The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2004, 12:36 PM   #1
chuhka

Benelli Nova Tactical

I'm a beginner and I'm thinking about getting a 12g Benelli Nova with the 18.5" barrel. It is intended as a home defense gun and I will mostly be shooting 2.75" slugs at the range. I have shot a Rem 870 and a Moss 500 (I like the Rem better). I only weigh 135 lbs so they threw me around a bit. I shot about 20 #6 buck and 2 #1 buck and I could tell that if I shot the same number of slugs my shoulder would be in pain. How does the recoil of the Benelli compare? Is there anything out there that would soften the punch? Does the mercury recoil reducer help stabilize the barrel (for better aim)?
I'd like to hear all your experiences with the Nova as I'm not yet sure it's the right gun for my needs.
Thanks
Old December 20, 2004, 11:08 PM   #2
doubleaes2

have you tried some of the managed or reduced recoil loads?
Old December 29, 2004, 09:42 PM   #3
norielX

I've tried writing this three times, the net gremlins keep eating it....

I've owned the ghost-ringed Nova Special purpose for almost three years now. Here's what I like about it:

Polymer - weather resistant, and if you scratch it, oh well. It's a tool, not an heirloom.

Ghost ring sights - I like these, some people may not, but at this price point, it's a good value.

Easy to unload - just keep one of the tabs pushed down, and a shell pops out. No need to rack the slide.

magazine cutoff - great for hunting, but my best use for it is the ability to throw in a different shell (slug or buck) at any time for quick port loading.

3 1/2" shell capability - while I may not be shooting many of these, it's nice to know you can get 10 guage power. As an added bonus, the larger port makes tactical port loading easier.

Recoil reducer - if you're shooting some stiff loads, this'll help out.

Wide recoil pad - it helps spread out the recoil and it's also slightly angled at the top to allow easier shouldering.

Here are my dislikes:

Inability to adjust stock LOP - if you need a shorter LOP, then you may be out of luck. The integrated stock limits this capability.

Rattling forend - this is an annoyance. It can also lead to your position being compromised.

No removeable choke - I wish I had the ability to use something other than a cylinder choke, but at this barrel length, most other makers use cylinder as well.

I like this gun a lot and it fits in my collection of 870's because the controls are in similar locations, except for the safety being mounted on the front of the trigger guard. Like all guns, try before you buy (if you can).