paid approximately $500, which is about 20% off the MSRP. I have heard a great deal of good things about it, and I look forward to giving it a workout when time allows. I just sent an e-mail inquiry to Mossberg regarding the future availability of a factory mag extension.
Old February 14, 2000, 09:00 PM   #6
sarge

Let me know of your success with the Jungle Gun. I wanted to buy one, but my local gunsmith talked me out of it. He said that it had a lot of problems with reliablity.

sarge

Old February 14, 2000, 11:08 PM   #7
Josh D

Is the jungle gun the 5 shot semi auto 12ga with the 18in barrel? I'm sorry, but I fail to see what is so new about it.

If you want a "jungle gun", get a Remington Model 11 for $250, cut the barrel down to 18", put synthetic stocks on it, and parkerize or teflon coat it, and there is your "jungle gun" that I guarantee will last longer and be more reliable than a Mossberg. If the bolt rusts shut, kick it open and keep going. Model 11's are ROBUST!

If I have totally missed the picture, please let me know.

------------------
Don't turn around, uh oh oh, der kommisar is in town, uh oh oh!
Old February 15, 2000, 12:55 PM   #8
John Overbey

Don't get me wrong, I love all four of my Mossbergs, but for a semi-auto, it's gotta be a Benelli M1S90. When I was looking to buy mine, I considered the "Jungle Gun", especially since I've had such great luck with the 500, 590, and 835 Mossy pump guns. Talking to a couple guys who had tried them, and reading what I could find on various forums, I decided the "M1-Superduper-90" was the only way to go.

As you're "getting to know" your new mossy, let us know how it goes. Maybe they've improved them and/or addressed the reliabilty issues, or maybe the early batches just weren't as good. I hope that's the case and yours proves to provide the same level of performance I've grown to expect from Mossberg. Either way, keep us informed. Good luck.
-John
Old February 15, 2000, 01:28 PM   #9
Shin-Tao

What's a Gungle?
Old February 16, 2000, 03:12 PM   #10
BUCKSHOT

The only thing new about this design is that I didn't have one yet! I seem to be on duty constantly, so it is difficult for me to get "personal" range time. Perhaps I could offer to "test" this item for my Chief. Our present shotguns are getting a little old and beaten. As a collector, I just love new toys that go bang. The best part of the deal is that this was a Valentine's Day gift from my wife. Back off, she's mine!