The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 27, 2012, 08:10 PM   #26
Sefner

Quote:
I think a policy arbitrarily forbidding anyone who uses some form of mild mood enhancing drug from owning guns is a very dangerous and slippery slope. Based on usage, it is a good bet that there are many TFL members in that category.
Hope you're not drinking Pepsi, coffee, or tea, else you're taking a mood-enhancing drug, caffeine!
Old January 27, 2012, 10:21 PM   #27
C0untZer0

Another problem with drugs..

My oldest daughter has ADHD. She was taking Stratera and then a combination of Stratera and Ritalin, and then her doctor recomended adding Prozac. I was shocked I said "Prozac is for depression!" Her doctor said it wasn't just to treat depression and that it would probably help her in school.

She's now on Stratera, Adderal and Prozac and she's doing fairly well in school - she is 11, in advanced math and took the ACT last month and got a remarkable score on it.

She's also learning to shoot.

I hope someday that she enjoys shooting as much as I do, I do worry that if they instituted questions on a FOID or CWL "Have you ever taken or been prescribed any of the following drugs: ___________ " I'm sure Prozac would be at the top of the list, and I'd hate for her to be denied the right to buy firearms because she once took a small dose of Prozac for ADHD.
Old January 28, 2012, 12:30 AM   #28
betterdays

You don't point guns at people. Call the cops, thats what they're there for.
Old January 28, 2012, 02:27 AM   #29
farmerboy

Betterdays , i got alot to say about that stupid comment
but I'll choose to keep them to myself for once. I know if I said what I'm thinking I'll have an admin wanting to boot me off here (again). Just to prove a point about human intelligence go back and reread two comments and you'll see how some people think and then you'll know that with ones like this no wonder our country in going in the direction it is.

Last edited by farmerboy; January 28, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old January 28, 2012, 07:36 AM   #30
cambeul41

Quote:
You don't point guns at people. Call the cops, thats what they're there for.
And what do you expect the police to do?
Old January 28, 2012, 08:43 AM   #31
simonm2211

More info here...

In summary, the doorbell rang 3 times around 11pm and she answered each time to find no-one there.
After the 3rd time, she goes outside with a 9mm.
She fires the weapon.
Minutes later a teenager walks down the street and she holds him at gun point. Police arrive and arrest her. And she is 47 y.o.

http://www.officer.com/news/10617466...acted-to-prank

Last edited by simonm2211; January 28, 2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: to get hyperlink to work
Old January 28, 2012, 11:16 AM   #32
Frank Ettin
Staff

Bottom line is that a gun is not a tool of universal application. Lethal force may justifiably be used only in a fairly narrow range of circumstances.

It appears that this woman got her gun and fired it when she had no reason recognized as good under the applicable law. If that's the case, she's going to be in a bunch of legal trouble.

The thing is, how well do you understand when you may lawfully use lethal force?

Last edited by Frank Ettin; January 28, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old January 28, 2012, 12:22 PM   #33
brickeyee

even attorneys can be bit by the stupid bug, and one took a big chunk out of her.
Old January 30, 2012, 04:57 PM   #34
markj

Now if there was a paper bag and if it was indeed on fire.......

Quote:
How would some others say they would've handled it any differently?
I would not fire upon someone was ringing the doorbell. Is this some new form of threat now?

I would have turned the dogs loose. Oops sorry bout that, shouldnt have been on the porch.....