The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 2, 2017, 07:01 PM   #1
Trevormyrtlebeach

H&R Topper 88 Firing Pin Return Problem

Hello,
I've encountered a problem concerning the firing pin on a single shot H&R Topper Model 88 20ga, manufactured in 1979.
My question in short is: Is it bad practice to dry fire these H&R single shot shotguns?

My first indication of a problem was when shooting the gun, the action would not open after firing. Only after a little bit of up and down motion of the gun would the action break open. When dry firing the gun, the firing pin stays protruding out .150" from the breach face and requires me to carefully break the action open enough to gently dislodge the pin.

Upon disassembling the trigger group, I discovered the tip of the firing pin was bent. My suspicion for how the firing pin got bent in the first place is that when dry firing the gun, the firing pin got stuck at it's full travel limit, perhaps because it was dry. Unknowingly, I broke the action open quickly and the protruding firing pin struck the inside of the chamber as the gun opened causing the firing pin to bend.

I was unaware at the time of how far the firing pin actually travels forward without a primer to hit. If I cock the hammer and then ease the hammer all the way forward while pulling the trigger, the firing pin only sticks out about .035". I probably will have to order a new firing pin from Numrich.com as my best pass at straightening the firing pin did little to remedy the binding issue.

If anyone has experience with these firearms and would be willing to share a bit of insight, I would greatly appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firing Pin.jpg (209.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Firing Pin 2-2.jpg (198.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Firing Pin 3-3.jpg (214.9 KB, 110 views)
Old December 2, 2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Mobuck

Some guns were never meant to be "dry fired".
Old December 2, 2017, 08:26 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

The 88 should not be dry-fired without protection; i.e. a snap cap or fired hull.

The pin was likely bent by someone attempting to open or close the action after dry-firing.

I believe that model should have a firing pin spring. Was it in place and intact?
Old December 2, 2017, 08:37 PM   #4
Smoke & Recoil

I sure there should have been a return spring with that firing pin, it would push
the firing pin back up into the frame.
Old December 2, 2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Trevormyrtlebeach

Lesson learned.

Yes, the firing pin did have the spring. With the pin as bent as it was, the spring did not force the pin rearwards.

Now I know.
Old December 2, 2017, 09:10 PM   #6
Smoke & Recoil

You can limit the travel of the firing pin simply by stacking washers under the spring, then STOP dry firing it...lesson learned !
Old December 3, 2017, 12:58 AM   #7
tangolima

Haven't worked on that model of gun. Just looking at the pictures posted, and notice something not quite right. Shouldn't the hammer rebound after striking the firing pin? It is not kosher if it doesn't. It pushes the pin to protrude into the chamber as shown in one of the pictures. That should never happen.

I don't think it is dry firing that causes problem. You may want to take the gun to a smith.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old December 4, 2017, 12:44 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Use a snap cap. It's cheaper than a trip to the gunsmith. That firing pin can be gently tapped back or placed in a vise and tweaked straight. Gentle now.
Old December 5, 2017, 04:20 AM   #9
WarPig1976

If for some reason you can't repair the pin.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=topper&page=2
Old December 5, 2017, 05:27 AM   #10
Old Stony

There should be a rebound on that hammer. With it all the way down, it is keeping pressure on the firing pin...which also seems to protrude more than it actually should.
Old December 5, 2017, 10:37 AM   #11
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
There should be a rebound on that hammer. With it all the way down, it is keeping pressure on the firing pin...which also seems to protrude more than it actually should.
Exactly. That gun has bigger problem than bent firing pin, and can't be fixed by snap cap. It is dangerous without hammer rebound. Hammer and firing pin resting on live primer. Gun may fire when dropped.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk