The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
valleyforge.1777

Hearing protection for shooting rifles and shotguns

For years, I have used a set of Peltor electronic ear muffs for hearing protection when shooting. I do not know the decibel noise reduction afforded by the muffs, but it is pretty low. A friend of mine has a newer set of Peltor tactical sport electronic ear muffs and they are about 20 dB of noise reduction. Both of us have noticed that our muffs do not provide enough noise reduction when we are at the range with AR's being shot next to us (nothing against AR's; we own and shoot them, too). And, we have noticed that the muffs seem to be interfering with getting a good cheek position on the stock for aiming rifles and shotguns.

Any suggestions on electronic muffs that are more in the range of 28-33 dB noise reduction and which do not interfere with rifle and shotgun aiming/shooting?

Specifically, has anyone used the Pro Ears Pro Tac Plus Gold Slim Medium Profile NRR 28 Headset?

I can spend up to about $300 on a set of good ear muffs. I can't afford the $500+ ones.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Discern

I always wear doubles (ear plugs and ear muffs) at the range. Pretty much any type of ear muffs can interfere with a rifle or long gun, but some interfere less than others.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:01 AM   #3
dmazur

I have the Pro Ears Pro 200's and they don't interfere with cheek weld for me.

I use these with earplugs to get the NRR where I want. They have the same high-quality muffs as the more expensive Pro Ears, and the same easy-to-change batteries.

Sorry, I don't use the specific model you're asking about.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4
woody wood

waiting to see some more post's,as my wife states wanting better ear muff protection.with her short arms,slim is better to get cheek rest.
Old March 13, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
That'll Do

I almost exclusively shoot ARs when it comes to rifles. I use MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro-X electronic ear pro. The profile of the MSA/Sordin muffs is low profile enough that it does not interfere with the butt stock of a rifle, at least in my experience. Here's where I purchased mine: http://www.srstactical.com/communica...x/75302*x.html

In addition to fitting well, I've found that they provide sufficient noise reduction (they're marked as providing an 18dB reduction), while not blocking non-harmful levels of noise.

Just remember that ear muffs (electronic or otherwise) typically don't provide as much noise reduction as ear plugs. If I truly need addition noise protection, I'll wear plugs and muffs, but that is not a common occurrence.
Old March 13, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
pturner67

I don't use muffs...not needed with instamolds...I shoot indoors with AR, shotgun, and 9mm and have no issues

http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php

a local rep will come to you and make the molds right there
Old March 13, 2012, 06:06 PM   #7
beex215

i use plugs and muff at the same time. i regret not doing it one time. shotguns are hella loud

http://www.youtube.com/user/beehasagun1?feature=mhee
Old March 13, 2012, 06:34 PM   #8
SIGSHR

Plugs and muffs are standard for me. On an uncovered range, and if I am the only shooter, I can often get by with just earplugs, especially when I pace my shots. On a covered range, or with other shooters present, double protection.
Old March 13, 2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Live Free

I too have started wearing ear plugs as well as muffs (especially at indoor ranges). I use molded plugs made for my ears and then fairly inexpensive earmuffs.
Old March 13, 2012, 11:13 PM   #10
arizona98tj

If a person does a little research, they will find that none of electronic muffs provide enough dB reduction to drop gun shots to a safe level (well, maybe expect for .22LR and similar). Typically they provide 18 dB as one person stated or maybe as much as 25 dB.

I'm now working on 57 and always double up...foam plugs and muffs. My regret is not doing it long ago. Can't say it often (or loud) enough for some folks, it seems. Good luck on what ever you decide to use....I just hope it is sufficient for your needs. You'll find out when you are my age.

Last edited by arizona98tj; March 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old March 13, 2012, 11:56 PM   #11
dmazur

Added note -

I know it sound silly, but I turn up the volume on the muffs so I can hear range commands through the earplugs.

Without earplugs, the model I have creates quite a bit of increase in volume of normal sounds, with the volume turned up all the way. (I believe some LEO's and hunters want this...)

