The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 10:20 PM   #26
TennJed

What kind of cost are you looking at for a replacement barrel for a glock 19? Also what kind of money could you sell a new unshot factory 19 barrel for?

I just picked up a new g4 19 and I shoot 100% lead reloads in my other guns. The plan was to start reloading plated bullets just for the glock. If I can "trade" for an aftermarket barrel without being out much money I may do that
Old January 12, 2013, 10:38 PM   #27
Xfire68

Quote:
What kind of cost are you looking at for a replacement barrel for a glock 19?
From what i have seen looking for a aftermarket barrel for my Gen 3 G20 was a lonewolf barrel is about $110-$125. Storm Lake $160-$230. Bar-Sto around $200 depending on model. KKM around $250.

Selling your stock barrel can bring good money depending on model. I will say $120-$200
Old January 13, 2013, 04:39 AM   #28
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
What kind of cost are you looking at for a replacement barrel for a glock 19?
Also what kind of money could you sell a new unshot factory 19 barrel for?
Well, that is where it gets a teeny bit complicated!

Seeing as I live in Estonia, we need to factor in the export/import and carriage charges not to mentioin the exchange rate and any overheads for the shop getting the barrel for me.

Presently, the only barrel I have seen that would fit my needs (and I've only seen a handful) is the threaded, land and groove Lone Wolf barrel for a G19.
It was about €150, or approx €110. You'd have to add about $40 for carriage, so $190 total, then import tax at %20, so another $38 or so, and finally we'd need to consider any profits/cost covering for the shop doing the importing (A licenced firearms service provider must apply for the import licence for an "essential part" such as a barrel: I can't do it as a private citizen).

Sooo, as a rough guess, that would make a $150 barrel from Lone Wolf finally come to about $250/€190-ish.

As for the sale of a barrel, no idea: I am not sure if I could even sell it. I've never seen a barrel for sale in the private ads. There doesn't seem to be much of a market...

I would like that barrel, but I would really need to have justification.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:35 AM   #29
lee n. field

Why, by the way, do you need a threaded barrel?

If you get the Lone Wolf barrel, you'll probably want to get a Lee factory crimp die as well.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 13, 2013, 10:38 AM   #30
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Why, by the way, do you need a threaded barrel?
Simply because if I were to get a replacement barrel, I'd take the opportunity to buy one I can fit with a silencer (yes, I know, it is a suppressor!)

For all the numerous restrictions that may exist for this and the other in the architecture of Estonia's weapons act, it does allow me (as a sports shooter) to buy silencers without any additional hoops or costs, as well as things such as those chassis where you can slot a G17 into a stock-and-rail type assembly to make a small stocked carbine from it.

Incidentally, I don't reload for 9mm. It comes out far cheaper to just buy factory ammo than to load my own.

If ever costs started to rise I would be happy to sptart though, and I am tempted to get the dies on the off chance it comes to that. Either way, I've been perfectly happy with my Lee deluxe dies so far, and therefore a Lee FCD would definitely be part of the package.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:17 PM   #31
lee n. field

Quote:
For all the numerous restrictions that may exist for this and the other in the architecture of Estonia's weapons act, it does allow me (as a sports shooter) to buy silencers without any additional hoops or costs,
Which is quite different from the situation in the US. Here, one needs a special (federal) license, and there's a $200 fee tax, per device. Not all states allow them. Back when that law was made (National Firearms Act of 1934) they had the notion that silencers (among other things regulated by NFA34) were favored tools of criminals.

Quote:
Incidentally, I don't reload for 9mm. It comes out far cheaper to just buy factory ammo than to load my own.
Whereas I both hand cast and hand load the majority of what I shoot. The Lone Wolf's chamber is known to be tighter than Glock's. That's one of the reasons people buy them, after all. I found that a significant fraction of my handloaded cartridges wouldn't chamber easily. The Lee FCD fixed that problem.

So, something to keep in mind. Factory loaded ammo shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, I acquired a Lee Classic Turret a couple weeks ago. I like that press!
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; January 13, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:26 PM   #32
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
BTW, I acquired a Lee Classic Turret a couple weeks ago. I like that press!
Agreed.
The only bit of Lee kit I have that I have not completely warmed to is the Auto-disk.
The rest (and that is all of it, bar a sonic clearner and digital scales by Hornady) has been great!!

I had gone back to batch loading when I had to resort to measuring out charges, but now that I've picked up some old .223 and 7.62x39 cases and made dippers, I may go back to the turret method!

Anyway, back on topic!!