The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Sea Buck

.45 Auto Rim: Roll Crimp or Taper Crimp ?

I want to load up some .45 auto rim cases. Is it ok to use a taper crimp on the FMJ bullets as long as I keep the velocity down to the 700-750 fps range.I use a pretty stiff taper crimp on my ACP loads and might back off on that a little.The loads are for informal target shooting at 25 ft.
Old March 30, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
moxie

Crimp them the same as your ACP loads. And actually, even on those, you only need a light taper crimp. The only time you'll need a roll crimp is when you are using heavier bullets and loads, and the bullet has a definite cannelure into which you can roll the case mouth.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old March 30, 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
overkill0084

If it were me, I'd probably just stick with taper crimp. Especially since your using mild loads. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 31, 2011, 12:28 PM   #4
William T. Watts

Taper crimp only enough that the round slids fully into the chamber without assisting with your fingers, My loaded rounds mik .470"--.471" across the case mouth for my Springfield. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; April 3, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old April 3, 2011, 04:32 AM   #5
Clark

How are you going to roll crimp?

Cut off the bottom of a 45 Colt seater die?

I am tempted. I can't shoot full house loads with long length in Lead, or the recoil pulls the bullets out.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 3, 2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Ozzieman

Taper crimping requires a 4th die since its difficult to taper crimp as you seat.
Most ACP dies come as 3 die sets and can be a factory or roll crimp.
Once you start taper crimping you will never use anything else. Personally I prefer a firm taper crimp as long as it doesn’t deform the case. Due to the different case manufactures and wall thickness the firm crimp gives me a more uniform velocity and accuracy.
Old April 3, 2011, 05:20 PM   #7
saltydog452

If the revolver is a S&W, I can't see how it would matter much.

A '17 Colt has the 'step' in the cylinder that allowed the GI to shoot GI ammo w/o the half moon clip. Headspace was on the rim, not the half moon clip. Extraction via fingernail, but it did pop the primer.

I had one back in the 70s or so. Thats the way I remember it.

Some curious souls have used cut down '06 brass and rolled their on shot cartridges. That was pre-Speer shot cups.

salty

Last edited by saltydog452; April 3, 2011 at 05:29 PM.