The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2007, 12:48 AM   #1
TargetTerror

New 44 Mag brass sticking hardcore in sizing die

I reloaded some brand new 44 Magnum brass from Starline tonight. Every case was sticking A LOT in the sizing die. I don't have any brass lube, or I would I tried using some.

Is this normal, though? This is literally my first time reloading 44 mag. I bought brand new Dillon dies. I've loaded 1000s of .357, .38 special, and 9mm and have never experienced such uncooperative brass before.
Old December 1, 2007, 12:56 AM   #2
Hawg

Are your dies carbide? Carbide dies shouldn't stick without lube.
Old December 1, 2007, 01:04 AM   #3
TargetTerror

Yes, they are carbide. I should have put that in the original post.
Old December 1, 2007, 01:18 AM   #4
RussB

I've had issues with new 44 Mag brass sticking (in the sizing die)

De-burr the inside & outside of the case, and tumble them for a short while. I de-burr the inside just to make sure there's nothing to catch on the expander.
Old December 1, 2007, 01:35 AM   #5
k Squared

Back Off!!!

Target Terror,

Have you compared the sized brass diameter with unfired cartridges. If you don't have a caliper, you can compare how tightly the brass fits into the cylinder.

If the brass fits loosely into the cylinder try backing the sizing die off slightly.

You'll have to ensure the bullets seat tightly.

Let us know if this helps.
Old December 1, 2007, 01:46 AM   #6
TargetTerror

Quote:
Have you compared the sized brass diameter with unfired cartridges. If you don't have a caliper, you can compare how tightly the brass fits into the cylinder.

If the brass fits loosely into the cylinder try backing the sizing die off slightly.

You'll have to ensure the bullets seat tightly.
I'm a little confused by what you mean, exactly. Are you saying that if the brass is smaller than spec, I should back off the sizing die slightly? How will this affect anything on a the straight walled case of the 44?
Old December 1, 2007, 06:21 PM   #7
TargetTerror

I called Dillon to get their opinion. They actually recommended using lube on ALL brass - rifle, pistol, all sizes. They said it extends the life of the machine, the dies, and the cases, and it would alleviate this problem. He also said that Starline brass tends to be a little bit thicker than other brass, so that might have something to do with it to.

I asked about using something like a 3-in-1 lube, and the guy recommended against it strongly. I think his main point was that if any gets into the case mouth, it can contaminate your powder and primer. I ordered some Hornady One Shot from Cabelas, so that should fix things nicely.
Old December 1, 2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Phil_A

Starline brass is good stuff but new brass does not slide as easily through the carbide sizer. It will get easier after the first firing. For new brass, a case lube such as "One Shot" is a good idea. Wipe down the brass after reloading if it needs it. - Phil
Old December 1, 2007, 09:23 PM   #9
thetoecutter

Been quite awhile since I used any new .44 mag brass, but it is the worst for "dragging" in the sizing die of any caliber I have ever loaded.

As others have mentioned, a little of the spray primer-friendly lube makes a big difference.

Heh. Just did the math to see approximately how many pounds of .44 mag slugs I have injected into the environment in the last 15 years.

Now I feel guilty. NOT.
Old December 2, 2007, 03:14 AM   #10
TargetTerror

Quote:
Heh. Just did the math to see approximately how many pounds of .44 mag slugs I have injected into the environment in the last 15 years.

Now I feel guilty. NOT.
Old December 2, 2007, 04:24 PM   #11
WSM MAGNUM

I did a post a while back with the same problem, but with .357 Mag. cases. Funny thing is, the problem was solved when I used the old stand-by lube (RCBS case lube on a pad) I had for years before switching to Imperial size die wax that I use all the time now. I only had this problem with .357 Mag. cases.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old December 4, 2007, 08:09 AM   #12
Thesenator

TT,

Be careful with that One Shot lube, and don't spare it. Of all the choices out there, it would be my last.

Go to your local pharmacy and ask the phamacist for a tube of "Lanolin Hydrous" and a bottle of 90% or better isopropyl alcohol. Addd the entire tube of lanolin into the bottle and shake until the solution turns yellowish and the lanlin dissolves.....and violla....you have an equivilant to Dillon Spray lube. You will encounter some separation but a good shaking before application will keep enough dissolved to work well.

I use this mixture on my rifle brass and have never had a stuck case. Some don't like the greasy feeling it leaves but used in the right amount, it makes a great lube and its non contaminating, unlike a petroleum lube.
Old December 4, 2007, 06:42 PM   #13
steelbuster

I've used One Shot for years in all kinds of brass and it's all I use now. A little shot now and then into your carbide sizing die is all you need when sizing pistol brass. It's not necessary to lube all the cases although I usually tumble again after sizing to clean them .
Old December 4, 2007, 06:59 PM   #14
totalloser

My experience is a little lube on straight wall cases (well tapered 9mm and .40) was that a little lube goes a long way and cuts the force DRAMATICALLY required for sizing. I wipe a little in the case hopper (like a drop of rcbs lube) and enough gets on the cases to never have a problem. And that is with carbide dies. Of course .44 is a true straight wall. In a pinch, a little motor oil would probably be ok as long as you are careful where it gets. WAY better than dealing with a stuck case (unless these are home defense loads and MUST be reliable).
All it takes is a light smear from your finger tips.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:51 PM   #15
TargetTerror

I tried loading some 44s again tonight, only this time with some Hornady One Shot Lube. The eyes in this face don't even BEGIN to describe the difference! That is BY FAR the smoothest reloading I have ever done.

I'm a convert! Lube it up!