The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 28, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
AK71

Only you can prevent...

a poor gun purchase

My goal is to get a list of things I should NOT make a part of my next gun purchase option list. After reading these boards and trying to ingest all the information out there, I've come to the conclusion there are too many options and specifications for me to make the "perfect" decision. However, I'm hoping to get a more manageable amount of information to steer clear of which will make me more efficient and spontaneous when a good option does come up. So please throw out any gun makers/models and/or gun specifications to avoid for my next purchase given these parameters:

1) My goal is a good, reliable HD gun and an EDC. I am fine with - and would prefer in the short term - one that does both so I can focus on mastering one gun since I am so new to the gun world.

2) I have an XD9 that works well, but I have nothing to compare it to. I would be perfectly happy to make it my only gun but it seems less than ideal for EDC. And in truth I am becoming obsessed with all these great guns you guys own and want a new one!

3) I'm 6'2 and don't really like subcompact guns because they feel wrong. Compacts are probably fine but might need an extended grip if my hand extends much below the bottom.

4) I would prefer not to hear about specific guns you don't like but rather ones that have known problems or obvious limitations for my needs. Broad categories of guns or easily identifiable specifications at a LGS would be most helpful (e.g. DA-only, over 4" barrel).

5) I will break my own rule and mention that my budget is under $1000 and $800 would be better. If you have the "perfect" gun(s) for my situation I'm not going to ignore any recommendations.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for all your expertise!
Old March 28, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Ferretboy

Nothing wrong with the XD9 in a proper holster, or three, just depends on how you want to carry it any given day.

Welcome to the world of guns: like potato chips, ya cant have just one.
Old March 28, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL.

As Ferretboy said, there's nothing wrong with an XD9. I don't own one myself, but from everything I've read and heard, it's a reliable, user-friendly gun. Then you'd just have 1 gun for EDC and HD. IMHO, that's not a bad plan. You could spend the $800-1000 on ammo, training and range time.

Let me ask this, though: What is it about the XD9 that makes you say it's less than ideal for EDC? Size? Depending on your wardrobe, climate, etc., you may be able to CC an XD9 just fine. There are a fair number of folks who CC Gov't-model 1911s.
Old March 28, 2013, 03:08 PM   #4
CPO15

Search the net for reviews of guns which interest you. While I believe more buyers will post negative experiences, their poor experiences wil at least provide you with some general expectation of reliability. Please do not, as I did, ignore the preponderance of bad experiences and expect to "get a good one".

While it is true that you get what you pay for, even the high dollar manufacturers can produce questionable quality firearms.

But, help us help you: are you limited to semi-autos? a particular calibre? finish?
Old March 28, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
AK71

Quote:
Let me ask this, though: What is it about the XD9 that makes you say it's less than ideal for EDC? Size? Depending on your wardrobe, climate, etc., you may be able to CC an XD9 just fine. There are a fair number of folks who CC Gov't-model 1911s.
Good question. My concerns are:

1) No manual safety besides the grip safety
2) The slide is a little tough and it is SA-only
3) It seems to my unfamiliar eyes a little wide for CC but that is with zero experience carrying. I'm close to just getting a solid leather holster just to see how it feels if that is a good plan.
Old March 28, 2013, 03:20 PM   #6
AK71

Quote:
Search the net for reviews of guns which interest you. While I believe more buyers will post negative experiences, their poor experiences wil at least provide you with some general expectation of reliability. Please do not, as I did, ignore the preponderance of bad experiences and expect to "get a good one".

While it is true that you get what you pay for, even the high dollar manufacturers can produce questionable quality firearms.

But, help us help you: are you limited to semi-autos? a particular calibre? finish?
On your first point, I was just hoping to avoid the back-and-forth of good vs bad experiences with common guns (e.g. some people love Glocks and some seem to hate them). If multiple people have something bad to say about a particular gun I will definitely strongly consider it.

