The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 29, 2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Lyle14

Taurus M66 7 Shot Firing Issue

So this is my first firearm and I looked it over when I picked it up and seemed fine, but when I took it home I noticed that after I pull the trigger the first time the hammer fires correctly, but if I pull the trigger right after that the cylinder cycles and the hammer does not cock.

If I try to pull the trigger 2-3 more times the hammer will operate as it should but it does this every time.

I notice that under the cylinder there is a small catch that is supposed to come down during trigger pull and comes back up to grab the cylinder. Sometimes it does not go up all the way into the cylinder groove and even if it does it may still not mean the hammer will cock.

I don't know what that is but could that be the problem? I read the manual and it said something about a trigger stop misalignment might keep the revolver from firing, but when I looked underneath the grip where it was supposed to be this model doesn't seem to have it, as nothing is there.

Update: If I wiggle the trigger after firing it each time it will fire again, something connected to the trigger must be hanging up or is loose.
Old July 30, 2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Ibmikey

You purchased a Taurus which normally requires a few trips to the factory to get it functioning reasonably well. I guess that is pretty strong but Taurus has a reputation that I'm sure they would like to shed.
My two Taurus purchases both required intense stoning of internal parts to get them to function correctly.
Old July 31, 2017, 09:46 PM   #3
Lyle14

Honestly, I was thinking about getting a rugar blackhawk but it was nearly 200 more. It did come with a 9mm converter cylinder which was very tempting.

It got the Taurus M66 because of the great reviews it had.

I inspected it inside and saw that the part inside responsible for the double action was getting caught up on a place that wasn't polished well. The imperfection is so small but was enough to cause the catch to hang on it sometimes.

So I shipped it off on its warranty, they gave me a shipping label and now I have to wait for a month to get it back. I did go into great detail about the problem so there shouldn't be one after I get it back. Everything else looks great.
Old August 1, 2017, 07:21 AM   #4
wild cat mccane

Call them up or better, visit their website and chat live.

Don't even think about letting them not sending you a return label-they should pay for you to ship it has it's broken.

Sounds like the cylinder is misaligned.

My M66 had to go back brand new a few months back. It took 7 weeks to return. Came back perfect.

I know from ownership of a few of both, the Taurus has a much better factory trigger and better trigger than the GP100 with the Wolff spring kit.
Old August 4, 2017, 12:59 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

First problem: You bought a Taurus. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

OK, You squeeze the trigger in the double action mode and the cylinder rotates but the hammer doesn't cock back. The sear is not being engaged by the trigger and thus the trigger isn't acting on the sear to cock the hammer back.

The operation of the cylinder stop is independent of the hammer. The cylinder stop is lowered when the nose of the trigger pushes the shelf of the cylinder stop down. When the two disengage, the cylinder stop acts under pressure of the spring and pops back up. If it doesn't rise fully, shame on the assembler for doing a sloppy job.

You bought it new? It's a factory warranty station problem. Send it to them.
Old August 4, 2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Model12Win

Taurus can make fabulous arms. I hear their Beretta 92 clone is even better than the real Beretta 92, the controls are better etc.

For this issue I would send them an email asking for a return label, though.
Old August 4, 2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Scorch

Call Taurus. They will give you instructions on how to handle the return.

Customer Care Call Center

Call Toll Free: (800) 327-3776
Monday thru Friday - 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM (EST)

And in the FWIW category, while Taurus firearms are generally not too bad, you bought a low-budget gun, you can expect them to have a few issues. But Taurus will fix it.