The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2002, 01:17 AM   #1
cashooter

7mm TCU vs. 300 Whisper

Anyone loaded & shot both of these caliburs? 7mm TCU and .300 Whisper.
Trying to pick between them for a Contender/Encore 14-15" pistol.

I'm a relative newbie to reloading, (44Mag & 45-70 only so far) Will these bottle neck cases cause me more difficulty then the straight cases I've worked on so far? How about the conversio(s) from their parent cases? either an easier choice.

My other options were .308 or .300 WSM for the Encore...
Better choices or worse?

Used for paper punching @ 100 & 200 yds, so far...

Opinions please, know there is a few out there!!

Mike B.
Downey, CA

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next.
Skill is knowing how to do it.
Virtue is doing it." -- David Starr Jordan
Old November 18, 2002, 08:12 AM   #2
kurt IA.

I have a 7TCU, and like it, no trouble to form or load. Never played with any of the others. Hint if you go for the TCU use new brass, Not mill, it will split necks when necked up to 7MM.
Old November 18, 2002, 10:51 AM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

One thing to extend brass life in Contenders is to size only enough to allow proper lock up i.e. really headspace off the shoulder (bottleneck rounds).
Old November 18, 2002, 08:01 PM   #4
Cris

300 Whisper

I purchased a 300/221 (300 Whisper) 12" barrel from Virgin Valley last summer and am just now getting around to loading for it. What few rounds I have loaded have been simple. I am using a Redding die set, which has 2 expanders. The first pass takes the 221 brass to ~284 and you change expanders and go up to 30 caliber on the second pass. I used new brass, and am in the process of reloading the fireformed brass with 125gr (Moly coated) Nosler Balistic Tips for deer. I am still planning to purchase a vari-power scope soon to test the barrel accuracy (right now I have a Redfield 4X and would like a little more magnification and clarity) on heavier bullets out to say 250-300 yards.