The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2012, 12:40 PM   #26
Gdawgs

I used 8 grains of Trail Boss with a 255 gr lead bullet last time I loaded some up. The beautry of Trail Boss is you can use it with any bullet with pretty much any caliber, even rifle, even though you'll typically only see it listed for lead bullets. And you don't even have to measure, you can just fill up the case to where the bullet gets seated and that's your max load. Then you can reduce it 30% from there.

I've never tried it with jacketed bullets or rifle, but it would be fun to try.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20B...oads%20R&P.pdf
Old September 27, 2012, 06:29 PM   #27
fishbones182

Quote:
I didn't just get off the loading boat with my first Lee press.
My poor lee press gets slamed again. I use alot of bullseye and tightgroup. I know a lot of folks are scared to use it. Im not just take things slow and steady and pay attention to what you are doing and when you are doing it. Just how you should with all reloading.
Old September 27, 2012, 06:52 PM   #28
zxcvbob

I don't load for .454 Casull, but I've been playing with the data in QuickLoad. I don't think you can double-charge a case with Bullseye unless you are doing light loads to begin with. You can stuff enough BE powder in there to get yourself in trouble, but a compressed charge is not as high pressure as one would expect.

Bullseye has always been stable and predictable for me in high-pressure cartridges. I wouldn't have any trouble with using it in the .454, but I don't think I'd max it all the way out. There are too many other good powders out there.
Old September 27, 2012, 07:11 PM   #29
Edward429451

No max here. I'm 3.0 gr below max at 10.0.

Sorry fishbones, just an expression!

nickNitro, that's interesting what you say. Perhaps I need to experiment with that some. I typically only shoot handguns out to 50 yds.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:47 AM   #30
happie2shoot

I have used 8 th 13gr. of bullseye with 250 cast.
One of my best light loads is 8gr.=1000fps out of 7.5''
Old September 28, 2012, 06:41 AM   #31
nicknitro71

Quote:
One of my best light loads is 8gr.=1000fps out of 7.5''
That's about the perfect speed for any pistol cartage!
Old September 29, 2012, 07:59 PM   #32
fishbones182

Quote:
Sorry fishbones, just an expression!
Its ok i was just poking fun at the comment is all. No hard feelings.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:06 AM   #33
Axelwik

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've been using 2.7 grains of Bullseye behind .38 wadcutters for years. A double or triple charge is possible there too.

Use a loading block and don't reload under the influence (RUI) (No distracted reloading either, so no texting!)
Old October 2, 2012, 09:58 PM   #34
Edward429451

Yea, that's the thing. Using Bullseye is pretty standard for some like me. It's no different than any other powder as far as reloading goes. Having presence of mind and no distractions, as well as a good load procedure will keep one out of trouble with it. I was pretty amazed that so many are against it.

Thinking about it, I kind of understand why the general hesitation to its use. Less and less people have presence of mind anymore. There's newbies, druggies, alkys, and insanity running rampant in the world right now and seems to be getting worse. Not to mention bubba. Add the internet where people can read all about the guns blowing up (and people too embarrassed to admit their own fault blaming the guns and such) and it scares people.

The funny thing is that while people are scared of Bullseye, which is a very stable and predictable powder...people think nothing of suggesting H110/WW296 and in full power loadings. These powders are a lot more touchy than Bullseye!