The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 21, 2017, 11:42 AM   #51
Minorcan

I would go with the 45-70 it is a very versatile round. It can go slow and kick like a mule with a 500 great bullet or be fast and flat with very mild kick at 305 great. There also some really high power manufactures that boost the 300 great above 2000 fps.I like pistol cartridges in pistols and rifle cartridges in rifles. Just me though.
Old August 21, 2017, 11:52 AM   #52
dahermit

Quote:
45-70 is my choice....
Quote:
This....they decimated the American Bison so I think it will do just fine on a White Tail...
From what I understand, the Bison were hunted using mostly Sharps with preparatory chamberings and a few other big bores, not the 45-70 Government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_rifle

Last edited by dahermit; August 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old August 21, 2017, 12:44 PM   #53
deadcoyote

I know this wasn't quite what you were after, but I picked up a 24" rifled slug barrel for my mossberg 500 used for $70. It looks unused, and besides my gun being blued and the barrel being parked it is perfect.
Old August 21, 2017, 01:59 PM   #54
eastbank

I have a ruger # one A in .460, that also will shoot the 45 LC and the .454 casell. eastbank.
Old August 22, 2017, 06:46 AM   #55
Jack O'Conner

44 MAG is my top choice for hunting where my shots are typically about 100 yards or less. I tend to buy Hornady ammo featuring either the Lever-evolution or XTP bullets. Both bullets produce large holes and ghastly wound channels despite the lower velocity of this round compared to other centerfire cartridges. That's why the 44 MAG is such a deadly one - it smashes large holes through game animals.

Jack
Old August 22, 2017, 07:57 AM   #56
Zen Archery

30.06 is an all around North American Game Animal round. But since you want a lever action my first gonto is 30/30 second would be a 45/70.
Old August 22, 2017, 09:03 AM   #57
Dirty_Harry

You didn't read the OP did you....^^

Michigan is more restrictive on the calibers. I built a .450 Bushmaster. It is very accurate and it made sense since I shoot AR's a lot. If I were you I'd get a .45-70 Marlin. Something about hunting with a levergun just feels right. The .45-70 is a very versatile round as well.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 22, 2017, 05:03 PM   #58
dgludwig

Quote:
But since you want a lever action my first gonto is 30/30
The op is asking for advice concerning rifles chambered with cartridges having straight-walled cases.
Old August 24, 2017, 03:50 PM   #59
Elliottsdad

Quote:
Marlin also claims that bringing back the Model 444 is one of their highest priorities, even though it requires all new tooling for the 444-specific parts or machine operations. Remington doesn't invest in dead-ends.
I've been reading non-stop about these straight walled cartridges (I always do before a "big" purchase), and so far it looks like for a balance of affordability, power, commonality, I'd be looking at a .44 mag.
However, that 444 Marlin is really tempting, and I wish someone knew when/if Marlin was actually going to re-release a lever gun in that cartridge. I've looked all over, and can find nothing solid.

Last edited by Elliottsdad; August 24, 2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old August 24, 2017, 04:31 PM   #60
Reloadron

Quote:
Best straight-walled cartridge for deer hunting.
So, long story short: I moved to Iowa, which until recently only allowed shotguns shooting slugs, or muzzleloaders during deer season. This year they began to allow straight walled pistol/rifle cartridges.

This wouldn't be a problem, as I've always wanted a good lever action 30-30. However, there is a caveat: the cartridges used must be .357 or higher in diameter.

The game and parks catalog included a short list, with .357 mag, .357 maximum, .45 long colt, 10mm, .41 mag, .44 mag/spec, 45/70, .444 marlin.. but said wildcats weren't necessarily disqualified as long as they met the criteria.

