The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 17, 2013, 04:57 PM   #351
Skadoosh

Quote:
Obama just claimed that this is "only round one".
That is the sound of Obama and the democrats tree falling down in the woods.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:00 PM   #352
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
Quote:
Obama just claimed that this is "only round one".
That is the sound of Obama and the democrats tree falling down in the woods.
Agreed. I wonder how this recent turn of events will affect the current ammo/firearms market. Maybe things will return to a slight sense of normalcy at a quicker pace. I don't think prices will ever be the same, but hopefully the actions of our senate today will be reflected in the market.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 17, 2013, 05:07 PM   #353
I'vebeenduped

Does anyone have the info of how the AZ Senators McCain and Flake voted?

David

Sorry, too soon a post. McCain voted the way I thought he would and Flake made me a happy boy!
Old April 17, 2013, 05:09 PM   #354
Bartholomew Roberts

Looks like Reid may pull S.649 with no final vote tomorrow. The bill will just sit on the legislative calendar to await return.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:10 PM   #355
Spats McGee
Staff

Roll call of votes isn't available yet. You can check here for when it becomes available.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:11 PM   #356
led0321

Re: S.649: Reid's Base Gun Control Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHE3PDOG View Post
Obama just claimed that this is "only round one". Don't relent. Let your senators know that you appreciate their "nay" votes, and try to vote out the rest.
The more he talks like this the worse 2014 will be for him
Old April 17, 2013, 05:13 PM   #357
Tom Servo
Staff

Interesting that the Cornyn amendment (nationwide CCW reciprocity) got a 57-43 vote.

Here's the tally for the Manchin amendment.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:15 PM   #358
Gaerek

I thought the same thing Tom...I wonder how well a stand alone Nationwide Reciprocity bill would do?

Quote:
orry, too soon a post. McCain voted the way I thought he would and Flake made me a happy boy!
And this is why primary elections are so important...if McCain even runs again. I won't vote for him unless I absolutely have to.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:17 PM   #359
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
Interesting that the Cornyn amendment (nationwide CCW reciprocity) got a 57-43 vote.
Ya, must have some pretty sweet footnotes in it; I can't think of any other reason it would be so close to the tipping point.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 17, 2013, 05:26 PM   #360
budoboy

So in a democrat majority held Senate, they couldn't even get a simple majority on the AWB or magazine capacity. What does that tell you?
Old April 17, 2013, 05:29 PM   #361
Webleymkv

Quote:
So in a democrat majority held Senate, they couldn't even get a simple majority on the AWB or magazine capacity. What does that tell you?
It tells me that a lot of Democrat Senators remember 1994 and don't want to become Democrat Ex-Senators anytime soon.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:32 PM   #362
Bartholomew Roberts

Current status: There were votes on 7 amendments to S.649 today. All required 60 votes to pass. All amendments (pro and anti) failed. The AWB and mag bans failed to achieve even 50 votes. The remaining amendments in the schedule below will not be voted on today. They may receive a vote tomorrow if Reid does not pull the bill without a vote and leave it to sit on the Senate calendar.

Manchin-Toomey amendment #715. Failed 54-46

Grassley substitute amendment consistent with the summary which is at the desk; Failed 52-48

Leahy-Collins amendment #713 (trafficking) Failed 58-42

Cornyn amendment #719 (conceal carry) Failed 57-43

Feinstein amendment #711 (assault weapons/clip bans) Failed 40-60

Burr amendment #720 (veterans/guns) Failed 56-44

Lautenberg-Blumenthal amendment #714 (high capacity clip ban) Failed 46-54

Barrasso amendment #717 (privacy) Passed 67-30

Harkin-Alexander amendment relative to mental health Passed 95-2

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; April 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:33 PM   #363
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
That the voice of the people were heard and they will be held accountable election day

Awesome to see the level of support from the people. I'll sleep good tonight, but tomorrows another day!
Old April 17, 2013, 05:34 PM   #364
Tom Servo
Staff

Folks, let's take a close look at those numbers and just how slim the margins really were in some cases.

