The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2011, 01:31 AM   #1
bacardisteve

eastern coyote calls

Me and a friend are gonna start hunting coyotes this year and im trying to get some advice on a few calls. I plan to use handcalls to start and im gonna pick up a cottontail distress call and a woodpecker distress but was wondering if anybody has ever had any success with squirrell distress. Also im leaning twords primos hand calls but wouldnt mind hearing some of your favorites. Thanks guys n gals
Old October 31, 2011, 02:44 AM   #2
Scorch

Cottontail distress for general calling. Jackrabbit distress, piglet distress, doe bleats, red fox distress, etc, are regional, but a cottontail distress works pretty much anywhere.

And a rodent squeaker to lure them in close. Almost like murder. They will often stop, raise their head, and look straight at you. That's your cue to pull the trigger thingy.
Old November 4, 2011, 11:59 PM   #3
"JJ"

For calls, I would suggest learning how to use an open reed call. You can also get and use some closed reed calls, but a well made open reed can make many different sounds.
Eventually you make check out the diaphragm calls for totally hands free calling!!

I would also recommend a decoy of some kind. A coyote likes to come to the edge of cover close to where the sound was coming from and stop to get a visual confirmation. This is usually when they spot your head moving back and forth.

Make sure to play the wind! If the coyote hits your scent cone the game is over!!

I also carry a shotgun with me to each stand. I have had a few coyotes surprise me with a fast approach.

And one more warning:
IT CAN BE ADDICTIVE!!!

Enjoy!
Old November 5, 2011, 01:44 AM   #4
huntinaz

Quote:
For calls, I would suggest learning how to use an open reed call.
Agreed. They are very easy to use in my opinion, and you can make more sounds with them. The TT Extreme is the best open reed call on the market as far as I'm concerned.The way I see it, Tony should give me free calls for as much advertising I do for him.http://www.predatoruniversity.com/customcalls.html

I've called fox, bobcat, and coyote with this call. It's been extremely productive for me.
Quote:
And one more warning:
IT CAN BE ADDICTIVE!!!
Ain't that the truth! Predator hunting is a very close second to big game hunting for me. I shudder thinking about the years I went without predator hunting.