The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 18, 2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Departed402

9mm guy stumbled into a Glock 23

I got a good deal on a almost-brand-new Glock 23 Gen 4, and I already have a Glock 26, so my IWB holster and other accessories are compatible. I had been considering buying a Glock 17 to be the 26’s big brother, but an acquaintance of mine advertised that he was selling his G23, thus I bought my first .40 S&W. The only problem is I’m a 9mm guy. Don’t get me wrong, I got a good deal and I gladly welcome any gun into my collection. I just have a lot of 9mm Glock magazines and 9mm ammo on hand.

I know there are a lot of Glock 23 fans on this forum, and I’m sure if some of you could only have one Glock it would be a G23. Since I bought it without doing a ton of research there is a fair amount about the Glock 23 model that I just don’t know. I do see a lot of people bragging up how the it can be converted to either .357 SIG or 9mm. So what does it take to convert the G23 to 9mm or .357 SIG?

While I don't plan on doing a .357 SIG conversion, it does seem like it should be simple. Probably just a simple barrel swap, with no need to worry about different extractors, ejectors, springs(?), etc. However, while some lead me to believe the G23 could also be converted to 9mm with only a barrel swap, I am skeptical about the reliability of this. Even Lone Wolf’s website seems to hint around at reliability issues, and they try to sell you on more parts to increase reliability. I’ve seen site administrator, JohnKSa, list off additional parts needed for a more reliable/complete 9mm conversions on similar threads.

So my questions:
What would be the best option to get it shooting 9mm? I would like to avoid aftermarket parts/brands (Lone Wolf) if I could. Would an entire Glock factory G19 Gen 4 upper be the best answer? Would a G19 upper on a G23 frame be as reliable as a true Glock 19? I would like to go that route if possible, having it set up for 9mm with 40 capability being a nice option in the back pocket.
Old July 18, 2014, 06:04 AM   #2
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Departed402
I got a good deal on a almost-brand-new Glock 23 Gen 4, and I already have a Glock 26, so my IWB holster and other accessories are compatible. I had been considering buying a Glock 17 to be the 26’s big brother, but an acquaintance of mine advertised that he was selling his G23, thus I bought my first .40 S&W. The only problem is I’m a 9mm guy. Don’t get me wrong, I got a good deal and I gladly welcome any gun into my collection. I just have a lot of 9mm Glock magazines and 9mm ammo on hand.

I know there are a lot of Glock 23 fans on this forum, and I’m sure if some of you could only have one Glock it would be a G23. Since I bought it without doing a ton of research there is a fair amount about the Glock 23 model that I just don’t know. I do see a lot of people bragging up how the it can be converted to either .357 SIG or 9mm. So what does it take to convert the G23 to 9mm or .357 SIG?

While I don't plan on doing a .357 SIG conversion, it does seem like it should be simple. Probably just a simple barrel swap, with no need to worry about different extractors, ejectors, springs(?), etc. However, while some lead me to believe the G23 could also be converted to 9mm with only a barrel swap, I am skeptical about the reliability of this. Even Lone Wolf’s website seems to hint around at reliability issues, and they try to sell you on more parts to increase reliability. I’ve seen site administrator, JohnKSa, list off additional parts needed for a more reliable/complete 9mm conversions on similar threads.

So my questions:
What would be the best option to get it shooting 9mm? I would like to avoid aftermarket parts/brands (Lone Wolf) if I could. Would an entire Glock factory G19 Gen 4 upper be the best answer? Would a G19 upper on a G23 frame be as reliable as a true Glock 19? I would like to go that route if possible, having it set up for 9mm with 40 capability being a nice option in the back pocket.
First off, I am not a Glock guy, so I may just be a simpleton in this regard. That said, I'm a big fan of not trying to make a gun do something it wasn't made to do. If a gun is chambered in 40 S&W, either shoot 40 from it, or find something else. I know it's probably not the answer you wanna hear, but by modifying this, that, and the other, you will very likely end up investing more into your gun than you will ever get out of it.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old July 18, 2014, 06:21 AM   #3
bull bob

Getting a G19 top end would work, if you change the ejector, ( back and forth every time you chage caliber). That is the benefit of using the aftermarket conversion barrels. They offset the chamber just enough to line up with the original ejector. You also gain the benefit of conventional rifling so no concerns at all about lead bullets.

Either way will work, how much is it worth to you?
Old July 18, 2014, 09:25 AM   #4
sigpro2340

Quote:
Why bother with all of this ?

I have a G19 and many other 9mm pistols in my collection, but I still use my Gen4 23 as it was intended, a great shooting .40 caliber.

And, with the .40, there is really no need for higher cost hollow-point defensive ammo, as it will take care of business as is ..

Old July 18, 2014, 11:42 AM   #5
LockedBreech

I agree with just using it as a .40. The .40 is my favorite caliber and I LOVE the G23 G4, I think it shoots great and it's on my short list to pick up. Just wait 'til you find an awesome deal on a G19 G4 so it has a sibling!
Old July 18, 2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Sharkbite

If you want to shoot 9mm from your G23, all that is needed is a conversion barrel

I have a 40-9 lone wolf barrel in mine. Use 9mm mags and have fun
Old July 18, 2014, 12:29 PM   #7
noonesshowmonkey

I had similar questions a while back:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...56#post5843256

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...13#post5760513

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...73#post5653473
Old July 18, 2014, 10:24 PM   #8
PzGren

I got several G23s that I converted to 9mm and .357 SIG. When you convert it to 9mm a different magazine and extractor, plus plunger is needed for reliability, as far as I remember.

One of the G23s has been fired extensively and runs just as reliable as my G19or G17.

Old July 18, 2014, 10:41 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Would a G19 upper on a G23 frame be as reliable as a true Glock 19?
You'd also need to change to a 9mm ejector to make it into a true G19.
Old July 19, 2014, 12:21 AM   #10
Ruger45LC

It's simple, I've done this with several 23's and a 35.

For 9mm, all you really need is the 9mm conversion barrel. I only used Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrels but they shot great. One time I did buy a Lone Wolf 9mm extractor not because I needed it, but with the .40 extractor it was ejecting brass all over the place. So, not "needed" but not a bad idea to get one.

For 357 Sig, you just need a G32 barrel, that's it. I liked to use G32 mags just because really, but it's not necessary.
Old July 19, 2014, 01:18 AM   #11
Glockstar .40

What ruger said.....
But I myself keep my g23 in its original configuration because I like the .40 round in the Glock 23. Great choice btw.
Old July 19, 2014, 11:49 AM   #12
JN01

Lone Wolf conversion barrel and G19 mags work flawlessly in my G23.
Old July 19, 2014, 12:36 PM   #13
Captains1911

Quote:
And, with the .40, there is really no need for higher cost hollow-point defensive ammo, as it will take care of business as is ..
Ummm...no. There is nothing inherent about the .40S&W cartridge that negates the fact that you should carry quality JHP defensive ammuntion.
Old July 19, 2014, 09:57 PM   #14
aphdmansoc

Conversion, for what purpose? To plinki/target shoot at the range go the least expensive way.

For SD...forgetaboutit!

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...Me
Old July 20, 2014, 01:35 PM   #15
TMD

Quote:
So what does it take to convert the G23 to 9mm or .357 SIG
Only thing needed is a barrel. Can be had from Lonewolf for under $150. No need for a different extractor or mags either. I've put several thousand rounds of 9mm through my G35 this way without issue.

Tags
conversion , gen 4 , glock , glock 19 , glock 23