The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2014, 10:08 AM   #76
Hurryin' Hoosier

gyvel: "My only problem with my CZ 75 Compact that I bought back in the 90s was the dual spring recoil spring assembly ... "

Really? I don't believe that I've ever seen one of those.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:17 AM   #77
1hogfan83

If you want a lightweight slicked up cz I would go with Cajun gun works. Often times you can buy a PCR, the alloy version of the compact. Go to their website and get the full details. They already have the gun and David, the owner, will make you what ever you want. It really is the ultimate carry piece, if your a CZ freak. He also makes semi custom P-07's for a little less.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old August 16, 2014, 11:41 AM   #78
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa D
. . . . I live in Arkansas, BTW, so I understand good ol' Southern Summers a little.
Well, heck, Papa D! Why didn't you say so? Arkansas Armory, out in Jacksonville, has a pretty good rental selection. Don's Weaponry out in NLR also rents guns, but I don't know what they've got. You might give one of them a call and see what you can rent.
Old August 16, 2014, 05:17 PM   #79
Pond, James Pond

Had a G19. Sold the G19. Bought a CZ. Never held a Beretta.

Mine is actually a full size SP-01, but the grip and internals I believe are the same as the compact.

I wouldn't be upset if someone said I had to go back to the G19, but I do prefer the ergos of the CZ and for that reason I'd recommend that model. Also, where I live it is far cheaper than either of the other two.
Old August 16, 2014, 05:32 PM   #80
TunnelRat

Quote:
Also, where I live it is far cheaper than either of the other two
Could you maybe elaborate on that a bit? How common is CZ where you live? In the US they can be tricky to find at local stores, though a number of online retailers try to stock them regularly.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 17, 2014, 03:26 AM   #81
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Could you maybe elaborate on that a bit?
Of the gun shops that I know only a few are official dealers of a particular brand, namely Glock and CZ.

The Gen 4 Glock 19 is about €670 new, where as the CZ 75 Compact is about €100 cheaper. For less than the G19 price I could buy a CZ 97, 85, 83, P07 etc.

Only the Stainless Steel models and the SP-01s are more.

Now, I can also find new Sigs and HKs and Berettas, but they would all be very expensive. The cheapest would cost as much as my SP-01 which was a big self-present for my last birthday at €750.

All this also means that CZ parts are readily available on the shelves as are Glock bits, although aftermarket accessories are thin on the ground.

I'm not mad about Sig or HK so the status quo here suits me well even if prices as a whole are pretty high relative to the US.
Old August 17, 2014, 09:19 PM   #82
insomni

I think the CZ is sexier than the Glock, but I'd take either in a heartbeat over the M9. I hate that pistol.
Old August 18, 2014, 08:36 PM   #83
Jaywalker

I own both the Glock G19 and the CZ75 Pcr, and have owned a Beretta 92 Compact, but have sold the Beretta.

The G19's trigger was bad when I got it, but cost only about $140 to make it great - a Glocktrigger's Guardian trigger kit that could be installed easily, locally.

The CZ Pcr feels great, but it really needs some gunsmith attention. At the present time I'm trying to decide whether to do that or to sell it. The trigger reach, even with the piece at half-cock, is pretty long; Cajun Gun Works sells a Reach Reduction Kit, and it could really use it.

The trigger is pretty gritty, and that could use some looking at, too. Figure $200, plus shipping, if necessary, or shoot it a thousand times to clean it up - that's not free, either.

Both need sight replacements. The Glock has plastic "dovetail protectors" in place, but are pretty good, if vulnerable to damage. With the Pcr's sights I just cannot get a sight picture due to being unable to see daylight around the front sight.

I think the CZ has plenty of promise, but would need more $ to get it to to the promised land than the Glock. The Glock would also likely be easier to sell if you decide you'd made a mistake with it, and cheaper to use - magazine, parts, etc. For one pistol, I'd choose the Glock, though if I could have two of them, or could afford more bucks, the Glock wouldn't be one of them - it'd be a Browning HiPower and a J-frame, FWIW.

