The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old January 14, 2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Antihero47

Absolute Horrible Service From Turners - Details Inside (THR)

Hello Gents,

I feel as though I need to rant a little bit about some horrible service that I have received from one of my local Turners Outdoorsman. I am furious. I am only angry at this one particular Turners as I have another local one that treats people very well and are very helpful.

Background Information
On December 24th of last year I decided to purchase a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308win from Turners. I was visiting my family for Christmas in the next city over and while with my brother decided to go ahead and order it at the one that is close to my grandmothers. I called before going to make sure they had them and was told that they in fact did have some.

My brother and I drove over to the Turners and I asked to purchase the 700. We got all of the paperwork ready and he put down the serial of the rifle down and all that normal jazz. After he wrote it all up and I payed for the rifle I asked to see it. He then informed me that they did not have any, that it was going to be coming from another store. I told the guy that I called in advance to make sure that they had one. He told me that they did not and that they did not expect any for awhile, mine was going to be coming from another store.

I then asked if I could get my money back since they lied and told me that they had one but did not. The salesman then pointed to the paper and told me that I was going to have to pay a $175 'Restocking' Fee. I then laughed and told the guy 'How are you going to make me pay a 'restocking' fee if you do not even have the rifle in stock?!'. He kept pushing the contract and so I finally asked to talk to the manager. I informed him of the call before, and that I wanted a refund. We talked, and we finally agreed that I was going to wait until the rifle arrived, and that if I still did not want it I can let him know and he will waive the 'Restocking Fee' and give me a full refund.

I was told that the rifle would be there after 10 days. I figured that was fine since it was going to be the holidays and that was going to make the 10 days go by fast. Well, I called on Day 10... Pickup Day. I was told it had not arrived, and that nobody at the store knew about a rifle that was coming from a different store. I should call back the next day. I called and they informed me that it was going to be there in 2 days and to call then. I called... and was told that it was going to be another day as it was their inventory day and that nobody was going to deliver. Call back in another day or two.

Finally I got it... got out of their quick.

Why I am now Angry - Weekend
So, I plan a trip to the range with my brother after attaching the new bases, rings, scope, bipod, QD mounts, and sling. He has to drive 45 minutes to meet me. He brings his ATR that I sold him, and his 40S&W. I take my new rifle and some handloads, and my girlfriends .22 that I got her. We pay our $19 fee to use the range all day. Set up everything and wait to go set up our targets. Get those down.

We both unload our rifles, get our ammo and spotting scope all situated. sling the bipods down (in tandem mind you ) and get ready to site in and throw some lead down range. I throw in one of my handloads that I made for my new Rifle over the 10day waiting period and pull the trigger. "Click". Eject the round and examine for a primer punch. No go. I think maybe its my handloads and try some of the factory stuff that I was going to use to sight in. "Click". Eject the bolt and inspect it for anything wierd. I could see where the bolt would rotate and lock, it gave the bolt face a round circular brass colored ring. So I knew that the bolt and round were in contact. Try again with some other rounds about 50-50 handloads to Factory.... nothing. Not even any primer hits.

******, I take out the .22 and plink at 50 yards all day. Then unleash a hail storm of .40S&W into the human silhouette in frustration. I call Turners as my brother is having a blast with his .30-06. I tell them that I picked up the rifle a day ago and that the rifle is not firing, he asks me if the primers are being hit. I tell him no. He informs me to bring it in. I told him I would during the week.

Why I am Angry -Today
I take it in and tell the salesman who I talked to on the phone that it is not firing a round. He then cycles the bolt and pulls the trigger. "Click"... "It seems to be working just fine, are you sure its not working?" he says, in which I reply, "I was doing the same thing with multiple rounds and got the same clicks on the range, of course I am sure its not working, or else I wouldn't be here." He tells me to give him a few moments with it in the back to try a snap cap. I said thats fine.

Well he came back, and told me that they did not have any snapcaps, but that he put a cleaning rod with a round bottom and laid it against the bolt face. He said that he dry fired it and it sent the cleaning rod pretty high... and that he thinks that its fine. I informed him that I really did not think that was going to help it and that I felt that it would probably best to send it in to get some repair work. He then waived over another gentleman and told him that 'This guy thinks that his gun is broke and says that it is not firing a round in the chamber'. The new guy to the conversation asked me what brand of ammunition I was firing and decided that it would be good to blame that instead of the firearm. I told him I tried 3 different boxes and multiple rounds from each box. Not one dent from the firing pin in any of the primers.