Not limited to semis, a calibre or finish
Old March 28, 2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK71
1) No manual safety besides the grip safety
That's one more than a Glock. It's also one less safety that you'll have to worry about. Most revolvers also have no "external, mechanical safety."
Quote:
2) The slide is a little tough and it is SA-only
Are you set on SA/DA?
Quote:
3) It seems to my unfamiliar eyes a little wide for CC but that is with zero experience carrying. I'm close to just getting a solid leather holster just to see how it feels if that is a good plan.
See if you can run down the width on that. In really doubt that it's any wider than most Glocks.

Getting a good holster and a good belt will go a long way towards making carry more comfortable.

Also consider simply getting one of the XD compact models. They're a little smaller, but will use the same manual of arms.

ETA: Remember, I don't have a dog in the fight as to what you buy or don't buy. It just strikes me that you've got a perfectly serviceable pistol right now. If it's a simple matter that you want to try something else, that's a perfectly good reason to go shopping.
Old March 28, 2013, 04:10 PM   #8
AK71

Spats, I'm glad to hear that is your opinion - you are confirming I made a reasonable choice! Honestly, only the slide bothers me and I'm hesitant to carry Condition #1 without a side manual safety only because I don't have enough experience with the gun. I have been really practicing keeping my finger on the side of the gun rather than the trigger when I grab it - and it feels very natural now. I don't want to be one of those negative gun statistics and am making sure the tool(s) I use are simply as close to ideal as I can get.

Maybe I will end up just using the XD9 for both and getting something extravagant like the STI Trojan for my birthday in seven months
Old March 28, 2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Ferretboy

AK, I have an XDm in .45, I have both an IWB and check six leather holsters by blackhawk, I have no issues carrying my gun with either one of them. Granted my CC experience is only around the home as of yet, my CCP is on its way.
Old March 28, 2013, 05:52 PM   #10
AK71

Quote:
AK, I have an XDm in .45, I have both an IWB and check six leather holsters by blackhawk, I have no issues carrying my gun with either one of them. Granted my CC experience is only around the home as of yet, my CCP is on its way.
Good to hear! I'm in the same boat and hope to get my CCP within the next couple of weeks. I will look at Blackhawk and see if something will work.
Old March 28, 2013, 06:12 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
My goal is to get a list of things I should NOT make a part of my next gun purchase option list
1) My goal is a good, reliable HD gun and an EDC.
2) I have an XD9 that works well,
Stop. You have met goal 1.

Quote:
but I have nothing to compare it to. I would be perfectly happy to make the XD my only gun but it seems less than ideal for EDC.
Why?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 28, 2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Skitter

AK,

You are I think being misled on the term of "CC Gun"

I myself picked up a .40 Stoeger Cougar which is a full frame gun. That being said I plan on using it for CC, I am only 5'8" but I like the "feel" of the full size guns, and after doing a lot of reading and spending the past 2 months in the company of these fine gents, I have realized it is easier than you would think to CC a full sized gun. Granted mine is "full frame" but only 3.75" barrel. I like the feel, it shoots better than I do, but it fits ME.

If you like the XD9, then keep with it. You really need to define WHY it doesn't seem "CC". I personally do not like the look of the XD's, and I did not have the budget for one, but they seem to be very reliable and well developed. If I had that as my only gun I would be using it to the best of my ability and be happy with it
Old March 28, 2013, 10:17 PM   #13
Koda94

Quote:
3) I'm 6'2 and don't really like subcompact guns because they feel wrong. Compacts are probably fine but might need an extended grip if my hand extends much below the bottom.
A commander sized auto might solve that problem.

Quote:
2) I have an XD9 that works well, but I have nothing to compare it to. I would be perfectly happy to make it my only gun but it seems less than ideal for EDC. And in truth I am becoming obsessed with all these great guns you guys own and want a new one!
IMO I see some value in only one EDC gun except its not practical to have only one, different situations require different dress which require different guns.... if you want to carry all the time. Since your becoming obsessed with more great guns you might consider investing in the same platform or action....

