The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 9, 2017, 07:09 AM   #26
Mobuck

"I've read those Bear Creek barrels are rack grade quality. The Grendel is a accurate round. Wolf Steel Case ammo will likely be 1.5 MOA. Not a problem for a plinking and blasting AR with cheap barrel."

Yeah, I read up on the BCA "after" clicking the go button. Oh well, should be good enough for my purposes(shooting $5/box Wolf) and maybe I'll get lucky with an X-ringer. Maybe an interim deer popper for the Grandkids.
Old September 9, 2017, 07:13 AM   #27
HankC1

Is 6.5G forgiving in terms of reloading. Compare to 6.8 SPC II or 308.
Old September 9, 2017, 10:57 AM   #28
ed308

I've not reloaded 6.5 Grendel but have reloaded 6.8 and .308. Both of those are easy to reload. 6.5 Grendel may be a little difficult due to the shoulder angle for reliable feeding. The shoulder angle on the Grendel is the reason it will never become a military cartridge. Maybe Stagpanther will comment. He has both and had stated in the past the Grendel is a little more finicky to reload.
Old September 9, 2017, 06:22 PM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
I've not reloaded 6.5 Grendel but have reloaded 6.8 and .308. Both of those are easy to reload. 6.5 Grendel may be a little difficult due to the shoulder angle for reliable feeding. The shoulder angle on the Grendel is the reason it will never become a military cartridge. Maybe Stagpanther will comment. He has both and had stated in the past the Grendel is a little more finicky to reload.
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination--so take my comments with a grain of salt.

My experience has been that in general, because of the grendel's set-back shoulder, this enables the longish high SD .264 bullets to be seated long relative to the case's neck--which is a good thing since the bullet can have long tapering ogives and also prevents encroaching on powder capacity. Problem is--depending on the COAL the bullet may "engage" the chamber prior to the shoulder being lifted enough by the lips of the magazine. I personally believe this is aggravated when using an upper with conventional M4 feed ramps since they too will not provide the necessary "lift" to the bullet in some instances without the shoulder engaging them. I've had bullet meplats smack the chamber face, damaging the bullet on the way in--and even when making it in it might still damage the bullet and/or case. So--again in my experience, a "good" grendel is one that has very precisely matched barrel extension to bolt face, as well as a "tuned" magazine that reliably feeds the cartridges with the right angle to the cartridge. I'm still baffled why nobody has come up with a feed ramp that is optimized for the long .264's. I've spent obscene amounts of money on "optimized" magazines for the grendel--only to find that the magazine itself was just a few thousandths of an inch too wide, which, IMO, leads to the staggered cartridges having a better chance of getting jammed--I've seen the rim recess of a case "hook" the rim of the adjacent cartridge in the magazine thereby making it harder for the bolt to strip.

But once these things are sorted out, it is a very good cartridge for an AR provided, again in just my opinion, that it is not going to be a mission-critical battle weapon.

If this were posted on the grendel forum I am positive that there would be a huge response that I was full of it--or doing it wrong--both of which could be true.

Last edited by stagpanther; September 9, 2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old September 10, 2017, 03:43 PM   #30
GeauxTide

Quote:
6.5 Grendel may be a little difficult due to the shoulder angle for reliable feeding. The shoulder angle on the Grendel is the reason it will never become a military cartridge. Maybe Stagpanther will comment. He has both and had stated in the past the Grendel is a little more finicky to reload.
I've got a couple hundred rounds through mine without a hitch. I'm 1.5gr off Hornady 11 max.