The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 12, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
2ndchance

Surfire EarPro hearing protection... like em?

I've been considering getting some of these but am concerned with their actual protection.

I don't expect they work as well as standard plugs or ear muffs.. but will they prevent the "ringing" in the ear.

I love the idea of being able to communicate while there is shooting going on. I'm tired of trying to yell over full auto fire.

Has anyone used these and what caliber do you shoot when using these? How do they perform?

Old November 12, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Murdoch

I have the first ones that came out. They have some new ones with almost double the sound suppression, I believe.

I love mine. They're comfortable, discreet and you can still hear conversation. I even use them at the indoor range, and the only time I've felt like they weren't enough was when some guy next to me started shooting a hand cannon of a revolver the size of my arm, or the guy who started shooting 12ga buckshot in the lane next too me...I hadn't noticed him come in...scared the crap of me

Other than those two times, they've been plenty. I just toss my muffs in my range bag for the rare occasions I need more.
Old November 12, 2008, 11:00 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
or the guy who started shooting 12ga buckshot in the lane next too me...I hadn't noticed him come in...scared the crap of me
Sorry, I wanted to see what my NEF kicked like. Believe me, it hurt me more than you.

Those plugs look great. Maybe after i finish buying everything I can imagine wanting over the next ten yea I will buy some.
Old November 13, 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Murdoch

Hehe...sometimes at my range, I'll be the only one there...I'll be loading mags or something, and BOOM! Someone will have come in quietly and started right up. Wakes you up quick, let me tell you.

The ones I have go for about $10, and I think the higher rated ones are about $20.
Old November 13, 2008, 11:56 PM   #5
chris in va

I just did a little searching. It seems the latest 'EP4' Defenders only have a NRR of about 9, and you have to put the stopper in to achieve 18. Definitely not adequate in my book.
Old November 14, 2008, 08:39 PM   #6
2ndchance

Ug... I guess I'm just going to have to drop some $$ and try a set. I don't think I can get a real idea of how they perform unit I wear one and fire off some rounds. LOL.
Old November 15, 2008, 02:05 PM   #7
chris in va

Let us know how they work.
Old November 15, 2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Trapp

I like mine a lot. They may not be adequate, but I use them. Consistently using them is the key.

Sure muffs might better, but I won't use them as much because the interfere. Regular plugs have to come in and out....

I use mine for shooting, power tool use, engine room work and any other time I think I might use them..
Old November 15, 2008, 08:40 PM   #9
scottz0369

I like the EP-3's a lot. I wore them every time outside the wire on my last tour in Iraq-They're very comforatble and do a pretty good job keeping the noise out. For strictly range use though I'd probably go with a sound cancelling muff setup like Peltor.

Scott