The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 8, 2005, 07:33 PM   #1
chemist308

Ouch?

So, I've got a Lyman Great Plains flintlock on order from WalMart, but I've got a question for you all. How do you deal with that curved metal but-plate? I'm definitely getting that model--heard too many great things about it. Also want the historical look and feel. But how do you guys deal with those curve metal but-plates and how bad is it gonna hurt?

Sorry for sounding like a wus...
Old August 8, 2005, 11:34 PM   #2
fastforty

No worries mate, load 60 grains & say yer loading 90... or 110... or 150, however manly you need to look Seriously though, it aint that bad, black powder has a slower kick then smokeless powder. Even if you flinch & screw up yer face because it hurts, you have a good smokescreen to hide it for a few seconds until you recover :eek
Old August 9, 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
arcticap

No Problem

I don't think that you are going to have any problem with the curved buttplate as long as you keep the curve in the proper position in the crotch of your shoulder. You can even lower it down onto your arm, as long as you don't try to put the lower point into your fleshy shoulder you'll be fine. Curved buttplates can be extremely comfortable, and the weight of the gun should absorb just about any of the felt recoil of heavier loads.
Old August 9, 2005, 06:51 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

As mentioned...

They didn't mount the gun on the shoulder. Funny how shooting styles change.
Old August 9, 2005, 09:12 PM   #5
chemist308

So I won't be shooting as I typically do with my 308? Do tell, what do you mean by the 'crotch of my shoulder?'--the ball right above my arm, but past my normal mounting position for a rifle? Can these things really be fired off your arm??
Old August 9, 2005, 09:22 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

That's what I've read and other muzzle loaders have told me. The buttstock is placed on the arm and not the shoulder. I've fired it that way and it does take some getting use to. Start with low charges first.
Old August 11, 2005, 12:14 AM   #7
arcticap

Maybe I should have said try fitting the bottom of the curve into the "crotch of your armpit". Then, if the stock feels too long or is uncomfortable, bring it down along the arm more until the length & comfort feels right (Sorry about the terminology).