The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 10, 2017, 03:36 PM   #1
jwise

My next favorite revolver - S&W 27?

I really enjoy shooting and handling revolvers. I have added to my collection this past year or so a 6" S&W 586, 4 5/8 Uberti .357, a 4" S&W 625 and a 4" S&W 29.

At the end of this year, I hope to add a 4" S&W 27.

I'm still debating the 27, mostly because I haven't actually handled a new one, but I expect it will feel like my 29, just in .357.

Any other suggestions for a top of the line, smooth handling revolver? I'm not really into hard-hitting magnums (I shoot .38s and 44 Russians in my revolvers).

I don't like used guns, so I will be looking for something new, or LNIB.

Last edited by jwise; September 10, 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old September 10, 2017, 06:46 PM   #2
muzzleblast...

I have several M-27s, all vintage however. If I were looking for a new production .357 the 4" S&W M-27 would be at the top of the list.
Old September 10, 2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Slamfire

They are great shooting 357's. The weight really damps the recoil of the 357 Magnum cartridge.

It is far less objectionable to shoot than a M29 in 44 Magnum. The muzzle blast is there but not the recoil. The round is fast, almost a click-bang on my 50 yard gong target.
Old September 10, 2017, 09:00 PM   #4
UncleEd

jwise,

You get a Model 27, I'd love for you to post your shooting impressions
compared to your 6-inch 586.
Old September 10, 2017, 09:30 PM   #5
jwise

I REALLY like my 586, but compared to the M29, it is just 'small'.

I like the size of my 29 and 625 (N frames). I think the 27 is just what I'm looking for.
Old September 10, 2017, 10:18 PM   #6
lamarw

You have chosen close to one of the finest revolvers S&W produced, but it needs to be an older one in like condition to the ones Slamfire posted pictures. He has a nice depiction of the Model 27 with the 2nd engineering change. It is one of the last of the best. I also have a Model 27-2 but with the 8 & 3/8" barrel. When you look down that long beautiful checked top strap you will recognize the beauty and effort hand crafted into these wonderful revolvers. Mine is in perfect condition without a mark on it. They just don't go through the polishing effort they did back then for the beautiful bluing as on the original Model 27's.

They can still be had at a decent price with the target trigger, target hammer and target sights. You will also get the recessed cylinder if you stick with the -2 and before Model 27.
Old September 10, 2017, 11:36 PM   #7
Wheel-Gunner

If you are going to get a M27, and I really think you should as no revolver collection is complete without one, you should strongly consider getting a used one. Mine is on old one with the classic "cobalt blue" finish (think blued chrome) that doubles as a dream of a firearm and a mirror to see how much hair gets dishevelled with the fun!

Seriously, get a used one. Most of my S&Ws, particularly the classics, are used. I wasn't around when they could be bought new and they are much better than the new ones of today. Moreover, all of my revolvers get shot so they all get "used" anyway. Just be on the lookout for used vs abused and be able to tell the difference. I have seen many 27s, and though some were more used than others, I have yet to see an abused one. Most owners who forked out the dough for the best .357mag of the time (perhaps ever) had the sense to not abuse.
Old September 11, 2017, 08:06 AM   #8
jwise

I have a really hard time buying a used blued gun. I've done it twice, but they were in like new in box condition. One was a 4 inch Colt Python, and the other was a Les Baer TRS.

I don't have a problem with bluing wearing off, it's just that I want it to be because I wore off the bluing myself, not that it came that way.

On top of that, is the price of old ones in good condition. My local gun store has a 3 inch 27 from the 50s, and they want $1700 for it. It is in maybe 95% condition. I looked at it carefully, and just could not bring myself to buy it. The condition, while objectively good, is not anywhere close to perfect for me.
Old September 11, 2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Scoits

Had several M28s over the years and felt they were every bit as good a gun as the 27 at a lower cost. Not taking anything from the 27.
Old September 11, 2017, 12:18 PM   #10
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I have no problem buying used revolvers, I do it all the time. I bought this one a bunch of years ago, a 27 no dash. Shipped in June of 1959. Almost pristine condition. Sorry, I don't recall what I paid for it.

