The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2004, 07:50 PM   #1
M77

Ansley H Fox?

I found this old shot gun in my dads attic. Its a double barell side by side with the twists inside the barrel. It turns out it was my great grandfathers so it is exteremely old. The only writtings i could find on it are Ansley H Fox. Is that the brand or what.

Any info appreciated
Old November 22, 2004, 01:42 AM   #2
M77

well i figured out what it is. Could anybody give me a rough estimate on how much it would cost to restock and finish it. Damn squirell chewed all over the stock while it was in the attic.
Old November 22, 2004, 06:17 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Possible that Gun Parts or Numerich arms has them. Go to Search

gun parts

Numerich Arms

Gunstocks: Here you may find someone who makes them, inletted or finished, and the cost of such.

HJN
Old December 16, 2004, 10:23 PM   #4
HunterTRW

The book Best Guns by Michael McIntosh has an entire chapter devoted to the Fox gun. This book is excellent and will shed a great deal of light on your classic.

I trust you know that since your gun has Damascus barrels you should NEVER attempt to shoot modern nitro loads through it. Damascus was designed for use with black powder and will not stand the pressures generated by today's nitro powders. At minimum you could suffer blown barrels; at the worst a fatal injury.

Please have this gun checked by a competent gunsmith. He/she can determine whether it's worth restoring to shooting condition (by the addition of barrel sleeves) or is suitable only as a wall-hanger. Because it's a Fox, and because of its sentimental value, it deserves nothing less.

Good luck!

A.H. Fox Gun "The Finest Gun in the World"
Old December 18, 2004, 07:41 PM   #5
tokarevman

I regualary shoot skeet with my A&H fox, i love that gun it still has the tight would to metal finish and no gaps in anyting, they are just great guns.
Old December 19, 2004, 09:36 PM   #6
Rustic

Are you sure the barrels are damascus?

A H Foxes started production in 1907, and one of my resources states that damascus steel was never used. Ansley Fox was a machinist who used coil springs and Krupp fluid steel.

If yours has a twist barrel, it may be quite rare, may have been rebarreled, or may be some type of reproduction. I guess another possibility would be some type of paradox barrel with rifling near the muzzle for slugs?

Stocks would be a custom proposition, but if you planned to shoot it, you would want less drop than was customary 90 years ago, anyway.
Old December 20, 2004, 12:29 AM   #7
tokarevman

I am prety shure the slug barrel is post 1930's after 1930s A&H fox got bought out by anuther company after then and the quality of the gun went down a bit but not much, but heck i may be all wrong.
Old December 20, 2004, 09:58 PM   #8
HunterTRW

Fox: Manufactured prior to 1907 WITH Damascus barrels

Of Ansley Fox, Michael McIntosh's book, Best Guns, states, "The 1898 Baltimore city directory lists him as president of the Fox Gun Company, 5 West German Street."

Of Damascus-barreled guns, Mr. McIntosh goes on to say about Fox, "An item in the premiere issue of The Sporting Goods Dealer, October 1899, says: 'The Fox shot gun, invented and patented by Ansley Fox, one of the most promising young trap shots of this state, is being manufactured here now, but the trouble is that he can not manufacture guns fast enough to supply the demand.' At least a handful of these guns still exist: twist-barreled, 12-gauge doubles stamped 'Fox Gun Co. Balto. Md. U.S.A.' on the left side of the frames."

If, indeed, your Fox has Damascus barrels, then it may be quite a rarity, and accordingly valuable. Please consult a knowledgeable gunsmith ASAP.

Good luck!