The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Mike38

Pulled bullet found with new?

This past summer I bought 500 pieces of Priv Partisan .224 55 grain FMJ bullets to load for some inexpensive .223 blasting ammo. I just got done loading the 500 and in the last bag of 100, I noticed one bullet was discolored and a bit darker from the crimp groove to the point. Upon closer examination, I noticed tiny scratch lines from the crimp groove to the base. The only thing I can figure is I got a pulled bullet in with new ones? I actually found it comical. My box of 500 was actually something like 504 pieces, so having one non-new really doesn’t make a bit of difference. Has anyone ever found such a thing?
Old November 20, 2011, 05:49 PM   #2
briandg

some times ammunition that fails to pass inspection or for other reasons is sold for salvage only. Bullets are pulled and resold. cases are either recycled or maybe resold, or even reloaded, and the powder is incinerated.
Old November 20, 2011, 08:01 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Many sellers of bulk materials use what is called a counting scale. the scale weighs the first item and the scale is set for the quanity. When weighing out your order the operator just added a few extra bullets to make sure you were not shorted and recieved less than the 500 count.
Old November 21, 2011, 12:26 AM   #4
Geezerbiker

I once found a car key in a new box of Sierra .224 50 grain varmint bullets. Not the same but just as odd...

Tony
Old November 21, 2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Mike38

Quote:
I once found a car key in a new box of Sierra .224 50 grain varmint bullets. Not the same but just as odd…
That sure beats finding a pulled bullet mixed in with 500 new ones!

I just found it odd finding that pulled bullet. I understand a company could make a batch of loaded ammo, and having to stop production mid stream because it didn’t meet quality standards. But I can’t understand them selling pulled bullets as new. Being it was just one, I find it humorous. But if I bought 500 bullets thinking they were new, and all of them were pulled, I’d be upset.
Old November 21, 2011, 04:38 AM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Could it have been the last of one batch (pulled bullets) still in a machine that made it into the first bag of a new batch (new bullets)?
Old November 21, 2011, 09:02 AM   #7
BPowderkeg

not too odd, i had a local supplier who sold bulk 55 Gr. and 62 Gr. bullets in boxes of 2,500, out of those 2,500 i would find there were apprx. 2,530+ or - 20 bullets, some had no cannelure, there were some jackets without a core, some cores without jackets, all in all i would end up with apprx. 2,515 good bullets.
Old November 21, 2011, 10:13 AM   #8
briandg

Mike, it's sort of like finding a french fry in your order of tater tots, or a single cheerio in that box of froot loops.

You probably bought from a repackager, not actually factory packed. the repackagers will buy bulk bullets by the crate, weigh them out, and box them up. This isn't going to be a sterile operation like the remington factory will be. It's probably going to be more like a mom and pop plumbing supply dealer. If someone sees a bullet on the floor, if it looks like what he's working with, he's going to pick it up and toss it into the box. It may have been on the floor for a couple of days, from when they were packaging up bullets pulled from corroded ammo from el salvador.

Bad ammo is not always salvaged. IRECO, an explosives manufacturer, has an incinerator here that is contracted to safely dispose of various explosive materials. they destroy tons of bad ammunition every year, just dumping it into the kiln and letting it cook off.
Old November 21, 2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Geezerbiker

When I found that new key, the silly in me thought it might have been part of a give away. When I call Sierra they said some weird things went on when they closed down one plant... There were 51 bullets in the box so I guess I got one free...

Tony