The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 30, 2017, 07:58 PM   #1
whitearrow

Another safe question please

Aight fellas as some of you know I posted about what to put under my 1,500 lb browning safe. I was thinking hockey pucks or magic sliders at the corners. Now I've heard about 1/2" thick horse stall mats. I wonder how much one of these would compress under the weight of my safe?? More so than hockey pucks??
Thanks,
BigEd
Old October 1, 2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Rottweiler

I wouldn't put anything under it that would allow someone an easier access to picking it up. Bolt it directly to the floor
Old October 1, 2017, 09:51 AM   #3
FITASC

The horse weighs as much as your safe and has a much smaller footprint.........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 1, 2017, 10:19 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hockey pucks are used for the heavy machinery (lathes/mills) at school.
Old October 2, 2017, 10:15 PM   #5
whitearrow

Ok fellas would it be better to sit the safe down on the stall mat or to cut the mat so just the sides are supporting the weight,in effect making skis to sit the safe on, creating some air flow this way even if the mat deformed some of at least 1/4"?
Thanks,
BigEd
Old October 2, 2017, 10:33 PM   #6
Nlight1

Mine sits on 2"x4"
Old October 3, 2017, 07:40 PM   #7
reynolds357

Put it on two pieces like skis. It will make it even easier to break into.
Old October 4, 2017, 07:58 AM   #8
MagnumWill

Yeah, is there a specific reason you're doing this? I'm thinking about elevating my safe about a half-inch or so, but it would be on additional concrete. You don't want ANY ability to get a San Angelo bar underneath it.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:32 AM   #9
whitearrow

Just trying to think of everything before 1,500lb hits the floor. Really trying to keep rust from forming on the bottom of the safe. Creating some airflow without too much of a gap sounds like a sound plan to me but wanted y'alls input too.
Thanks,
BigEd
Old October 4, 2017, 12:29 PM   #10
Dufus

My safes are sitting on a piece of carpet cut to fit. They are indoors where the humidity is controlled. Haven't seen any rust. They are all anchored thru the carpet.
Old October 5, 2017, 08:07 AM   #11
MagnumWill

Yes, that's why I want to elevate mine as well, let's say if a pipe breaks when you're on vacation. I have not only the sump pump, but a large boiler drain that I could rely on if the water gets about a half-inch deep. We're going to have ceramic floor down there so in the grand scheme of things we'd have a couple wet carpets and some drywall/paint to do.

I think the carpet is a good idea as well, just as long as the anchors poke through it.

Until it does get wet, however... then it may get moldy and it would be a real pain to remove...

I just did some precursory research on hardiebacker's compressive strength (the cement-style drywall you use for inside showers and such) and it's saying it's at 7,000 PSI compressive strength. I think weight of safe + torque from anchors won't get near that, so that may be a good option. It's easy to work with, and if you're concerned about rust you could Dremel an airflow channel or something on the surfaces.