The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 29, 2017, 06:42 PM   #1
stagpanther

PSA 7.62 x 39 carbine upper

OK--I'm a sucker--PSA has blem uppers for $149 including shipping (excludes BCG and handle)--curiosity bug has bitten me to pop this on an AR lower and compare this to the PSA AK47 zhukov I recently bought. Anyone tried them?
Old August 29, 2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Mobuck

You have a bolt? If not make sure what it will cost to get one. Make sure to check the headspace. the only headspace problem I've had with multiple AR assembly projects occurred with an X39 round. In my case it was a 5.45 but I think there's still the need to check.
Old August 29, 2017, 07:15 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
You have a bolt? If not make sure what it will cost to get one. Make sure to check the headspace. the only headspace problem I've had with multiple AR assembly projects occurred with an X39 round. In my case it was a 5.45 but I think there's still the need to check.
I do--but not a PSA (of course they are out of stock lol)--so I already expect the chances are 50/50 the bolt may not headspace right to PSA's chamber cut.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Mobuck

I had a fairly bad experience re: the 5.45 bolt/chamber issue. First shot left the neck of the case in the throat of the chamber. Got that out and 2nd shot did the same thing. Made a call to the guy who sold me the barrel and returned for refund. Next 5.45 barrel I bought, I sent my bolt to have the headspace set properly. All my 7.62x39's have been set up using matched bolt/barrel so no problems with those.
Old August 29, 2017, 09:49 PM   #5
RedneckFur

I haven't had any experience with a 7.62x39 upper, but I've really wanted to give one a try. I feel like it would be a low cost alternative to the 300blk, although you loose the some of the subsonic versatility that it has.

I've heard that there are often issues with getting x39 to feed in a mag designed to fit a 5.56 lower receiver, but Now there are companies who make lowers designed to take AK style mags.
Old August 30, 2017, 01:15 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
I had a fairly bad experience re: the 5.45 bolt/chamber issue. First shot left the neck of the case in the throat of the chamber. Got that out and 2nd shot did the same thing.
Interesting--maybe the chamber's neck cut thin?
Old August 30, 2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Mobuck

"Interesting--maybe the chamber's neck cut thin?"
The barrel guy said the chamber was over-length enough to cause the steel case to separate at the shoulder. He offered to start over with another blank but I'd had other issues with the barrel so took the refund and bought a VooDoo Tactical from another place.

"I've heard that there are often issues with getting x39 to feed in a mag designed to fit a 5.56 lower receiver,"

I've had excellent results with C-Products/ASC metal mags and some unbranded polymer mags that look like TherMold. I don't shoot the 7.62X39's much as they are mostly niche hunting guns. Accurate enough for deer at the ranges for which the 7,62 is suitable, low recoil, and fairly mild muzzle blast.
Old August 31, 2017, 06:54 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

Last Christmas I bought an AR Stoner upper with BCG and CH when they were on sale. Absolutely love it, it's been 100% reliable, shoots consistently at 1.75 MOA with my handloads and is a blast to shoot. Definitely get the C Product Defense mags or the AR Stoner mags to avoid feeding problems. You can use AR mags for 5 rounds or less just fine, I use a ten rounder this way for shooting off a bench. My co worker has two of the PSA versions and has had the same results as mine. I haven't tried any of the cheap steel ammo yet, I have plenty of brass and components so I don't mess with the cheap stuff.

Last edited by jetinteriorguy; August 31, 2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old August 31, 2017, 07:14 AM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
Last Christmas I bought an AR Stoner upper with BCG and CH when they were on sale. Absolutely love it, it's been 100% reliable, shoots consistently at 1.75 MOA with my handloads and is a blast to shoot. Definitely get the C Product Defense mags or the AR Stoner mags to avoid feeding problems. You can use AR mags for 5 rounds or less just fine, I use a ten rounder this way for shooting off a bench. My co worker has two of the PSA versions and has had the same results as mine. I haven't tri d any of the cheap steel ammo yet, I have plenty of brass and components so I don't mess with the cheap stuff.
I have a pretty big collection of grendel mags--and mags I've modified to get to work with grendel/ppc "spawn." I figure I might have to mess with them a bit to get around the tapered case of the x 39 if needs be. Got plenty of AK mags, and briefly thought about getting a lower configured for them, but I'll give this a try first.
Old August 31, 2017, 06:18 PM   #10
stolivar

I have the psa upper in 7.62x39

I love it. will shoot anything in it and I can get 1.5 inch groups with WPA at 100 yards.

steve
Old August 31, 2017, 06:24 PM   #11
stagpanther

Thanks steve--the one I ordered has a simple glacier hand guard and fixed front sight post--is that what you have as well?
Old August 31, 2017, 07:14 PM   #12
turtlehead

I have one complete carbine upper and the exact same experience as stolivar.

Also did a recent build with just the PSA midlength barrel and it shoots just a bit better. Pretty surprising actually for a $99 barrel and Polyformance ammo.
Old August 31, 2017, 11:02 PM   #13
stolivar

I didn't have to do anything to mine. Perfect from day one.

Steve
Old September 2, 2017, 06:06 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I thought about getting a lower made to use AK mags, but I decided not to after researching them. Seems that they aren't as reliable if you happen to hold your rifle by the mag instead of the handguard. Even though I don't hold my rifle this way, it still kept me from buying one of these lowers. I haven't checked lately to see if maybe they've improved the design to work better. If they have I might just have to put together another rifle, would be nice to use all my AK mags. But, right now I have the new Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39 on my list.
Old September 4, 2017, 10:41 AM   #15
gshayd

I purchaseda SIG 556R in 7.62x39 after they got their problems fixed. Works pretty good.
Old September 7, 2017, 03:53 PM   #16
stagpanther

The PSA upper came in today and I was able to hobble the rest of the rifle together. All I had was old stuff I've stripped from other AR's when upgrading them--but you know what--I kinda like the idea of "going retro" for a change. Besides which, I think a standard stock and hand guard makes for a fairer comparison to my PSAK.

I thought I had a spare AR cantilevered mount lying around, I didn't--so I'll have to get by with standard rings and a combat latch on the charging handle til one comes in. I'm busy through Monday--but I hope to get some shots through her by early next week.

PSA sold this as a blem--try as I might I couldn't find one anywhere; at least nothing that stands out as being more than what I generally get on other new stuff I've bought.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170907_161415_HDR.jpg (154.2 KB, 402 views)
Old September 8, 2017, 10:19 AM   #17
smee78

I built a X39 AR for hunting and have had no problems using ASC mags to get it feeding right. They are really fun to shoot and I am very happy I built it. A X39 bolt is really the only other weak part of the rifle due to the rim being very thin but I have not experienced any problems with mine. Looks like a nice rifle.

I love when PSA has their blem items, the price is usually pretty good.
Old September 9, 2017, 12:13 AM   #18
stagpanther

Quote:
I built a X39 AR for hunting and have had no problems using ASC mags to get it feeding right
I bought an AR stoner mag and one made by Franklin Armory. They are both stamped "ASC."