The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 2, 2017, 01:19 PM   #1
SPEMack618

Red dot for .300 build

I'm piecing together a .300 Blk carbine build.

I saw a Sig Romeo 5 compact red dot at Cabelas.

The price in store ($200) was decent and optics planet had it at $172.

I have never used Sig optics. I was wondering if y'all had any thoughts or opinions.

Thanks.
LadyFriend: "I forgot my Boy Scout turned into an infantry officer."
Old September 2, 2017, 02:04 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

I'd choose a Primary Arms Advanced Red Dot. It has a longer batter life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 2, 2017, 02:39 PM   #3
marine6680

It is suspected that the Sig, PA, and Holosun are all made at the same factory.

That does not mean they are equal in quality though.

The PA is a pretty good optic at less than $200, but I do like the more protected turret covers on some of the Sig and Holosun models.
Old September 2, 2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Sharkbite

The Sig optics are getting good marks. In fact the FBI has just approved one for its patrol rifles

As for reddots on a 300blk rifle......YES!! Its not a super longrange cartridge. 2-300 yds is about right for supersonic loads. Think 7.62x39.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:38 PM   #5
marine6680

The FBI approved model is closer to $400 though.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Bartholomew Roberts

I thought I'd use a red dot for my .300 BLK SBR. However, as it turns out it is still wearing a 1-6x milrad scope with target turrets. The problem I run into is that unlike .223, where almost every type of ammo is within 4MOA under 300yds, .300 has a lot of different trajectories. 150gr FMJ and 168gr softpoints have significant (for my use anyway) difference in point of impact. And once you start mixing supersonic and subsonic, big difference! Heck, the difference between a flatbase subsonic 220gr and a boattail subsonic 220gr can cause you to miss 8" steel at 250yds.

So being able to easily (or even on the fly) dial in a new zero for my ammo became more useful to me. If I was going to go with a red dot, I'd pick one that could be easily adjusted and stick to one or two ammo types.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:16 AM   #7
stagpanther

I have nikon's fixed 3x 223 scope on my 300BO--works great for any reasonable range the cartridge is effective at.
Old September 4, 2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Ruga Booga

I own 3 Bushnell TRS-25s and they all have performed very well. I have one on my Dpms lr-308 and it has held point of aim so far but I have only put about 100 rounds through it. I think they are very good quality and at a good price. I bought my first one as a display model for about $85 at Cabelas. The other two I purchased through personal sales. $70 and $75 and they both came with a riser mount and co witness on my Dpms and my ar15
Old September 4, 2017, 02:43 PM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
I own 3 Bushnell TRS-25s and they all have performed very well. I have one on my Dpms lr-308 and it has held point of aim so far but I have only put about 100 rounds through it. I think they are very good quality and at a good price. I bought my first one as a display model for about $85 at Cabelas. The other two I purchased through personal sales. $70 and $75 and they both came with a riser mount and co witness on my Dpms and my ar15
I've had 3 TRS 25's as well--but two of them fell apart almost immediately. China junk IMO. I do have one that is hanging on--nice when it can actually work. : )
Old September 4, 2017, 04:58 PM   #10
rickyrick

I like the primary Arms red dot, for a budget.
I've wanted the TRS 25, and have looked through it. Never owned one.

I found a weaver 1x with a physical dot cross hair reticle in mint condition, it was my final decision. I did try a mueller reflex type dot I found in a clearance bin... worked great but couldn't find an aesthetically pleasing riser that I liked.
Old September 4, 2017, 07:58 PM   #11
Eazyeach

I had a bushnell trs25 as my 1st red dot sight. It's the reason I stay away from cheapie optics now. The brightness /on/off dial was so hard to turn I had to use channel locks to turn it off from middle settings. I don't spend crazy money on scopes but I stick to the eotech for red dot and leupold for magnified optics. But I'm thinking about an aimpoint pro or a Steiner 1-4 for my spare AR.
Old September 4, 2017, 08:22 PM   #12
Ralph Allen

I have a Sig ROMEO 4 on a CZ Scorpion carbine. Have heard all the Holosun/Sig comparisons. My Sig is a great sight. When you get to comparing specs between the 2, you will find that the Sig specs higher in all categories. I'm not saying the Holosun is a bad sight, just doesn't have the same spec sheet as the Sig, even if they truly are made in the same factory.
Ralph