The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 26, 2011, 11:09 AM   #1
Poodleshooter

Free spin pawl on Ruger SBH?

Is anyone running a free spin pawl on their Ruger SBH? In particular, can you run one on an unmodified old model?
I don't think there's any change between the pawl on old models and transfer bar models,but I've only had limited experience with the new models.
Old June 3, 2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Ok, apparently this doesn't work on an Old Model SBH. I'l chalk that up as a home gunsmithing lesson learned.
At least I'm not out much $.

I picked up a stock Ruger pawl to modify, and shaved it down.
The part is identical to the old model part, but pawl/ratchet position differs from three screw old models to the new models. On an old model, loading position is at half cock, the cylinder stop is down, and the pawl is still exposed enough (and locked by the hammer's half cock notch) to lock any reverse motion of the cylinder even with the shaved down free spin pawl. On the new models that load at hammer down, the pawl is apparently low enough that it can move backwards and allow both reverse and forward motion of the cylinder with the modified pawl / ratchet.