After that was all said and done and they treated me as if I did not know what I was talking about, they asked me what I thought they should do. I told them that either (A)Give me a new Rifle, (B) Send this in for repairs and you pay the shipping and whatever it costs to fix it, or (C) give me a refund. After I told them that, they told me that it should be sent to a Remington Repair facility. I agreed, and they then decided that they were going to try to pawn it off on me... informing me "Well, this is probably going to 'BLAH & Blah Smithing' out in Westminster CA. It takes like 45 minutes to get there, and if you leave now you can take it there and see if they will take it..." to which I responded... "Do you know that the repair facility is in Orange County, AND, that I did not think that I should drive 70 miles to a facility without any assurance that they would take it if I took it to their doorstep... PLUS... I don't feel as though it should be my responsibility to spend the gas, mileage and wear and tear on my vehicle, and time waiting in traffic for 3 hours trying to get back for a rifle that I purchased from you and was defective.

They then told me that it would be best if I shipped it to the facility... because.. and I quote.. "Look man, you can send it in yourself and probably do that today, or you can give it to us and let us ship it. But, just so you know its going to take a long time if you go through us because we kinda drag our feet sometimes, then its got to go to the warehouse and they may drag their feet. We will not know where its at or how long its going to take... all we can do is call you whenever it happens to arrive back to our store."

I told them that it was bull**** that I purchase a rifle from them, they try to stick me with bogus 'restocking' fee after they lie to me, then have no clue where or when my $700 product that I purchased from them will arrive then on top of that when they sell me a defective rifle, they do not take responsibility and deal with it. They could take the rifle and ship it and before they do it stick it up their Axx!!! So I made a claim that its worth 700 dollars, and that if I do not get it back in 90 days I will be reimbursed $700.

I hate them. -Cry-

/rant
Old January 14, 2009, 01:55 AM   #2
sholling

I've been shopping at Turners for 35 years and have usually had excellent service. But I also know that not everyone working at gunshops, including Turners, are the most helpful or knowledgeable of critters. You get the occasional assistant manager that came over from a McDonald's or something and is frustrated because he hasn't been promoted to corporate CEO and won't lift a finger for a customer until they give it to him. Thankfully in all these years I've only run into one of those at a Turners. If I were you I'd see the actual store manager, and if that doesn't solve the problem then call corporate in Chino. Make sure you keep a record of who you talk to.

Just make sure that you're cool, calm, collected, and polite when you talk to them. Having done customer service (computers) I can tell you that this is the key to excellent service anywhere. If a customer is polite most (but not all) managers will go way out of their way to make the customer happy. If (and I'm not pointing at you) he rants and raves and swears at me or an employee I'll smile and politely take his broken item throw it on a shelf and forget about it for a month before I think about doing anything with it. Just a tip.

FWIW I think Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster may have been been there since before the flintlock was invented. I'm not quite that old but it's had a stellar reputation forever and is a warranty station for almost everybody. I don't know how backed up they are though. I'd shoot for a replacement and settle for repairs if you have to.
Old January 14, 2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Powderman

I'm willing to bet that you had a run-in with the infamous J-lock.

On the side of the bolt, you will find a curious J-shaped cut. This is for their "safety key" that must be turned before the rifle will fire.

Simple fix? Order a bolt disassembly tool from Brownells, along with a Remington 700 firing pin assembly of the proper measurement. Remove firing pin assembly, install new one. Problem solved--and it takes all of 5 minutes.
Old January 14, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Dave P

"I'm willing to bet that you had a run-in with the infamous J-lock."

Now wouldn't that be embarrassing!!
Old January 14, 2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Horseman

J-lock not likely. This is a newly mfg'd gun. J-lock was discontinued in early 2005.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:59 AM   #6
bufordtjustice

Sorry to hear about your problems. I know how you feel though. Our society as a whole seems to have lost the grasp that the customer should be treated like you want him to come back and do business with you again. There are too many people who act as if they are doing you a favor. Even if you MAY be in the wrong, it should be common sense to treat you as if you are not, pretend to give a damn about your concerns and try to make you happy.

I spend a lot of cash on guns and gun stuff and I only give someone two chances to take care of me before I take my business elsewhere. The first may be a misunderstanding or just an isolated incident. More than one and it is no accident. When you get a manager involved and they don't help, screw them.

