The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2009, 09:54 PM   #1
ReconJohn

Good Price for Mil Brass?

There is a guy that is selling Military 5.56 NATO 1000 rds of semi-cleaned brass for $100. Im calling it semi-cleaned because its not bright and shiny but still has some junk on it. Probably just tumbled them to get most of the dirt off to check for cracks and dents. Is that worth it? He is guaranteeing no bertain primer ,major dents or cracks. So im taking that as being 1000 good reloadable pieces of brass.

Thanks for any input.

John
Old November 29, 2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Alaskee

Too High

Scharch sells fully processed brass (cleaned, trimmed, primer crimp removed) for $119.
http://www.scharch.com/products.php?cat=9
You should be able to find uncleaned military .223 for about half that on e-bay, polished for slightly more.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Hommbs

Been a while since Ebay has allowed bullets and brass to be auctioned off there. Most gun forums like this one have a classified section with tha brass going for around $60-75 per thousand.
Old November 29, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

A good price or not? I would guess that depends on whether you really need the brass and are willing to pay that much for it. I have seen it offered here on TFL forum for less than that.
I have overpaid for primers But I needed them and wanted them and had no more in stock.
I have overpaid for bullets, same reason as above. If you can afford the asking price and you trust the seller and you want them, then they are a good price.
If you do not need them and are willing to wait for a better deal to come along, then they are not such a great deal.

A formula that my buddy uses to buy used brass is:

Used brass price: $xx.xx per 1000

Scrap brass price: $xx.xx
How many cartridges does it take to make one pound of scrap brass:

New brass price: $xx.xx

Because the scrap metal market is always changing, he may pay less for the same type of brass that two months ago cost much more.

Just something to think about.
Old November 29, 2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Alaskee

Not ebay

Sorry, when I wrote ebay, I meant Gunbroker.com. I've purchased several thousand .223 recently and paid between $40 for mixed headstamps to $67 per thousand for fully processed Lake City plus shipping. Other auctions are quite a bit more but aren't receiving any bids. If you wait and watch, deals can be had.
Old November 29, 2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Farmland

The only thing I will add you may want to buy used brass that does not have a military crimp for the primer. Processing 1,000 pieces of brass with a military crimp can add extra work and can be a royal pain. Of course you can buy a Dillon or another tool to remove the crimp but still in the short run it is more work. I went through over a 1,000 rounds the hard way using a RCBS tool on my press to remove the military crimp. It just added a lot more time to processing the brass, something I really didn't like doing.