The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 19, 2018, 10:50 AM   #1
PlatinumCore16

H&R Barrel Swaps

I know I've seen it here before, I just can't seem to get the search function to find what I'm looking for. My LGS has an H&R with the .223 varmint barrel for well under $200. No other barrels. I remember reading that extra barrels are not plug n play, but is there someone/somewhere that will do said fitting if I were to get some other calibers down the road? Obviously H&R/NEF won't anymore. I'd like to have one with the .223 bull barrel and a .308 as well, with the option for others.

Even worth the time or just go with a T/C and not monkey with the H&R? Only reason to not go with the T/C is $$.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old March 19, 2018, 11:28 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...H&R/NEF won't anymore..." Both being long gone, no. NEF was sold to H&R who were sold to Marlin who were sold to Remington. No mention of anything 'Handi-rifle' on either of their sites.
Your real issue is finding a barrel though. All of which were factory fitted only. And that program is gone too. No barrels at Gunparts under any of the names.
Thompson Centre is a least still in business.
Old March 19, 2018, 01:01 PM   #3
taylorce1

Go to Graybeard Outdoors, look for the H&R forum and read the FAQ pages. You'll find plenty of barrels for sale from time to time in their H&R classifieds. As mentioned above Remington closed H&R down a few years ago.
Old March 19, 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

taylorce1's suggestion about hitting the GBO forum is excellent advice.
It's the go-to place for H&R barrels and discussion.
Second to that, I believe, would be the H&R section of the Marlin Owners forum.

Additionally, pretty much any competent 'smith can fit an H&R barrel to your frame.
If you read through the GBO stickies and barrel fitting threads, you'll probably feel like you can do the job yourself, even if the most mechanical thing you've ever done was reloading a stapler. It's not a difficult job - especially if some of the redneck methods are used. There are just some important things to pay attention to...
Old March 19, 2018, 03:07 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Find a local Gunsmith having a {legitimate} gunsmith diploma. So to fit what you find ~~ correctly.
Maybe some day Henry will do the same. i.e. Fitting different barrels & calibers to their newly released single shot rifles. (something I'm surely hoping for)
Old March 19, 2018, 10:04 PM   #6
PlatinumCore16

Awesome!! Thank you for the suggestions, I will check out GBO!

Old March 20, 2018, 04:09 PM   #7
TruthTellers

I have an H&R Handi with .308 and spare .223 barrel, got em last year, both with Barska scopes already mounted. I figured given how H&R is no more and their barrels required factory fitting, I'd get it.

I'm not sure though if the .223 barrel was factory fitted or not, I just know it doesn't lock up as tight as the .308 barrel does. There's the possibility that you could buy a barrel and swap it onto a frame it wasn't factory fitted for and shoot it just fine.

Keep an eye on Midland Arms. They're currently selling single shot break action shotguns and will soon be offering rifle barrels that are plug and play like Thompson Center. Various chamberings are being offered, .223 will be one of them. I'm hoping .308 will be in the future.

Last edited by TruthTellers; March 20, 2018 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 20, 2018, 04:34 PM   #8
PlatinumCore16

Good eye, TT. I certainly will. I need to do my research over at GBO, but after I get through that I will either go get that H&R at my LGS, or I will start a small savings for a T/C. The fact that T/C is plug n play with no fitting needed really has me leaning that way. I do like the stock on the ultra though. Nice thick, soft pad too. I just like the look of that wood in a break and I know I will put rounds through it until it gets handed down.
Old March 20, 2018, 05:44 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16 View Post
Good eye, TT. I certainly will. I need to do my research over at GBO, but after I get through that I will either go get that H&R at my LGS, or I will start a small savings for a T/C. The fact that T/C is plug n play with no fitting needed really has me leaning that way. I do like the stock on the ultra though. Nice thick, soft pad too. I just like the look of that wood in a break and I know I will put rounds through it until it gets handed down.
The issue with T/C is the price... their single shot rifles are expensive. The H&R's were popular because they were essentially the budget/value Thompson Center, but once Remington and Freedom Group closed them down years ago, the H&R Handi rifle market spiked in price briefly, then dropped back down to normal when Trump took office.

T/C is great if you want hi performance and ease of barrel changes. The Midland tho... you could register the receiver as an SBR/SBS and you could have a 12 gauge barrel that's 10 inches long for home defense, a spare 26 inch barrel for the field, a 12 inch .22 LR for small game, and a full length .223 for long range.

It's something I'm considering, even though I already have the H&R. The problem with the H&R is it's virtually worthless to SBR and I'm limited to .223 and .308.

The caveat to the Midland tho is that they may never make a .308 barrel, the manufacturer isn't sure if the frame can take that type of pressure and recoil. .22 LR, .357, and .223 it can and those barrels are confirmed for later this year.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:33 PM   #10
PlatinumCore16

That all makes sense. I do like the price of the H&R. As far as SBR goes, I don't have a need or even a want. I will get some reading at GBO and see what I dig up. Just want to be fully prepared and informed before just buying one.