That said I do tend to favor only one for EDC, I've had the same favorite since 97 and have no plans to change.
also, FWIW if the XD9 works for you I don't think you need to compare it to anything. Master it.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:35 PM   #14
johnwilliamson062

I'm not a huge fan of the XD series, but if they work for you then I wouldn't jump at changing brands. Most holsters for the full size will work for compact, mags probably interchange, etc, etc.
Old March 29, 2013, 12:17 AM   #15
Ferretboy

I am actually looking for a decent .357 snubbie revolver for EDC, I figure most of the situations I will come across will be handled in 5 rounds of less., plus the .357 has been proven to be a one shot stopper. I doubt I will run into a situation where i will need 14 rounds of +P .45acp. Zombies arent running around in hordes yet.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:29 AM   #16
JimmyR

I am not as familiar with the XD9, but I do know it to be a quality handgun that will do its job well.

As a journeyman gun owner/collector, I finally realized that a shotgun was the best HD gun I could own. I may be speaking out of school, but a HD handgun is often considered underpowered.

Now, to cut to the meat of your posts, if you are looking for another gun, I would humbly reccomend the CZ-75B series. It's a SA/DA pistol, manual safety, and an all steel frame makes recoil negligible compared to tupperware guns . It is also a very slender gun, and, to me, makes concealing much easier. They are a little harder to find, but worth the coin. They should be under $800 new or used.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:39 AM   #17
thedudeabides

If you're bent on a 9mm, P226, M9, Hi-Power, 9mm 1911
Old March 29, 2013, 07:55 AM   #18
ClydeFrog

My advice...

I read the member topic post 2 times & I'm not 100% sure what exactly the meaning is but FWIW, I'll post a few decent suggestions for a regular concealed carry pistol.
I'd highly suggest a DA only, hammer fired design or if you feel able to shoot/carry it, a striker fired system.
I'd prefer the .357sig for regular carry. It feeds great, has a high KE level & is match grade accurate with most factory made defense loads.
The .357sig is in wide use by US police agencies like the FAMS(air marshals), US Secret Service, Texas DPS, VA state troopers, NM State Police.
The .40S&W, 9x19mm(9mm Luger) and the .45acp are fine too.
Good semi auto models to check include: the new Walther PPX, the PX4 Storm C(constant action), the HK P2000 LEM, the HK45 compact LEM, the Ruger SR40 or the SR45, the XDm full size, the SIG P229R DAK or P226R DAK. The P220R DAK would be good if you want a .45acp. The new P227R pistol may be in the DAK format but SIG may wait to roll that out. The S&W M&P line & the no frills/SD40 pistols are a solid choice. Many PDs are converting to SIGs or M&P sidearms.
Night sights(3 dot) or Novak style are worth adding. Always use factory made high quality ammunition too. No reloads or hand loads.
Tote at least one spare magazine too.
Old March 29, 2013, 08:31 AM   #19
AK71

An attempt to clarify

Clyde, sorry if my OP was somewhat convoluted. See if this summary helps:

I really want to buy another gun. There are a ton of good ones but each individual has different experiences/requirements, so opinions will vary. My goal is when I to go to my LGS or see a deal online, to be able to quickly eliminate those guns that are bad options and focus on the type of gun I should be getting. I am so new to guns, it is easy for me to fixate on a familiar brand name or type and dismiss a brand/type simply because I am unfamiliar with it.

A good example is my first trip to the LGS. I shot the XD9 in my NRA Basic class and liked it. The LGS happened to have the gun so I was ready to buy given how hard it is to get guns. A guy behind me in line recommended the CZ-75 but I had never heard of it. The LGS actually had the 75B in stock and I felt it in my hand. It was very nice but I knew nothing about what I should be looking for and still wonder if that may have been a better option.

