The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 9, 2006, 07:52 PM   #1
stolivar

Maine bears

What guns can u hunt with for Maine bears and what do you recommend. Also do they allow semi's. I am asking for a friend of mine.

steve
Old November 9, 2006, 08:10 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley

Deja Vu

I took my son up to Maine at the end of this summer for a bear hunt. He got his with a Marlin 336 in .35 remington. One shot kill through the heart.

We also brought along a Remington 870 as a back-up. It was in camp when he hunted with the Marlin; but in case there were any problems with the Marlin we would have had another suitable gun.

It is legal to use a semi-auto in maine so long as it cannot hold more than 5 rounds in the magazine, see the quote for exact info:

Quote:
Legal firearms for hunting: Handguns, rifles and shotguns not larger than 10-gauge are legal for hunting in Maine, except as follows: Automatic firearms are illegal. Auto-loading firearms are illegal if they hold more than 6 cartridges (does not apply to .22 caliber rimfire guns or to auto-loading pistols with barrel less than 8 inches.)
This is from: http://www.state.me.us/ifw/hunttrap/...offirearmslaws

All the best,
Glenn B
Old November 9, 2006, 08:23 PM   #3
ammo.crafter

Last year I spent a lot of time in a tree stand with my Marlin .444 loaded with Hornady lite mags. My buddy had a .375 H&H by Dakota....a bit pricey for me, though.

I'm a big bore fan and found the .444 never let me down from deer to big hog to black bear.

Good lich; have fun.