I recommend this practice. Double protection and you can still hear what is going on in between shots.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:02 AM   #12
black mamba

Foam plugs plus muffs. Makes even shooting 416 Remington very reasonable.
Old March 14, 2012, 03:37 PM   #13
TriumphGuy

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97079-C...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

These aren't the most comfortable things in the world, but they also dampen the noise nicely and allow you to hear your shooting buddies when they ask you to hold their beer.

They're usually good enough unless you're on a crowded range. I usually avoid those.
Old March 15, 2012, 11:14 AM   #14
L_Killkenny

Someon correct me if I'm wrong but isn't sound doubled for every 10db? 130 twice as loud as 120 and so on? If I'm correct that makes a 20 db reduction 1/3 the sound level.

LK
Old March 15, 2012, 12:58 PM   #15
Mike38

Sound energy doubles every 3 dB.
Old March 15, 2012, 01:04 PM   #16
johnbt

"If a person does a little research, they will find that none of electronic muffs provide enough dB reduction to drop gun shots to a safe level "

I did the research and that is not what I found. I bought Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold NRR 33 muffs and they work, but they're expensive. They're even better with foam plugs under them. I've worn plugs under muffs for so many decades it's just habit.

john
Old March 15, 2012, 03:00 PM   #17
NWPilgrim

I wear the Peltor Tac 7s with a NRR of 26. About $150. Shooting mostly pistol and .223 and .30-06. This is all outdoor.

If I am under a roof at a range or shooting something louder, then I double up with plugs, or use my non-electronic Peltor NRR 33 muffs.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 15, 2012, 03:55 PM   #18
emcon5

All together now:

cumulative and irreversible.

Double up, muffs plus plugs.
Old March 15, 2012, 04:23 PM   #19
pturner67

I think I will start doubling up.

Problem is that shooting my AR with muffs knocks the muffs off a little. It gets irritating, but probably not as irritating as hearing loss.

They need to make an ear plug with the same level of protection you'd get by doubling up. I'm surprised they haven't come up with a solution. Or, is it not possible due to the physiology of the ear/ear canal?
Old March 15, 2012, 04:25 PM   #20
the rifleer

It really depends on the quality of the ear muffs. I had a cheap pair that SUCKED. My ears hurt after shooting with them. Then I also have another pair, which i don't even know where they came from or who makes them, but they are great. They just say "ear" on the side.

Get good ones and they are fine.
Old March 15, 2012, 05:07 PM   #21
Mrgunsngear

I wear plugs and muffs too if I'm under a cover or indoors. If I'm in an open area, it's generally one or the other. If I'm shooting shotguns---double up always. I get my hearing tested every year at work and I'm always in the top 5% and I'd like it to stay that way!
Old March 15, 2012, 05:29 PM   #22
SIGSHR

You will absorb some sound through your skull and the rest of your body, all hearing protection can do at present is reduce the noise to a comfortable and tolerable level.
Old March 15, 2012, 05:42 PM   #23
m&p45acp10+1

I like the in the canal ear plugs with the string. They are very effective, and light weight. Also easy to remove during a cease fire. They cost less than $3. If it is super loud like shooting super duper loud boomers I will also use a pair of muffs. The $20 some odd dollar non electronic ones work better for me than the electronic ones. Without my hearing aids I can not make heads or tails of what someone is saying anyway.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:54 PM   #24
Creek Henry

I also double up at the range but in the field bird hunting, I put in soft plugs very loosely. I have found that anything else gets irritating after a few hours and I sometimes spend all day in the field for 3 days in a row. Also, if you are the only shooter around and firing a shotgun, that's all you need. And, at age 45, I still hear better than just about anyone else. It's annoying really but probably better than having a really keen sense of smell which sounds intolerable.
Old March 15, 2012, 11:02 PM   #25
TriumphGuy

That would definately be intolerable if you were near me at a campfire after a dinner of beans and Yuengling.