The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 25, 1999, 09:31 PM   #1
wildcat

I have a twelve ga. break action shotgun marked F.R.Bucklin East Tilton N.H. Because of the overall style I belive it was made in the 1800s . The checkering is quite coarse about 12 Lpi it is a strait grip stock. Nearly every screw and pin in it including the stock bolt is marked with the letter B. Can anyone tell me anything about this gun maker?
Old December 26, 1999, 09:15 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Wildcat:
May I assume that it is a double bbl? and if so, does it have exposed hammers, dbl triggers, auto ejectors?

HJN
Old December 26, 1999, 09:39 AM   #3
wildcat

Good question it is a single with a exposed hammer the barrel does not apear to be of the twisted type .There are two dovetails cut in the bottom of the barrel that have been pluged with brass.This leads me to beleve that the barrel was inteneded for or salvaged from a muzzel loader.
Old December 26, 1999, 10:33 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Wildcat:
Your deduction, brass filled, sounds reasonable. I don't specifically have information on this gun, but I will surmize that it was a Crescent import, or made be Crescent early in their operation.

Crescent was a main mfg'r and importer of shotguns during the late 1800's to ear;y 1900's, when in 1932 it was purchased by Stevens Arms Company. The imported from France, Germany, belgium and sevaral other countris.

Crescent also made shotguns for Hardware Companies, or individuals who wanted their name on a shotgun. Thus the term "Hardware Guns"

HJN
Old December 26, 1999, 10:49 AM   #5
wildcat

I don't think so I have owned several cresents and this one bears no likeness.I think my bucklin predates cresent mfg. dates.