Which would you go with and why? Thanks!
I have never hunted deer in Iowa and while I have driven across Iowa I never gave much thought to the terrain which would be a prime consideration in my choice of cartridge. Here I sit in Ohio which only recently opened deer hunting to rifle and it must be a straight wall cartridge, similar to those mentioned. With Ohio's former restrictive laws I always went to West Virginia and hunted with an old friend. I seldom had a shot over 100 yards, hell most were 50 to maybe 70 yards. My rifle of choice was a little Ruger 44 Carbine which complemented my S&W Model 29. The 44 Magnum was well suited to the terrain and short distance shots. I also liked the short and handy carbine.

I did for a few years use a 444 Marlin which was a gift from my wife but as to hunting inside 100 yards I migrated back to that little carbine. So in keeping with a straight wall inside 100 yards I like the 44 Magnum, especially since it complimented my revolver. Distances over 100 yards I like the 444 Marlin. These simply being guns I had and they worked fine. I also like the 45 Colt and the 45-70 Government, either is a fine cartridge and beyond 100 yards I would, in this case, take the 45-70.

There is no shortage of good to great cartridges out there for deer and deer sized game depending on the terrain and distance you plan to shoot. Whatever you choose or have chosen I wish you the best of luck with it.

Ron
Old August 24, 2017, 08:11 PM   #61
Elliottsdad

Ron,

Thanks for the response! I'm really struggling with this purchase: I read, and read, and read about cartridges, and I've been saving up for a Nebraska rifle, and was all set for 7mm-08. Then we moved to Iowa.

So with that being said, the whole rifle thing went back to the drawing board for me. To be honest, I thought Iowa was slug/muzzleloader only when we moved, but was thankful to learn they decided to allow hunting with something else, especially in a repeating rifle configuration, this year.

I love the idea of a .44 lever action (with a revolver to pair with it in the future), but the 444 Marlin would be great as a true rifle cartridge in comparison to the .44 mag. Because I'm recoil sensitive, I'm still leaning toward that .44 mag. Decisions, decisions..

Also, thanks to all of TheFiringLine's members, and their insights on this matter. I know there are a few states dealing with this odd.....legal method of hunting situation (a .460 rifle, 45-70, or .454 Casull somehow wouldn't be as dangerous in Iowa as a .30-30??)
Old August 25, 2017, 12:48 AM   #62
Stats Shooter

I'm originally from Nebraska. Dundy county, west of McCook. My family farms there about 25 miles south of imperial. Brother lives in Kearney, wife is from colombus.

Anyway, knowing your environment you will be hunting in, I honestly suggest a .45-70.
The reason is because you can use the leverevoluton ammo from hornady and have an easy 300 yard rifle that is compliant with Iowa State law. You can shoot downloaded cast ammo that kicks very mildly, or if you get a lever action or Ruger #1, you can push it up to some pretty stout loads.

I'm fairly new to the 45-70 myself. But I have learned just how versitle this cartridge is. In fact you can load it with pistol powder and make a .44 mag--like pussycat load...or,like I said, go big with a 405 gr jacketed bullet and imr 3031 and stop a grizzly bear.

If you don't reload, 45-70 ammo is easy to find too, and the lever revolution ammo from hornady is good stuff.

Anyway. I wanted a lever action straight walled case gun. And after much research, and evaluation of utility, I went 45-70 and do not regret it one bit.
Old August 25, 2017, 07:17 AM   #63
Reloadron

Elliottsdad:
Quote:
Ron,

Thanks for the response! I'm really struggling with this purchase: I read, and read, and read about cartridges, and I've been saving up for a Nebraska rifle, and was all set for 7mm-08. Then we moved to Iowa.
These are always difficult threads as when trying to help someone make a decision not knowing them is difficult. About anyone can do is suggest a cartridge or rifle they prefer and explain why they prefer it. Ah yes, recoil. My little Ruger 44 Carbine, even being a gas gun, is not quite a pleasure to shoot wearing a T-Shirt. The recoil as perceived by me is a stout bite. However, when hunting and the shot comes the last thing anyone thinks about is the felt recoil. You just become focused on the shot and everything seems automatic. Even when taking two shots in quick succession. Before you know what happened it's over and hopefully your game is down and dead on the spot or real close to it.

The early logic Ohio and similar states used when determining a rifle for deer hunting was Population Density. That combined with how flat the state is. The theory being a heavy bullet at a lower muzzle velocity will drop quicker when the target is missed. This does not always eliminate bad things from happening. Several years ago out in the Amish Country a kid discharged his muzzle loader simply to clear it. He fired up angle and a mile away that slug came down striking an Amish girl, in a buggy and killed her.

Anyway, I am sure you will be happy with your ultimate decision and you are doing your homework in the decision making process.

Ron
Old August 25, 2017, 08:21 AM   #64
Deja vu

Id go with 357 magnum or 45-70.

But I admit I am bias.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 25, 2017, 09:49 AM   #65
Doyle

Quote:
Remington doesn't invest in dead-ends
Actually, they have a history of investing in dead-ends (or nearly dead ends). .244 Remington, 5mm rimfire, 7mm Remington Express, RUMs, etc.
Old August 25, 2017, 12:04 PM   #66
Pathfinder45

Yeah, lots of dead-ends. Like electric ignition rifles and such.
Old August 25, 2017, 12:38 PM   #67
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Actually, they have a history of investing in dead-ends (or nearly dead ends). .244 Remington, 5mm rimfire, 7mm Remington Express, RUMs, etc.
There's a notable difference between a product failing to take hold, and re-investing in an established product.

And nearly everything on that list has been done by other companies, as well. Remington isn't the only gun or ammunition company that has had new products flop, due to design deficiencies, incorrectly gauging the market, using the wrong marketing approach, or going a little too far in trying to skirt the law. Though Remington is the only one I can think of that shot themselves in the foot by changing the names of cartridges multiple times.
Other failures that come to mind: .256 Win Mag. .350 Norma Mag. Ruger Hawkeye revolver. .22 Winchester Auto. Pretty much all of the short mags (Rem, Ruger, Win...). .38 Casull. Win 1893. Daisy V/L. S&W Model 53. .401 Herter's Powermag. Win M59. .45 GAP. 8mm Hodgdon. And more...
Old August 25, 2017, 08:03 PM   #68
johnwilliamson062

357 max is the flattest, least recoil, and plenty of power out to 200 yds.
Someone did recently produce some ammunition, but I believe it was rather tame and use ?Jameson? brass which has less than stellar reviews.
Old August 25, 2017, 09:17 PM   #69
Dirty_Harry

I'll say one thing, the .450 Bushmaster is lighter on the shoulder than most 45-70's since your recoil sensitive.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old September 3, 2017, 12:32 AM   #70
Ruga Booga

I have a TC encore pro hunter frame with a 20 in. barrel chambered for 500 s&w. Recoil is hardcore with 350 gn xtp's.
Old September 3, 2017, 05:59 AM   #71
458winshooter

Rifle choice

I would like to suggest that you look around at a couple of stores and see what kind of ammo is readily available to you unless you reload.Any of the cartridges you listed will work.Another consideration should be what type of hunting,close in woods or over an open field. I think though I would look long and hard at a 44 mag.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:09 AM   #72
zipspyder

Either a pistol cartridge or a buffalo buster is not a choice I'd like to make. Neither are bad but stupid law is stupid...30-30 would have been a prefect choice.
Old September 3, 2017, 07:57 AM   #73
Nathan

I'm surprised 375 Winchester isn't making a comeback. Better deer round, imo.
Old September 3, 2017, 09:59 AM   #74
Elliottsdad

"Either a pistol cartridge or a buffalo buster is not a choice I'd like to make. Neither are bad but stupid law is stupid...30-30 would have been a prefect choice."

I couldn't agree more.
Old September 3, 2017, 10:06 AM   #75
Deaf Smith

.444 Marlin with Hornady leverevolution 444 marlin ammo! 265 Grain pointed bullet at 2325 Feet Per Second!

OR

45/70 Marlin with Hornady leverevolution ammo. 325 Grain pointed bullet at 2050 Feet Per Second.

Either one!

Deaf