The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 12, 2000, 04:47 PM   #1
Jason Demond

I read your post it the general and agree.

But would it be possible to have a forum where one could talk about anything.

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------ http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/G...Gunrights.html
Old September 12, 2000, 04:54 PM   #2
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

The Staff has discussed that in the past but apparently there are problems of bandwidth and some techy things I never DID understand!

We will be discussing this again with Rich in the near future. He understands the situation just a "touch" better than I do.

Thanks for your support.
Old September 12, 2000, 05:11 PM   #3
Jason Demond

Thanks for the fast reply!

It would be nice sometime in the future when we could afford the extra bandwidth, until then I will abide by the rules as I have often tried.
Old September 12, 2000, 05:35 PM   #4
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Thanks, Kimber Man. Appreciate the support.
Old September 12, 2000, 05:47 PM   #5
Hal

Dennis,
Well, it isn't an old cowboy song, it's an old saying. "Too much of a good thing."
It seems as though TFl has become too much of a good thing. I find the format of open discussion on a broad range of subjects to be less stuffed shirt than a narrow focus. When I joined TFL back in the beginning, the format was pretty rigid. In fact, posts were so scarce and threads were so sparse, prizes were given to the poster that generated the most traffic! The rigid format opened up, via a request from Rich, if I recall correctly, and the immediate tone of the forum became more relaxed. Sad to say, those times are gone. None of us really appreciate the traffic load, nor do we foot the bill for TFL. Rich has been emphatic that will never be the case. I agree with you on this, and I admit my own involvement is OT discussions. However, there is a higher priority than having a good time. I agree, it is our part to do as far as maintaining those involved in RKBA. Even 1 is a loss we can't stand. Peace to you sir, and luck with making this work. I'll try to do my part also.

Rich
AKA RAE
Old September 12, 2000, 06:14 PM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Wow - that WAS LONG AGO! And I belive the membership was like... 1500?

We have come a LONG WAY since then... transfering 10 times the amount of data daily.
Old September 12, 2000, 06:53 PM   #7
FUD

I feel that I am more guilty than most in taking TFL off on tangents. While I always tried to keep the topics gun (or gun rights) related and I honestly felt that I was bringing much value to TFL by sharing my everyday adventures so that others would have something to think about should they encounter a similar situation and those with experience in that area could offer their words of wisdom for all to learn from, the positive feedback that I frequently received (some, even from the staff), encouraged me to stretch these stories further & further (ghosts stories, electrical fan problems, etc.) to the point where some of them had nothing to do with firearms or gun rights -- instead, some posts read like a daily journal of my life.

While I have enjoyed sharing these events with other members (and I trust that other members enjoyed seeing bits & pieces of my life), if is have taken TFL in areas where it should not have gone, I apologize. In the future, I will honor the wishes of our generous hosts and try to limit my posts to items related to either firearms and/or firearm rights.

Although, to be perfectly honest with you, I will miss the older, more loose format which allowed many friendships to form. Regards, FUD.
Old September 12, 2000, 07:06 PM   #8
HankL

Kodiac, That really was a long time ago in the computer world. I think when I came on board in March of 99 there were less than 1000 of us here. 650 or 850 sticks in my mind. It was sort of like a small college campus where you at least could put a first name with a face type situation.
Love your pro Second Amendment Web Site BTW
Now, in what is really a short period of time, we have thousands of diverse folk getting along fairly well. You guys amaze me!
Thank's for what you all do!!!
Hank
Old September 13, 2000, 06:10 AM   #9
Hal

George,
Since you asked. As near as I can figure, by piecing together participants in the discussions, the membership at that time was in the high 30's. I come up with 37 or 38.
Remember, this was b4 there was a general forum here.
BTW, how's that AFCK holding up?
Old September 13, 2000, 11:30 AM   #10
Gunslinger

Ah...memory lane.
I came here back on January 5th of 1999...some three months after the inseption of TFL in October of '98. At the time there a little less than 300 members. I still remember that there were only a few that made alot of contributions. Even then I was impressed with the wealth of knowledge available here. Some of those original members seldom post now days, sadly, some we have not "seen" in a while. But the base of knowledge continues to grow.
It is, without question, the premier Internet firearms discussion forum.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old September 13, 2000, 12:01 PM   #11
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The AFCK I got by hook and crook?
It rests in a place of honor today... cliped to my Haggar slacks.
I use it 2 days a week... when it takes a back seat - its to a Mini AFCK.

Yeah - I remember when there was no General... Those were the good old days!