So my goal is to better formulate my needs and then be open to any gun that fills those needs - without any bias toward a particular gun name/type. I thought it would be easier to know exactly what NOT to buy.

I hope that helps!
Old March 29, 2013, 11:14 AM   #20
Ferretboy

You cant really go wrong with the recognizable brands, most of them make quality products and back them up with warranties. Colt, Ruger, Springfield, Smith & Wesson are all good products, but I have also owned Hi-Point and never had an issue except with a magazine I purchased that didnt like the 7th round. Do you have any friends that are gun owners too? have you fired their weapons that are different than yours? Personal experience is always better than someone elses opinion, and if you do get a gun you dont like you can always trade or sell it to get something else.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:58 AM   #21
ClydeFrog

New to semi auto pistols...

If you are new or entry level with firearms. I highly suggest buying a new in box(NIB) or a LE trade-in DA only hammer-fired pistol. 9mm, .40 or the .357sig(my top choice for protection-CC).
A SIG Sauer P229R DAK(Double Action Kellerman) or the larger P226R DAK could be purchased in both .40 and/or .357sig.
Some brands also have kits or after market .22LR slides/barrels to aid training-plinking.
Spurless/stub type hammers prevent snags or jabs & carry better.
You also avoid the false/unfair claims you may have been reckless or fired in a panic in a critical event.

As posted, for a new semi auto, check out the PX4 C, the SD40 or SD9, the Walther PPX, the HK P2000 LEM or HK45 compact(LEM or Law Enforcement Modification).
See; www.sigsauer.com www.waltheramerica.com www.ruger.com www.hk-USA.com www.berettausa.com .
Old March 29, 2013, 12:06 PM   #22
sandbag

XD 9

My son has an XD 9 and it has never let him down with any ammo-and it has that nice feature of a loaded chamber indicator.
Old March 30, 2013, 08:39 AM   #23
BobNH

Go to a good large retailer, do the touchy-feelly with whatever and as many that attract you
THEN find where you can rent or test fire and shoot it/them
Then make your decision
Old April 1, 2013, 04:48 PM   #24
BigJimP

When I hear questions like this come up....my suggestion honestly, is to go to a local range that rents a number of different handguns ....and fire, as an example, every 9mm in the rental case.

What you're looking for ...is what fits your hands the best. The grip angle, can you reach all of the controls without shifting your grip, sights, thumb safety, decocker, etc.....but probably mostly the trigger....how much slack, how much creep ...how does it break ...how does it reset.

Focus on a couple of things as you fire....feel of trigger as it breaks and resets..does the gun come up from the bench level and on target....or is the nose up or down.../ elimate guns with triggers that you hate...

I'm going thru this with a buddy right now ...he's predetermined that he wants a Sig 226 ....but he has smaller hands ...and when its all said and done, I think he'll like a 1911 or maybe a Sig 239 ( single stack sig ) a lot better...../ but same thing --- for the cost of some rentals ( about $ 15 ) and a couple of boxes of ammo ( $40 ) he'll be able to eliminate 99% of the guns out there...and he may find something he likes, that I don't think he will like. I think on the Sig 226 - he might have to move his grip to reach the mag release...and I think unless he goes with a SRT trigger ..the pull on the DA/SA trigger will be too long to suit him and reset is likely to be worse...

As an example the Sig SRT - won't work for me / but may work for him.....
I can reach the mag release on the Sig 226 ...maybe he can't.....
I like the grip angle on the 226 ...don't know if he will or not.....

But it takes a while to go thru the elimination process...and maybe a 2nd or a 3rd trip to the range...
------
Since you're new to this hobby....remember there are a lot of 1911's out there as well in a 9mm..and in 4" or 5" barrels, etc....alloy frames, steel frames, etc.../ even to decide on which 1911 would involve in shooting a lot of different guns.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:19 PM   #25
oldgunsmith

A lot of perfectly good guns feel really awkward in my hands. I shoot better with the ones that don't.