The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2014, 07:35 PM   #1
8MM Mauser

New Shotgun!

It's a Weatherby PA-08. Controls like an 870; but much smoother to operate and a better fit for my shoulder. Plus it's got nice checkered wood stocks! The finish is a little glossier than I might like; and it will probably get some wear, but that's ok.

This gun accepts screw in chokes. It is my first shotgun with screw in chokes so I don't know much about them, but I plan to take it out soon and pattern the gun with different loads and chokes to see what it can do. Honestly this gun is very different in looks and purpose than most of my guns.

I know it's no Perazzi, but I am hoping it will get me better scores shooting trap with the old man too.

Old September 23, 2014, 07:51 PM   #2
MarkCO

They are very nice shotguns.

If you are adventurous, you can dull up the gloss of the finish. Wet sandpaper will do it and get you a Satin type of finish. There are also some treatments that will knock out the luster.
Old September 24, 2014, 04:08 AM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
I know it's no Perazzi, but I am hoping it will get me better scores shooting trap with the old man too.
Typically, a new gun will bring higher scores. It can be a viscous circle: your scores go us, so the old man gets a new gun and his scores go up, then you get another new gun and before you know it you'll both be shooting Perazzis.
Old September 24, 2014, 05:18 AM   #4
Virginian

When I was playing golf, I would always do better with a borrowed or a trial driver. Soon as I bought it, it was garbage. Fortunately, that has not proven to be the case with shotguns. However, MANY thousands of dollars later, I still have never shot anything any better than I shot a 1974 Wingmaster.
Old September 24, 2014, 11:06 AM   #5
8MM Mauser

Quote:
Typically, a new gun will bring higher scores. It can be a viscous circle: your scores go us, so the old man gets a new gun and his scores go up, then you get another new gun and before you know it you'll both be shooting Perazzis.
Ha! And to think we started out with a 50 year old Stevens and a Mossberg 500.

In truth I would love to have a truly "fine" O/U someday; but that'll be a Browning Citori realistically.

That said; I certainly wouldn't complain.

The very same old man is getting his first non-22 rifle this weekend and hunting for the first time in almost 30 years; so we'll have to make a range trip soon. May as well make a day of it and bring the shotguns, rifles and pistols.
Old September 24, 2014, 01:28 PM   #6
SPEMack618

I like the Weatherby, unique pump guns have always interested me.

Its a tad aggravating that even with a Remington 1100, a first generation Ruger Red Label, and a Beretta 686, a Belgium Browning A-5 I shoot the best a Winchester 1400.

Pop has a Perazzi, a couple of Berettas, and a Wingmaster of late 70s vintage.

He shoots his best with either an Ithaca Featherweight or a Winchester Model 25.
Old September 24, 2014, 05:40 PM   #7
Virginian

I have a buddy who is quite a shot at skeet and trap, and an O/U lover, and he has one of I believe 4 sets of Krieghoff Royal Crown Grades in four gauges. He shoots a Winchester 101 better, and he finally gave up on O/Us in a blind and is still shooting the 11-87 I sold him in the blind in 1987 for all his waterfowl hunting. Whatever works.
Old September 24, 2014, 07:04 PM   #8
8MM Mauser

An 11-87 huh? Nice.

A friend of mine bought one of those in a mossy oak finish at the last gunshow I attended. He still hasn't let me fire it.
Old September 26, 2014, 12:42 PM   #9
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8MM Mauser
He still hasn't let me fire it.
Probably because he's afraid you won't give it back.

My 20ga 1100 has basically become my little sisters for that very same reason.

Last edited by SPEMack618; September 26, 2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old September 28, 2014, 07:30 AM   #10
8MM Mauser

Haha! Yeah I probably wouldn't want to!
Old October 12, 2014, 07:56 PM   #11
8MM Mauser

Patterned and shot the gun today at some clays thrown with a throwing arm. It did very well and it was sort of novel for me to make suitable patterns out to 40 yards with the full choke in: even shooting crap ammo.

I did best the old man today by the way. But I couldn't run it in because he had a pretty serious malfunction with the rifle he was planning to hunt with in November.

I would like to shoot the gun with some heavier shot and see how it does; I might consider hunting turkey next spring.