The anti-gun momentum has stalled, but this isn't over.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:39 PM   #365
tulsamal

Quote:
The anti-gun momentum has stalled, but this isn't over.
That's true but.... go back to the media reports in January. The totally 100% confident claims that we would see gun control in place by the end of the month. Then the end of the next month. The claims that this had "bipartisan support." For months this wasn't portrayed as something in doubt... just what would be passed. Even people here have said "something will pass."

Didn't happen.

Gregg
Old April 17, 2013, 05:43 PM   #366
Ruthless4christ

cant stop grinning, I just went outside and gave 3 of my neighbors free beers.
Please call any of your senators who voted against this and encourage them, letting them know their loyalty is appreciated.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:46 PM   #367
led0321

Re: S.649: Reid's Base Gun Control Bill

I can't stop smiling either
Old April 17, 2013, 05:51 PM   #368
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
he totally 100% confident claims that we would see gun control in place by the end of the month.
Yep. It's amazing how it went from that to "this deserves a vote...please?"

Still, we're going to be seeing a lot of sneakiness with amendments, and if we have another high-profile shooting, it's back to the drawing board.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:51 PM   #369
JimDandy

Also, these are amendments. The original bill is still on the floor. If Manchin-Toomey fails, but Schumer alone succeeds, we're going to REALLY regret cheering.
Old April 17, 2013, 05:56 PM   #370
Tom Servo
Staff

Actually, the Toomey/Manchin amendment was about the only thing that could have given the bill a chance at passage. Without it, we've just got Schumer's draconian Fix Gun Checks bill.

I just got this nastygram from the Brady Campaign:

Quote:
Minutes ago, the U.S. Senate voted down the Manchin-Toomey amendment, which would have expanded criminal background checks to prevent gun violence and save lives.

This is an insult to the 90 people killed by gun violence every day and the nine-in-ten Americans who support expanded background checks.

The Senate failed to pass something that would undoubtedly make our nation safer. But the fight does not end here.
They go on to list the phone numbers of Senators who voted "nay" on the amendment. They are going to go hard at Baucus, Heitkamp, and Begich. Now would be a good time to contact those folks and let them know how much we appreciate them sticking their necks on the line for us.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:01 PM   #371
JimDandy

Quote:
Without it, we've just got Schumer's draconian Fix Gun Checks bill.
That's my point. 6 Senators flip now that Toomey-Manchin is gone, and Schumer's Fix Gun Checks Act is what we get. It's still early to celebrate.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:08 PM   #372
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
This is an insult to the 90 people killed by gun violence every day and the nine-in-ten Americans who support expanded background checks.
As always he takes the expanded background check support out of context , Stretches the numbers and in my view political spins it beyond spinning.

For those of us celebrating, we know the truth and so do the ones who voted for us today.

We want less crime as much as the next and we actually do more for making Americans safe than those bills would have by exercising old number 2.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:16 PM   #373
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
That's my point. 6 Senators flip now that Toomey-Manchin is gone, and Schumer's Fix Gun Checks Act is what we get. It's still early to celebrate.
The last estimate I read was that Sen. Schumer's original bill might get 40 votes; this is why they came up with Toomey-Manchin in the first place; so it would take a lot more than 6 Senators. And it seems to be a virtual certainty that Sen. Reid will withdraw that bill rather than allow it to be defeated. (By doing so, he can bring it up again later, should he see an opportunity.)

So it's not too early to celebrate a largely defensive victory.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 17, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:19 PM   #374
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The last estimate I read was that Sen. Schumer's original bill might get 40 votes; this is why they came up with Toomey-Manchin in the first place
Yep. If they couldn't get 60 votes with the amendment, there's no way they're getting it without.

Bloomberg, Biden, Feinstein, and the President are absolutely melting down right now. I have to admit feeling a certain bit of schadenfreude about the whole thing.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:26 PM   #375
BarryLee

Quote:
Bloomberg, Biden, Feinstein, and the President are absolutely melting down right now. I have to admit feeling a certain bit of schadenfreude about the whole thing.
Yes, I suppose we can take a moment to back slap and “figuratively” fire some celebratory volleys in the air. However, we would do well not to underestimate Mr. Obama regardless of what you may feel about him he is an excellent Politician. We need to prepare for at least three more years of this and I’m afraid the propaganda will be endless.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman