The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 4, 2013, 12:11 PM   #76
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gats italian
If the splits from the artificial world of gaming were so all important, no one or no agency that actually uses handguns on a two way range would use anything but a variant of the Glock.
Looks like about 65% of US police departments disagree with you.

Quote:
Glock declines to provide specific sales figures, but the company is the leader in handgun sales to American police departments — indeed, a whopping 65 percent of them use Glock guns.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/41046787/n.../#.Ua4fBneGemE
Old June 4, 2013, 12:14 PM   #77
Dragline45

Quote:
You do realize the reason Glock dominates the LEO market is because they are almost giving the guns away. Not literally, but they are able to offer agencies much better deals than most gun manufacturers. Departments choose guns based off price and then performance, not the other way around.
Old June 4, 2013, 12:49 PM   #78
zincwarrior

No pistol used in a competitive environment should be viewed as meaniingful data, unless the pistols being used are stock.

Glock has aftermarket parts for aftermarket parts, just like 1911s. You will see Glocks at competitions, but none of them are stock. Thats not unique. You will hardly see a pistol thats stock there.

Further, until the pending change this year, XDs were effectively classed in the same category as 1911s. That will change now.
Old June 4, 2013, 12:59 PM   #79
Gats Italian

Quote:
Lol. Your cut and paste isn't even responsive to my point. Try again.

The point I was making was about the other 35% of po-pos and the majority of the world's actual fighting military services which remain unimpressed by gun game leader boards.
Old June 4, 2013, 01:01 PM   #80
Spats McGee
Staff

Enough of the bickering.
Old June 4, 2013, 01:06 PM   #81
Deaf Smith

Quote:
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
I agree. While the Glock concept is now rather old, it still is one of the best and it's really difficult to come out with something better (I mean really better, not just a few cosmetic changes and a bell or whistle.)

Sure the M&P is quite good as is the Springfield Armory line and others but put them in a shootout test and I doubt you will see much difference.

Deaf
Old June 4, 2013, 01:10 PM   #82
mavracer

Quote:
Glock declines to provide specific sales figures, but the company is the leader in handgun sales to American police departments — indeed, a whopping 65 percent of them use Glock guns.
That's a missleading statistic, 65% of police depts approve Glocks for use. that means if the sheriff in Bill Wyoming is allowed to carry whatever he wants Glock counts Bill Wy. They count NYPD even though many NYPD carry Sigs.
Just cause 65% of LEO can carry Glocks doesn't mean they all are.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 4, 2013, 01:13 PM   #83
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, ok, then.

Tags
glock , innovation , kel tec