Last edited by Jaywalker; August 18, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old August 18, 2014, 09:31 PM   #84
Cyanide971

Jaywalker, like you said in a roundabout way, just live fire and dry fire the heck outta your CZ ; the trigger smooths out drastically with use.

I had the same issue with my Tanfoglio and Sarsilmaz clones and they've gotten much better (though still no match for the Omega trigger in my P-07).

YMMV
Old August 20, 2014, 08:07 AM   #85
Pilot

Both my PCR, and 75B triggers were excellent out of the box, and only have become better with use. The PCR is especially lighter, and a bit crisper than the 75B. The hammer spring (mainspring) on the PCR feels much lighter in weight.
Old August 20, 2014, 08:43 AM   #86
sigpro2340

I've had both the CZ 75B in all stainless, and the CZ P-01 compact. Both were very fine pistols. The P-01 was my very first 9mm pistol, and I have to admit, it does carry rather well.
But you must also remember, that it is an all steel pistol, so it's not the lightest option for all day carry.

Although intrigued by The Beretta, I never really pulled the string and purchased one. Mainly due to the fact I prefer compact pistols that are a bit more "carry worthy".

So, when I think of an "all-around, do everything gun", the first thought that comes to my mind is .... Glock.

I currently have two, the 19 and 23, both Gen 4's.

Your opinions may vary ...
Old August 20, 2014, 09:12 AM   #87
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpro2340
...The P-01 was my very first 9mm pistol, and I have to admit, it does carry rather well. But you must also remember, that it is an all steel pistol, so it's not the lightest option for all day carry.
Note: the P-01 has a steel slide but a forged alloy frame. That model is NOT all steel. The CZ Compact, which is similar, is the only steel-framed compact CZ.

There is a new P-02, which has the P-01 alloy frame, but has a safety in place of the decocker.
Old August 20, 2014, 09:57 AM   #88
sigpro2340

Yes, that is correct, but alloy is still considered a type of steel.

Point being that polymer is lighter vs. any type of steel when carried for extended periods of time in a holster.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435501
Old August 20, 2014, 10:19 AM   #89
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpro2340 View Post
Yes, that is correct, but alloy is still considered a type of steel.

Point being that polymer is lighter vs. any type of steel when carried for extended periods of time in a holster.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435501
I am sorry but an alloy is a combination of metals, not a type of steel. In fact steel itself is an alloy, not the other way around. They are both metals.

It may seem like nit picking but CZ offers pistols with either steel or what is to my knowledge an aluminum alloy frame. I agree that they are both heavier than polymer. But one is heavier than the other.
Old August 20, 2014, 11:00 AM   #90
Pilot

Both the PCR, and P-01 have an aluminum alloy frame. FWIW so does the 92FS/M9, Sig P226/229/228, etc.
Old August 20, 2014, 12:02 PM   #91
Walt Sherrill

As noted above, the CZs alloy-framed guns are primarily aluminum and they (the CZ compact with alloy frames) are NEVER considered steel. Nor are the Beretta 92 and the SIGs cited.

There are steel alloys, and that may be why sigpro2340 felt the CZ alloy-framed guns were steel.

In the case of steel alloys, other ingredients are added to iron and carbon to give the steel different characteristics -- but the material remains primarily steel. In the case of the CZ non-steel frames, the material remains primarily aluminum.

There is a noticeable difference in weight, which as noted, can make a difference if you carry all day. The difference between the CZ P-01 and the Glock 19 is 5 oz. That doesn't seem like much, but it can be noticeable. (Ammo in the gun makes a difference too, and the larger capacity of these guns adds WEIGHT, that becomes apparent as the day stretches on.)

The PCR weighs 27 ounces.
The P-01 weighs 28 ounces.
The (steel) Compact weight 32 ounces.

The Glock 19 weighs 23 ounces (Gen 4)
The Glock 17 weights 25 ounces. (Gen 4)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM.