The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Lilswede1

Lubricants - 1 shot or Dillon

Prepping .223 cases for reloading is done in the shop using a RCBS RockCrusher.
Decided to try the spray on 1 Shot lube following instructions to the letter and it seemed to work fine.
Reloading is down in the house (lot cleaner process) with a Dillon 550b Progressive loader using the 1 Shot. The same cases that resized well on the Rockcrusher were "hanging" up on the Dillon press at the resizing, depriming station (first station).
This, of course, was affecting the shoulder length.
Thnking that the base of the case may not have been lubed well enough because of the loading block, I manually coated them with 1 Shot and coated the inside of each neck with a Q-tip.

Not much improvement.
Then I manually coated just the base of some with the Dillon lube. Cases resized very smoothly and shoulder length was not affected.

Anyone else run into this?
Old December 16, 2010, 09:06 AM   #2
PA-Joe

What I have found is that if the spray lube dries it is less effective. However, if it is too wet and you do not wipe it from the necks you get dimples due to too much lube.

I usually spray the cases in an open box and then shack them around to more evenly spread the lube. I also Q tip the inside of the necks.
Old December 16, 2010, 09:13 AM   #3
snuffy

First, one shot is a POS. Sooner or later you're going to have a stuck case, the difficulty you're experiencing is only the beginning.

Are you sizing twice? The way your OP reads, you're spraying in the shop, then running them on the press. I suppose you're trying to keep the mess out of the house. Another reason to NOT use one shot, after a while your loading blocks will have a thick coating of white crud on them.

Somebody's going to chime in saying, use imperial sizing dies wax. It works well, but there's better. RCBS makes a pump spray called case slick. Midway also makes a similar pump spray lube, both are lanolin in alcohol.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 16, 2010, 09:45 AM   #4
mehavey

Quote:
Somebody's going to chime in saying, use imperial sizing dies wax....
ding, ding, ding.....

Old December 16, 2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Hog Buster

I've been using Dillon spray (alcohol and lanolin) for a few years now, never a problem. Dump them in a box spray and shake and spray and shake again. A little goes a long way. A touch in the neck with a q-tip and you’re ready to size. Sure beats the old lube and pad routine.
Old December 17, 2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Lilswede1

Try a Plastic baggy

Glad its just not me. Have listen to several of my loading buddies laud the performance of 1 Shot so had to try it.
They load mostly larger calibers whereas I only load .223 at this time.
Does the 1 Shot work better on the bigger stuff?
1 Shot works well for the RCBS Rockchucker but not very good on the Dillon 550B.
Here's a method I will go back to.

I put 100 cases in a plastic baggie then spray in Dillon lube. Shake and massage the bag well - fill a loading block and q-tip the necks. Seems to work well for me and pretty fast.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7
demigod

Definitely DILLON. I'm not a Dillon Fanboy. The stuff just works. One shot (pump) is probably the worst reloading product ever sold.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:59 AM   #8
hogcowboy

Plastic Bag

Lilswede1's plastic bag trick has worked for me for years. Just be sure you don't spray too much in the bag.

American Legion Rider
Old December 17, 2010, 01:51 PM   #9
TXJohn

Say what you want about spray and pump lubes but I have never stuck a case using Imperial Sizing Wax in loading thousands of rounds. It also helps me feel any nicks, burrs, or splits in the case when applying that I have over looked in the cleaning process JMO.
Old December 17, 2010, 02:28 PM   #10
oneounceload

The Hornady product (like most of the spray lubes) has some nasty chemicals in it. Best done in a well-ventilated area.....better to go with wax or one using a different mix of products
Old December 17, 2010, 02:32 PM   #11
asmyles

Just got done running 300 308 cases through my RCBS single stage. Have the 1 Shot pump and gave it a try. Found that if the cases had time to dry....... PITA!!!! I had run out of Dillon and was in a hurry.

Like My Gramps always said " The hurrierd I go the behinder I get." Wise man My Gramps.
Old December 19, 2010, 12:03 AM   #12
ethan95

My Method

Throw your cases in a zip-lock bag, fog it with lubricant of choice (i personally use one shot). Mix cases in bag, check for adequate lubricant, add more if necessary. I find it also helps to give your die a spray too.
Old December 19, 2010, 02:52 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

I absolutely swear by Imperial Sizing Wax for normal reloading (single stage / rifle cartridges), but I would never use it on a progressive press. The whole point of a progressive press is speed and efficiency in reloading large lots of ammunition. Imperial is far from speedy and efficient to use.

One Shot works well for some people, but has a lot of dependencies. A lot of factors can make One Shot a no-go for some reloaders. If you use a tumbling media that leaves a lot of residue on the cases, One Shot won't work. If you use cleaning solvents that leave residue in your dies, One Shot won't work. If you oil your dies for storage (even if you wipe them out before use), One Shot won't work as well as it should (if at all). If you don't clean your brass at all before reloading... don't even try using One Shot.

The same can be said for many types of lube, though. Mixing oils, lanolin, glycerin, or wax lubes can create really nasty buildup in sizing dies - beyond what a single lubricant is capable of doing. Combined with dirt and grime from cases, that buildup can cause permanent damage to your dies.

As far as One Shot goes - Most reloaders don't use enough when they first try it (and may also have some of the issues mentioned above). If you are having issues with One Shot, reassess your application process and quantity. -Then switch to another lube, when you find it takes half a can to properly lubricate 50 rifle cases.
Old December 19, 2010, 06:17 PM   #14
oldscot3

I used One Shot for probably better than 20 years without a hitch, however, I've watched the price climb and climb. I now use Imperial wax and the cost is a small fraction of what I was spending. I don't mind taking the extra time to be just a little more frugal since my handloads are not for my firearms that I burn a lot ammo in. When practicing with the 40 or 45 I use white box factory stuff.
Old December 22, 2010, 08:18 PM   #15
colo native

Imperial wax, used for at least 30 years, from 25-20 to 300 win mag, never had a stuck case or a lube crease, mostly on a dillon... tried all the others, but allways go back to Imp...
Old December 23, 2010, 11:55 AM   #16
gew98

When I started out I had an RCBS 'sticky pad'. Hated it . It did not take long to figure out cheap old cooking spray...PAM , canola oil etc etc worked like a charm for little cost. I take my polished brass and toss tham in a plastic basin and spray them with a film of the non stick cooking spray. I mix them up good by hand and start preparing the brass through the size trim die , and or go right to loading. I wipe the plastic basin out after each use so no sticky crud builds up to a tacky dirt collecting mess.
So far no problems with RCBS or lee dies in over 20 years.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:00 PM   #17
rogn

Not likeing to use sprays and fogs, Ive settled on Lee's reizing lube. This is a watersoluble wax in a cream form. The expected proceedure is to spread it with your fingers and qtip the necks. Ive found as some others that placing a small amount,less than a teaspoon in a good heavy duty baggie and then adding adash of rubbing alcohol will easily do 20-25 WSM cases. You can then qtip the necks to avoid expander ball case stretching. The bag can be stored and reused, just add a bit more wax and rubbing alcohol. A good liight coat of Lee wax gives easy sizing, maybe only STP or lanolin is easier as far as actual sizing effort goes. Easy to clean, i just wipe off with paper towel. Easy to batch, probably can do 30-50 556 cases at a time. I use imperial ffor an occasional small batch but the sizing effort is much easier with the Lee product.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:03 PM   #18
armoredman

I am very small time, I lube all rifle cases with Lee Lube, one at a time. I tried One Shot, and it did not work well. I still use One Shot - to lube fresh cast bullets about to be sized, works well for that.
RCBS pump lube? I am running out of ZLee Lube, might look into that.
Old December 26, 2010, 09:24 AM   #19
Ozzieman

I have used 1shot for years and love it. .223, 308, 30-06, 7mm Rem mag. I have never had the problem that you are. But I have started using a respirator/filter when I spray cases. It’s starting to bother my lungs. My loading room is small and doesn’t have much air circulation.