There is a well known custom gunmaker that I called once to get some pricing, advice, etc. The phone call was absolutely awesome and I hung up knowing we would do business again. The next time I called, I spoke to someone else and didn't care for their attitude. I will probably work with them again but if things aren't any better, my money will go somewhere else and I will make sure my friends know about it. There are too many good guys trying to make a living by being honest and straight up that deserve my business.
Old January 14, 2009, 04:01 PM   #7
Antihero47

I went into the store in a calm and collective manner. I did not go in there with the intent to be angry and upset them. I answered their questions calmly and even asked if they would like to see the ammo that I was trying to fire. I did all of that and only responded with a attitude AFTER they decided to insist that the rifle was fine. I obviously knew that the rifle was not fine.

The rifle was $609 + Tax + DOJ fees. I didn't mind that.

After having a day to think about it, I should have just taken the rifle home with me and called the repair facility. If I was able to drive it in I should have just done that, if not I should have shipped it. I should call and see if maybe I can pick it up and then see what I can do...
Old January 16, 2009, 07:17 PM   #8
BcktofFish

Be sure and let us know what happens!
Old January 16, 2009, 07:33 PM   #9
Tikirocker

Anti,

Even though I am in Australia I feel very sorry for your experience and even on the other side of the world I can tell you that I am pretty disgusted by the treatment you got - that's pure used car sales tactics right there. I had my wife reading over my shoulder and her mouth was open reading what you had to go through.

So let's get this straight ... they lie to you about having a rifle in stock so they can take your money and GET the sale - then they use delay tactics to make it impossible for you to get your money back ( and rightfully so! ) and make you wait 10 days + for it ... only for you to finally get a faulty product?

No my friend ... you shouldn't have had to DO anything. The onus should have been entirely on them but since they are clearly a low brow dirt bag operation of course they continued their games with a total lack of customer service or moral compass. I'd be looking to take some kind of action with a consumer affairs group and let them know that you plan to also. You deserve nothing less than a complete refund or for them to fix and pay for all repairs in a timely manner as well as a public apology. I would also report this to the head office of this operation.

Best, Tiki.
Old January 16, 2009, 09:15 PM   #10
crowbeaner

Anti; I'm not going to bash Kalifornia but the least the state could do after making you wait 10 days to pick up a PREPAID forearm is to lean on this store and have them make it right for you. AAHHNOLD should make sure that every gun sold to a legitimate owner that has to go through that much BS just to buy it works better than one sold in Nevada where the pros are. Call whomever you have to to get a rifle that works or the one you have fixed! The BBB should have a complaint and check into the lemon laws there; they might not apply to just cars! Make a BIG stink! Put it on a billboard if you have to; just print the truth. I might have to wait a day or so for my guns to be OK'd, but to be delivered a NON FIRING weapon after 10 days could have been a disaster for someone; suppose that you were an LEO and had to fire that rifle at a perp and take him out to save someone's life and it malfunctioned then? HMMMM?
Old January 16, 2009, 09:32 PM   #11
ThreeStepsAhead

I'll never shop a Turners. Thanks for the heads up.

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."
Old January 20, 2009, 08:10 PM   #12
itchy1

Not surprised

After several dissappointing experiences with Turners in San Bernardino, I swore that I would never patronize them again. Their counter goons would tell you anything to make a sale. More often than not, they did not know squat about guns and would BS their way around your questions. Sad thing is that there are fewer and fewer places to buy firearms in my old stomping grounds...
Old January 28, 2009, 11:46 PM   #13
mulletguter

Quote:
I payed for the rifle I asked to see it
Is this SOP for buying a gun in CA? In FL when I buy from a dealer the gun is sitting in front of me while I fill out the AFT form, then the dealer calls it in. I check the S/N on the gun to make sure it’s the same one on the recite and then pay.
Old January 31, 2009, 09:13 AM   #14
Mr.Slave

When I lived in Hermos Beach I would go down there every now and then. I found them to be the most arrogant jerks or any retail establishment I have ever patronized.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:39 PM   #15
TEDDY

[color=#FF0000]β–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]β–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]β–ˆ[/color]

call the state AG and complain if you call BBB they can tell you if turners has had complaints but they cant help you.how about corp head quarters.and how could they put down a serial number when they did not have the gun?
is the gun serial match what is on your 4473.on the receipt match the gun.
if they dont you are in trouble.