The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 31, 2000, 09:19 AM   #1
Will Beararms

Thanks to all who have contributed to this train of thought.

I have noted that the .243 seems ideal for neck shots with Whitetail. Every deer I have neck shot with this caliber at ranges inside of 100 yards dropped like a rock.

Last year, I shot a small buck on a new lease we have that has way too many deer per acre on it. I hit him at about 55 yards with a 150 grain .30-.30 Remington Core-lokt in the right shoulder. The bullet hit bone and he dropped instantly. The damage to the shoulder was profuse.

The big 8-point I shot in 1994 with a 150 grain .30-06 was shot through the heart to save the neck for a mount. He did just as many have posted here, he died but not after running through the brush.

Quite possibly, shot placement is more critical than caliber OR bullet selection. I

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old July 31, 2000, 10:08 PM   #2
Ron Ankeny

Have you ever taken a neck shot and missed? If so, are you sure you missed? Just thought I would ask. You see, there are many, (like a hell of a lot) of game animals wounded every year due to failed head and/or neck shots. I have shot dozens of animals in the head or neck, but I won't even take that shot anymore.

[This message has been edited by Ron Ankeny (edited July 31, 2000).]
Old July 31, 2000, 10:31 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ron Ankeny: I agree with you, but only in part, about neck shots. Distance is a major factor for me. Others include whether or not I have a steady rest, and whether the animal is just standing. Inside 100 yards or so, I'll likely take the neck shot if the above caveats are met. Otherwise, heart/lungs.

If the deer's running straight away, we both have a problem.

, Art
Old July 31, 2000, 10:55 PM   #4
Will Beararms

Ron:

I refuse to take a shot on a deer that is running. I hunt in dense cover and if you don't knock them down, chances are, they will be eaten by coyotes. The longest shot I have ever had in my life on a Whitetail was about 70 yards and most of the deer I have shot were either slipping (moved a few steps and stopped, moved a few steps and stopped) or standing at the edge of an old logging road.

I do not hunt in anything but thick brush or laarge stands of timber with heavy cover. Therefore, I will not avail myself of marginal shots. From age seven until age fourteen, I missed every deer I shot at and took some horrible shots. From the age of 17 until now at 36, have passed up more than I have missed.

------------------
Old July 31, 2000, 11:09 PM   #5
Will Beararms

I will try to make this short and understandible but about 16 years ago, I was hunting on a Saturday evening before dusk. I was in a tree stand in heavy timber about 300 yards north of an old logging road that ran east and west. I heard something behind me and saw a Buck over my left shoulder at about 60 yards. He was heading due North through brush and timber. I scooted around the ladder stand with my feet hanging off (I'm left-handed.) I pulled the trigger only to hear a snap since I had not pulled the hammer back far enough on a old tempermental Marlin 336 .30-30. The Buck kept moving and I missed with the second shot.

The next afternoon, I sat on the same stand. No Buck. About 30 minutes before legal shooting hours were up. I got in my car and drove to the logging road where the deer had come from the day before. I had the car facing East and laid the rifle on the roof of the car. I looked down the road towards the west--------nothing. I turned around to look towards the East and THERE WAS THE SAME BUCK APPROACHING THE ROAD'S EDGE PREPARING TO CROSS. I creeped over to the roof of the car and took a shot from 40 yards standing in the middle of the road with no rest. I hit the buck IN THE EYE with the old Marlin .30-30 and el cheapo Tasco 4X and the rest is history.

Would I ever take a shot like that again? Not for all of the tea in China!

------------------
Old August 1, 2000, 07:13 PM   #6
Ron Ankeny

Thanks guys...I just failed to relate to your circumstances. Out here (Wyoming) we have wide open spaces and it is rare for a critter to just vanish in a couple of steps.

I guess what I am talking about is the guy who goes for the neck or head on a deer of antelope out in the middle of the sage brush flats just to keep from ruining a couple of pounds of hamburger. Thanks for straightening me out.
Old August 1, 2000, 09:17 PM   #7
Will Beararms

Ron:

No apologies needed. The one thing I hate down here is when someone gut shoots a deer. They are invariably never found in thick timber until after the buzzards have had first dibs.

Certainly, a long range shot should be taken in traditional kill zones.