The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Dragline45

Sig 232 .380 Bullet Setback

I just got a Sig 232 stainless and noticed that the Speer Gold Dots after a few chamberings are having noticeable bullet setback. I know bullet setback is inevitable but it seems to be happening quicker than most other pistols I have owned, maybe because the Sig 232 is blowback? Could it possibly be the ammo and should I look for rounds with a crimp like the Hydrashocks. The gun functions fine but I was wondering if this was just the nature of the gun or something I should have Sig take a look at. Also I typically shoot the rounds that get chambered repeatedly at the range for practice, would it be safe to shoot these setback rounds? I was thinking it should be OK since the .380 Gold Dot isn't a high pressure round to begin with and the 232 is a pretty big and solid .380 being all stainless.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:27 PM   #2
ShotPlacement

I have the same problem with mine. I use Golden Sabers. I seem to have solved the problem by cambering the first round lightly instead of just letting the spring force the pistol into battery.

My 232 is the most accurate pistol I own and I'm not parting with it. I get ridiculed sometimes by my friends because it's a 380 but funny thing is none of them ever volunteer to stand in front of it!

~Regards~
Old November 18, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Dragline45

I'll try the golden saber's thanks, I used to have a PPK and they always worked flawlessly.

I'm in the same boat, a couple of my buddies were on my back because I carry a .380, but I have yet to find a 9mm in the 232's size and quality that shoots so well yet carries so easily. The 232 is most def. a keeper.
Old November 18, 2012, 06:34 PM   #4
gwnorth

I guess I've not noticed it as I do not repeatedly rechamber rounds. After I shoot my 232 at the range, I clean and lube it. Then load it, chamber a round and decock it and that's how it stays until the next time I take it to the range. If not with me it is in the gun safe but I do not unload it as I see no point in doing that (I don't do that with any of my guns).

The spring is pretty heavy as it is blowback, so it is going to chamber a round with a pretty solid wack.