This one is a four screw. The side plate screw near the hammer has been eliminated, but the screw in front of the trigger is still there.

Love the knurling (checkering) on the top strap and barrel rib. The rear sight is even checkered. This is a carry over from the old Registered Magnums. Model 19 in the background.

I just looked at the current Model 27 still being made by S&W. Looks like they went to a Baughman front sight with the 4 inch barrel like the original 4 inchers. My 6" barrel has the Patridge front sight.

But here's a surprise. Looks like the current model has revived the five screw frame. But it retains the current machined on rib that keeps the cylinder from falling off, rather than the old style pressed in stud.

I have no problem, buying used guns with honest wear on them. Used gun prices? Can vary all over the place. Sometimes you get lucky. I found this pristine Model 14-3 a couple of years ago. Stole it for $500. Sometimes you're in right place at the right time.

Old September 11, 2017, 03:44 PM   #11
DaleA

Quote:
Shipped in June of 1959. Almost pristine condition. Sorry, I don't recall what I paid for it.
That's ok Driftwood Johnson. I don't need to grind my teeth anymore than I already do.

I've mentioned it before but I let a late 1970's Model 27 slip through my fingers and regret it to this very day.

You have a VERY fine collection. Thank you for sharing with us.
Old September 11, 2017, 05:36 PM   #12
BigJimP

A model 27-2 4" in nickel --- is one of the finest guns I own. It is a gun that will equal or exceed any colt python made, in my view.

The new versions of the model 27's are decent guns...but not better than the older versions & they are full of MIM parts. The performance center 627's are interesting guns as well....i have a pair of them - a 2 5/8" & a 5"...8 shot, .357 mag....
Old September 11, 2017, 06:15 PM   #13
jetinteriorguy

A model 27 is one of my Grail guns, simply the most beautiful revolver ever made. A 4" barrel and any of the early models would be fine by me, but I sure wouldn't buy one of the new ones. The new ones may be perfectly fine guns, but IMO you just can't beat the old ones. I do have one of the new 627's and it's a marvelous gun, but just not a thing of beauty like the older blued models.
Old September 11, 2017, 11:36 PM   #14
jwise

Seems like the 27 is king. Not one dissenter?
Old September 12, 2017, 03:46 AM   #15
Hal

Quote:
Seems like the 27 is king. Not one dissenter?
I'll be your huckleberry - LOL!

Actually, I prefer the K frame in .357 mag over the N-frame.
If I'm going to go to all the extra bother & boom of running an N-frame magnum, it's going to be a .44, not a .357.

Look at it on the positive side though -- that's just one less person you have to compete with for that ever dwindling supply of pristine old N frame Smith .357's (& registered magnums also).
Old September 12, 2017, 02:22 PM   #16
DaleA

You said you have a 4" Python. If you get the S&W 27 you'll have, IMhO, the two finest revolvers the 20th Century ever produced. That is, without getting into the absurdly expensive and practically unobtainable custom guns.

If you're shooting the guns and not just collecting them come back with your opinion of Python vs 27. I'm aware this just possibly might have been done before but I'm always interested in another perspective.

Good luck.
Old September 12, 2017, 02:32 PM   #17
SIGSHR

I have a 4" nickel -2 , looks very good with Pachmayrs. The M-27 was the original 357, so it has a certain cachet. The M-28 is the M-27 with a "service" finish, same gun otherwise. That heavy frame tames the recoil.
Old September 12, 2017, 04:53 PM   #18
UncleEd

Actually, jwise, you have two dissenters now.

I find the Model 27 absurdly big with a poor bore to grip axis.
The Python with its I frame and the L-frame Smith Model 586 or
Ruger GP 100 are much better for the .357.

As a .44 then OK.
Old September 12, 2017, 05:12 PM   #19
upstate81

Another here. While i think the 27s are gorgeous i think they are quite large. A 4 inch model 19 with goncalo alves target stocks is my favorite handgun hands down. Im lucky enough to own a 6 incher as well. If i happen across a nice vintage 27 at a decent price id buy it just for my collection without a doubt.
Old September 12, 2017, 07:16 PM   #20
Bob Wright

My personal opinion is that the Model 27, an N-Framed .357 Magnum, is a bit oversized for the .357 Magnum revolver. I've had experience with both the Model 27 and the Model 28 Highway Patrolman, and the Colt Python. But the Model 586 has been my pick of the double action .357 Magnums. The L-Framed gun shares the longer cylinder of the K-Framed .357s but with a beefed up frame, so it will take anything I stuff into the chambers. Neither the S&W N-Framed guns, nor the Python, would take my heavy (173 gr.SWC) bullets unless I seated them deeper in the case and crimped over the shoulder.

I do like muzzle heavy guns, so the full lug of the L-Framed 586 suits me to a "T."

My ideal .357 Magnum, yet to be realized, is a 7 1/2" Colt New Frontier.

Bob Wright
Old September 12, 2017, 07:40 PM   #21
jetinteriorguy

Now if they didn't have the full lug I'd be totally on board with a 4" 586. I just can't handle any revolver with a full under lug. I also am on the lookout for a nice Model 19, in a 4" of course. I have a Model 15 and Model 57 so a 19 and a 27 would complete my list of Smiths.
Old September 12, 2017, 09:38 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Partial dissenter here, I prefer the Model 28. I am in a minority, I know, but I actually like the Satin Blue of the 28 over the Hi-lustre Blue of the 27, and 29.

Don't like my pistols to be mirrors, prefer something a bit more subdued.

I have what I think it the best of both worlds, a 6" 28 with the target hammer and trigger. Nearly all the features of the 27 (all the really important ones, anyway) and at a MUCH lower price.

I don't miss the checkered top, the bead blasted flat of the 28 works just fine. Same internals as the 27, just a lesser grade finish.

If you want something other than a 4 or 6" barrel, then the 27 is the way to go. Otherwise, you get as good a working gun in the 28 for significantly less money.
Old September 12, 2017, 11:48 PM   #23
jwise

Unfortunately, the Python was LNIB and I can't bring myself to shoot it. That's why I bought the 586, to shoot! I'll probably end up selling the Python to someone who wants it more than I do.

I've thought about a 686 Deluxe (I like wood grips) and polishing it up to bright stainless. It would go nicely with my Colt Royal Stainless Gold Cup. I do like bright stainless...

I think I'm still set on the 4" 27.
Old September 13, 2017, 01:36 AM   #24
DaleA

I understand completely about the Python...there is only so much Python 'goodness' left in the world after all. And I'm not being sarcastic I really think I do understand owning something really, really nice.
Old September 13, 2017, 09:02 AM   #25
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Partial dissenter here, I prefer the Model 28. I am in a minority, I know, but I actually like the Satin Blue of the 28 over the Hi-lustre Blue of the 27, and 29.

Don't like my pistols to be mirrors, prefer something a bit more subdued.

I have what I think it the best of both worlds, a 6" 28 with the target hammer and trigger. Nearly all the features of the 27 (all the really important ones, anyway) and at a MUCH lower price.

I don't miss the checkered top, the bead blasted flat of the 28 works just fine. Same internals as the 27, just a lesser grade finish.

Howdy Again

Certainly nothing wrong with a Model 28, I have three of them. Here are two. However, the finish of a Model 28 is not bead blasted, it just has not been polished to the high degree of a Model 27 and most other older Smiths. In fact, the gloss of the Model 28 varied over the years. Some years they were more highly polished than others.

But yes, it is the high polish that was one of the factors in making the Model 27 so expensive. Polishing was done by skilled polishers, one gun at a time.