The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
CraCZ

S&W M28-2 cylinder wont open

When I bought this gun I noticed that it was a little harder to push the latch to open the cylinder than my other Smith's. So I thought all it needed was a little lub job. Wrong. Now its frozen shut. Any home remedies or should I just take it to the gunsmith? Thanx for any input-Ken
Old January 25, 2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Ken

Are there rounds stuck in this gun? if this is the case, take it to a smith!

if not Often the extractor rod has loosened and is binding the cylinder latch (thumb-piece) from doing it's job. Try holding the extractor rod in place (I use a a aluminum letter opener with a rap of electricians tape) partially cock the gun until the cylinder locking lug drops, then spin the cylinder 1 to 3 turns, release the extractor rod and try opening the cylinder. If a loose extractor rod is the problem, a little nail polish on those fine threads should keep this from happening.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old January 26, 2010, 04:34 PM   #3
CraCZ

Thanks for the reply Bob. No there are no rounds in the cylinder. After posting yesterday, I finally got it open somehow and I took off the latch and put in some CLP. I checked the Ex. rod and it was secure and tried getting some oil inside the rod by pressing down that tit behind the center of the cylinder because it was pretty siff and hard to press in. Infact I checked my M19 and that tit is not sticking out as much as the 19.? I know they are 2 different guns entirely but that tit on the 28 is an A cup compared to a D cup on thje 19. I had the 28 working pretty good. Today it froze up again. I think something is wrong with the latch because I can move the latch to the rear from rest and forward which is where it binds and doesnt release the cylinder.
Old January 26, 2010, 11:22 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Swing out the cylinder and look at the breech where the hole is for the center pin*. Push the latch forward and see if the front of the latch is flush with the breech face. It should be.

Then use a non-marring tool to push the center pin in from the rear (cylinder still swung out) and make sure the front is flush with the end of the extractor rod. It should be.

The center pin is hard to push in, it has a strong spring. But if it seems too stiff, you can introduce some penetrant either from the front or the rear.

If those "should be"s aren't, get back to us.

*"that tit behind the center of the cylinder"

Jim
Old January 27, 2010, 03:03 PM   #5
CraCZ

Thanks for the info Jim. If I can get the cylinder to open I will try that.